What is going on here? Bravo for certain things but it seems like it's dying

#261 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 November 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 November 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

He's an absolute sweetheart in real life. A cantankerous one but a sweetheart nonetheless. I'm only posting this really to explain myself for being nice to him in threads as it's a bit hypocritical when I usually call others out. I'm not defending him because he's being a prize plum when he graces us with his presence here. I don't even know what Apt is supposed to have done.

Well hopefully only me and Abyss saw the 1st instance last night. Complete dick move on his part.

Spit it out or PM me with it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#262 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:09 PM

Putting aside my curiosity as to what it was he said that finally pushed him into ban-hammer territory....... a competing Malazan forum? Which according to him SE wants?

Aside from smacking of "Look at me and my big important friend"..... why? What would be the point? (Assuming it's not just more pointless flaming, which it probably is.)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#263 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:16 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 23 November 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 23 November 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

He's an absolute sweetheart in real life. A cantankerous one but a sweetheart nonetheless. I'm only posting this really to explain myself for being nice to him in threads as it's a bit hypocritical when I usually call others out. I'm not defending him because he's being a prize plum when he graces us with his presence here. I don't even know what Apt is supposed to have done.

Well hopefully only me and Abyss saw the 1st instance last night. Complete dick move on his part.

Spit it out or PM me with it.

Don't spit it out. PM it if you have to.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#264 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:17 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 23 November 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Putting aside my curiosity as to what it was he said that finally pushed him into ban-hammer territory....... a competing Malazan forum? Which according to him SE wants?

Aside from smacking of "Look at me and my big important friend"..... why? What would be the point? (Assuming it's not just more pointless flaming, which it probably is.)

Eh, he's repeatedly claimed Steve was not pleased with the way the forum was heading, especially after a newb got slammed like 7 years ago. The best part is that what was originally the spat, "our unfriendliness" to the person, is now being replaced with our TOO friendly behavior. Oh, can't forget the "Ulysses" comparison topic. Steve didn't like that either.

That being said, the more Malazan chat/forums the better. Although, unless the pace picks up again on Malazan novels, there really isn't much to discuss or dive into.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 23 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#265 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 23 November 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

Eh, he's repeatedly claimed Steve was not pleased with the way the forum was heading, especially after a newb got slammed like 7 years ago. The best part is that what was originally the spat, "our unfriendliness" to the person, is now being replaced with our TOO friendly behavior. Oh, can't forget the "Ulysses" comparison topic. Steve didn't like that either.

That being said, the more Malazan chat/forums the better. Although, unless the pace picks up again on Malazan novels, there really isn't much to discuss or dive into.

That last is a fair point. Don't get me wrong, I like coming here and I enjoy reading the old discussion topics, but I definitely missed the heyday of being able to discuss the original books at length. It's been nice to get in on Kharkanas though as I'd joined in time for Forge.

Dare I ask about the Ulysses comparison topic?!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:30 PM

I'm curious to the level at which Mal actually knows and interacts with Steve.

Is Steve really upset with how the forum is going? If so, why do we get that info by proxy through a (to me) unreliable source? And why tell us? To try to shame us into behaving differently? I don't get it at all.

But yeah, the whole "When he comes for Christmas, we will talk about you losers." (paraphrasing) smacks of attention seeking to me.

I'm not at all sure I get it to be honest. Does he actually go out to bars to pick fights? I mean, do people do that? Why? Last I checked, I went out to bars to enjoy good food, company, and beers. Not to pick fights "because reasons".
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#267 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 23 November 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

That last is a fair point. Don't get me wrong, I like coming here and I enjoy reading the old discussion topics, but I definitely missed the heyday of being able to discuss the original books at length. It's been nice to get in on Kharkanas though as I'd joined in time for Forge.

One of the fallouts SE didn't like is brought up here in his response that Hetan posted:

http://forum.malazan...passage-of-tcg/

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#268 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:36 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 23 November 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

http://forum.malazan...stan-in-dublin/

#269 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

I admit it. I'm still not sure what the hell I just read xD mind you, I expect there were bits removed. Am I missing what SE should have been unhappy about (presuming he was)?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#270 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 November 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostLoki, on 23 November 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

It's hard to believe that he is a sweetheart in real life when he acts like the total opposite every time he pops back on here.

It reminds me of my aunt when she used to defend her husband - He's actually really lovely (in response to her husband making a thoroughly racist joke). The two things just don't really go together. :(

I guess the evidence you have to consider is that he and Hetan used to host BBQs which a lot of forum members went to repeatedly. So if he was the dick that is evidenced recently then either we were all stupid/have low standards or he is a nice guy (in the special sense that Mal is "nice"). I won't blame you for thinking we all have low standards now!

Argh it really does sound like I'm defending him and on the evidence here I'm really really not. He knows he's being a git. I guess he's just a special little flower with a bee in his bonnet and some time to kill so he comes here to show us a good time!

I have a lot of time for Mal, he's a really nice guy in real life. I've had plenty of sensible and enjoyable conversations with him on here, and on chat, a few relatively recently as well. I'm sad that he's been banned but some of his posting recently has been incredibly confrontational and abrasive, which baffles me as it doesn't jive with the man I know from the meat world.

#271 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

Maybe he's gone vegetarian?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#272 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:54 PM

If he wants to ramble on about crap that's one thing but he was personally attacking members because they pointed out his behaviour wasn't really appreciated.

If a new member did that they would have been warned and then banned. The whole 'Old guard' excuse as a reason for allowing him to repeatedly break the CoC doesn't jive with me.

