Malazan Empire: Awesome book, would like to see more rope - spoiler alert - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Awesome book, would like to see more rope - spoiler alert

#1 User is offline   misteradam 

• Paint Sniffer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:02 AM

This is the first I.C.E. book I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Def recommend it to fans of the original series. It was nice reading many characters I'm already familiar with in a different light. Looking forward to the next one.

I'm OK with many plot points being left open ended as I've seen others discuss here ( Abandoned children/Rheena, Ho's homunculi/nature of Ullara ) with the assumption that these will be tied up somewhere in the next few books.

However, I do feel a little tip teased about the ropes.

The author foreshadowed from the very beginning of the novel that one could never carry enough rope... Dorin practiced his moves in Ullara's tower with rope, he even vengefully coiled the ropes used to tie her up with what I thought at the time was the intention to use them. He even escaped from a difficult situation after being tied up with rope. But not once do I remember Dorin actually using any of this rope to fight with. The one time he actually attempted to use rope as a grappling hook chasing the broken building, it didn't work because he didn't have enough! I was especially waiting for it during the duel with the other student of Foraj, like it is supposed to be his signature move that separates him even from equally trained peers.

Did I.C.E. do this on purpose just to tease me, or perhaps he is waiting until Dancer earns a few more stripes and works his way into the role of The Rope.

To sum it up - 8/10 would read again but needs more rope. I'm looking forward to the next one!

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:34 AM

I have a feeling the next book they will become pirates and take over the rope industry. Pirates are always dealing with rope, and when you run the industry, you can pretty much have all you want.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:20 AM

I figure its coming. The hints were there but he clearly hadn't earned that name yet.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

First Esslemont book? Would like to hear your thoughts about Return of the Crimson Guard after you read it. There will be some familiar faces from this book. :D

And yeah, it will probably take some time until he can kill two dozen Edur with his rope. I don't think that a rope can really be used in a fight if it is not a magical rope. I always guessed he had it with him in case that he would be asked to not ruin the carpet during a job. Okay, would be a bit much rope just for that.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

| dunno.... stick a couple of weights at the ends of a strong rope and you have a decent manriki-gusari type thing.

It won't slash flesh the way his shadowrope does, but it could still be effective.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 23 June 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

First Esslemont book? Would like to hear your thoughts about Return of the Crimson Guard after you read it. There will be some familiar faces from this book. :D

And yeah, it will probably take some time until he can kill two dozen Edur with his rope. I don't think that a rope can really be used in a fight if it is not a magical rope. I always guessed he had it with him in case that he would be asked to not ruin the carpet during a job. Okay, would be a bit much rope just for that.

If you diss the rope, he might just pay you a visit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users