Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wu SPOILERS series

#1 User is offline   sideswipe 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:23 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered already. I just finished DL and really enjoyed it. Do you guys think Wu and the many names he'll go by later is also Iskaral Pust? The tie ins to the bhoka'rala and mannerisms seem to point to him being one of Wu's manifestations. There is an exchange below Pung's building where Dorin is annoyed with Wu having the disguise of an old man and tells him "you can drop that with me". Wu says, "No. Not an appearance. I inhabit all my disguises now." That really stuck out to me. It makes it seem likely to me that through out the main series Pust is simply Shadowthrone pushing events the way he wants. Like I said I apologize if this was know or a forgone conclusion. Or I'm just crazy.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:25 AM

It's not an oft-discussed theory, actually, and definitely not a foregone conclusion. But it has occurred to me. I do prefer thinking IP is a different person though -- he just strikes me as funnier that way. And of course the 'old man' guise does come back around as Warran anyway (and, I suppose, the ST we know from the main series).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

That said, when you think about it, mages are pretty long-lived anyway, so even aside from all the life-lengthening effects of the Azath that the Old Guard get, there's really no reason for Kellanved to be an old man either. I guess DL confirms it, but even 100 years later I still think the old man visage is a disguise. We never see the real ST.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

I always suspected this too but the dude is too good to leave any incriminating evidence :-)
ST is simply too suspicious to give so much power to somebody else :-)

#5 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:58 AM

It could be true but we see both Shadowthrone and Iskural Pust together at Shadow keep in HoC. Considering they were alone with only Cotillion there it would seem like a waste of time for Shadowthrone to do this unless he just likes being in two different places at once all the time, or he is just fucking with Cotillion as usual.

This post has been edited by Kellanved's shadow: 07 August 2016 - 01:59 AM

"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#6 User is offline   sideswipe 

• Recruit

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostKellanved, on 07 August 2016 - 01:58 AM, said:

It could be true but we see both Shadowthrone and Iskural Pust together at Shadow keep in HoC. Considering they were alone with only Cotillion there it would seem like a waste of time for Shadowthrone to do this unless he just likes being in two different places at once all the time, or he is just fucking with Cotillion as usual.

Ahh, I had forgot about that.

#7 User is offline   Amby Bole 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

About iskaral's identitie... I was reading Deadhouse gates again... when mappo ikarium fiddler crokus and apsalar were on the shadow temple... Iskaral remembered when he was young and played on his aunt Tulla's garden. Tulla, same as Hish Tulla, or house Tulla.

So, wild idea rushed into my head... Edur? He is described as Dal honese..

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

View PostAmby Bole, on 24 August 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

About iskaral's identitie... I was reading Deadhouse gates again... when mappo ikarium fiddler crokus and apsalar were on the shadow temple... Iskaral remembered when he was young and played on his aunt Tulla's garden. Tulla, same as Hish Tulla, or house Tulla.

So, wild idea rushed into my head... Edur? He is described as Dal honese..

Nice spot.... which chapter? Its been a while since I last read DG

#9 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

Nice catch! Chapter 11.
Quoted from Kindle version.

The High Priest skidded along the wall, gasping, then straightened and began adjusting his robe. He spoke in a rasp. "precipitous youth! I am reminded of my own melodramatic gestures when I but toddle about in Aunt Tulla's yard. Bullying the chickens when they objected to the straw hats I had spent hours weaving. Incapable of appreciating the intricate plaits I devised, I was deeply offended." "She'll look good in my new and improved straw hat --"

#10 User is offline   Amby Bole 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

Yeppp, that's the one =)

Lets go wild now xD

#11 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:52 PM

This is the scene that came to my mind when I read the OP speculation about Shadowthrone = Pust. With only Cotillion as a witness it makes no sense for ST to have a conversation with himself as Pust. And remember, Pust's antics in that scene had ST on the verge of pitching a fit.
On the question of there being a connection between Pust's "Aunt Tulla" and "Hish Tulla/House Tulla" I think that's pretty remote. Akin to the unlikelyness of a connection between Iskaral Pust and Iskar Jarak.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#12 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostKruppe of Darujhistan, on 06 October 2016 - 10:52 PM, said:

This is the scene that came to my mind when I read the OP speculation about Shadowthrone = Pust. With only Cotillion as a witness it makes no sense for ST to have a conversation with himself as Pust. And remember, Pust's antics in that scene had ST on the verge of pitching a fit.
On the question of there being a connection between Pust's "Aunt Tulla" and "Hish Tulla/House Tulla" I think that's pretty remote. Akin to the unlikelyness of a connection between Iskaral Pust and Iskar Jarak.

Remember ST is completely crazy. I wouldn't put it past him to have an argument with himself. But I do agree that it is highly unlikely that they are the same person.
"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users