Malazan Empire: Coup attempt in Turkey - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coup attempt in Turkey It's all kicking off...

#21 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

View PostKanyemander West, on 16 July 2016 - 01:52 AM, said:

I dunno about all the various outcomes, but consensus seems to be that a failed coup helps legitimize and reinforce his autocratic tendencies.

He is the mastermind behind this coup then! Or I read too many books

I am not a fan of Edrogan but a coup hardly seems better. I hope for Turkey's sake its resolved soon

#22 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

Okay, coup d'état failed, purge in the army and the judiciary started, a mob on the street that is lynching captives. And death penality is maybe coming back.
Sounds like a good weekend for Erdogan. And like the end of the democracy in Turkey

#23 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, while everyone's blaring about keeping democracy alive by not letting Erdogan be removed. I want to facepalm really badly, but that was to be expected.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#24 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

There is a theory that he engineered this whole thing and while I always take such things lightly, it certainly has worked out extremely well for him... He gets to purge the army and judicial system and replace to people with those he controls, all in the name of "the democratic process."
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

But surely if he has orchestrated this, he wouldn't have had to resort to FaceTime from an airplane? He'd have heroically bounced his image in HD from a bunch of predesignated communication satellites to all available terrestial news feeds.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#26 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

Adds a sense of legitimacy? I dunno...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 July 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

There is a theory that he engineered this whole thing and while I always take such things lightly, it certainly has worked out extremely well for him... He gets to purge the army and judicial system and replace to people with those he controls, all in the name of "the democratic process."

I thought this was all just conspiracy BS but then he's already rounded up 6000 judges/military staff and suspended 8000 officers. That is quick work...

This coup sounds like a cull.

Erdogan screams to me dictator.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#28 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostGorefest, on 18 July 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

But surely if he has orchestrated this, he wouldn't have had to resort to FaceTime from an airplane? He'd have heroically bounced his image in HD from a bunch of predesignated communication satellites to all available terrestial news feeds.

Then again, a true believer in the revolution might have accidentally shot him and/or people may have figured out this was a sham.

There seems a lot of confusion about who was involved, as the details of this being a Gulenist plot (who mostly had followers in the police apparently) don't completely fit. Neither does the army top seem to be involved. It seems it was fairly badly organised: the attempt to shut down the media was amateurish at best as none of the private stations were closed.
But no matter who was involved, it is Erdogan who profits. The current cull is quite frightening.

I guess this does close the door for a while on Turkey joining the EU, though.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#29 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Yes an why is the culling judges? How were they involved?

And it seems like the list must have been ready to go of who to cull or this man is efficient!

#30 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, don't think he directly staged the coup but he probably knew that a coup was a likely possibility at some point and there is a good chance he already had a blacklist of people he wanted to get rid of. It probably just happened a bit sooner than expected.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#31 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

Turkey actually had a history of pro-secularist military coups, so the failure of this one is likely a step back.

Not to say Turkey's gonna become Iran 2.0, but it's worrying since Erdogn has been rather pro-traditionalist, to put it mildly. If he had any plans on tightening the screws on human rights etc, the coup certainly gave him a carte blanche to do that and strengthen his personal monopoly on power.

Not sure if he's jailing any of his principal political opponents, or if he is still confident of popular support.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#32 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

He didn't have to plan the coup to take advantage of its failure--could he's just an astute dictator who understand politics of authoritarian rule.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users