People don't always like each other on this forum but it's never been acceptable to allow such mean-spirited arseholery.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#273 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 November 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

He brought it on himself calling someone out and trying to mess with this persons personal/business life in a childish public unneeded way all while claiming to love them... fucking tool. The fewer who saw it the better! Really hoping the other didn't see and never finds out. Wtf did he think was going to happen if even I thought it was bad enuff to say something....it got erased and he freaked out.

Yeah it was bang out of order.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#274 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:22 PM

I missed the whole thing!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#275 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

View Postdeath rattle, on 23 November 2016 - 09:22 PM, said:

I missed the whole thing!

I'm sure he'll be back for another round.

Has anyone talked to Hetan about this? She may be unaware.

#276 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 November 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostLoki, on 23 November 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

It's hard to believe that he is a sweetheart in real life when he acts like the total opposite every time he pops back on here.

It reminds me of my aunt when she used to defend her husband - He's actually really lovely (in response to her husband making a thoroughly racist joke). The two things just don't really go together. :(

I guess the evidence you have to consider is that he and Hetan used to host BBQs which a lot of forum members went to repeatedly. So if he was the dick that is evidenced recently then either we were all stupid/have low standards or he is a nice guy (in the special sense that Mal is "nice"). I won't blame you for thinking we all have low standards now!

Argh it really does sound like I'm defending him and on the evidence here I'm really really not. He knows he's being a git. I guess he's just a special little flower with a bee in his bonnet and some time to kill so he comes here to show us a good time!

I believe you. Their B&B in BC has some positive reviews saying that Bill was very nice, too. I guess he's just really different online than in-person (or at least when not going to bars with a knife in-person).

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 November 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Is Steve really upset with how the forum is going? If so, why do we get that info by proxy through a (to me) unreliable source? And why tell us? To try to shame us into behaving differently? I don't get it at all.

Who knows. SE has had a decade and a half to try and directly engage with us, and other than the first few years has basically always done it "via proxy", and even then very little. The few times he has commented on an actual forum activity (as opposed to just posting a general thoughts/essay or christmas card unconnected to anything in particular) he's been woefully misinformed about what actually happened, too, as if he didn't actually read the threads-in-question.

If Steve is really "upset" with how the forum is going... well A} it's a bit of an odd sentiment since he hasn't seemed to ever really care about it much before, and B} how does he think any other forum is going to be any better, since he evidently has no interest in engaging with it the way, say, Sanderson does. Does he think some other Malazan forum is going to somehow be *more* polite? Or is it that he dreams of a forum where you have to have a PhD in classical studies to be admitted so its a constant fount of critical discourse?

Personally, I doubt any of the above. Probably Mal mentioned his past spat with the forum and Steve, who hasn't thought of the forum once since the end of TCG, went "oh, those folks. Well if you say they were assholes they must be assholes, Bill. How very upsetting for you." and then he stopped caring about the forum once again.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 23 November 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

I admit it. I'm still not sure what the hell I just read xD mind you, I expect there were bits removed. Am I missing what SE should have been unhappy about (presuming he was)?

Actually, very little of the first ~20 posts had to be touched by the mods, IIRC. What you see there is indeed exactly what the issue was about. Overall quite civil discourse about TtH vs Ulysses, and everyone is doing just fine in the "I disagree, but we're all entitled to our opinions" vein. Then someone calmly points out LoT is stereotyping the Irish and he starts throwing a tantrum of sarcastic counter-history, spouting idiotic phrases like << back on thread. none of you seem to see the signifigance of whats staring you in the face? why did SE use an ox pov? >> and << i'll put my intellectual cock away >> at which point things devolved into a more heated argument (which was pruned).

Somehow SE only decided to read (or more likely didn't even read) the first post in the thread and then the later upset stuff, turning it in his head into the rather twisted "the whole forum ganged up on this poor soul who was just politely expressing an opinion of liking both TtH and Ulysses, mercilessly raging at him for having the gall to innocently enjoy my book"... rather than more accurate "this guy really liked TtH and Ulysses, everyone was fine with it, then he was a racist and confrontational ass and people didn't like that part".

Pretty disappointing of a reaction from the author whom we would otherwise think from his books that he wouldn't so easily jump to conclusions.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 23 November 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Deductive logic: He shat on Hetan?

I don't think it's that kind of B&B.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#277 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostD, on 23 November 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 23 November 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

Actually, very little of the first ~20 posts had to be touched by the mods, IIRC. What you see there is indeed exactly what the issue was about. Overall quite civil discourse about TtH vs Ulysses, and everyone is doing just fine in the "I disagree, but we're all entitled to our opinions" vein. Then someone calmly points out LoT is stereotyping the Irish and he starts throwing a tantrum of sarcastic counter-history, spouting idiotic phrases like << back on thread. none of you seem to see the signifigance of whats staring you in the face? why did SE use an ox pov? >> and << i'll put my intellectual cock away >> at which point things devolved into a more heated argument.

Somehow SE only decided to read (or more likely didn't even read) the first post in the thread and then the later upset stuff, turning it in his head into the rather twisted "the whole forum ganged up on this poor soul who was just politely expressing an opinion of liking both TtH and Ulysses, mercilessly raging at him for having the gall to innocently enjoy my book"... rather than more accurate "this guy really liked TtH and Ulysses, everyone was fine with it, then he was a racist and confrontational ass and people didn't like that part".

Pretty disappointing of a reaction from the author whom we would otherwise think from his books that he wouldn't so easily jump to conclusions.

Cheers for the explanation D'rek. Can only draw the same conclusion - i.e. pretty disappointing.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#278 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

Lol. You never know, D'rek. Crazy in the head, crazy in the... head.

#279 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 23 November 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

Lol. You never know, D'rek. Crazy in the head, crazy in the... head.

I don't know what this means, but I assume the correct reaction is "ew". :(

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#280 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

The Heart Is A Lonely Pooper
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users