Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 89 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#1501 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2022 - 08:01 PM

And I used to have great respect for the Queen until she decided to spend a small fortune to try and keep her favourite son out of prison and pay off his victim(s).
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1502 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 08 September 2022 - 08:41 PM

My mug with all of the Kings and Queens of England on it is now out of date!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1503 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:58 PM

View PostGorefest, on 08 September 2022 - 08:01 PM, said:

And I used to have great respect for the Queen until she decided to spend a small fortune to try and keep her favourite son out of prison and pay off his victim(s).

Posted Image

'QAnon Is Losing It Over the Queen’s Death

“May she burn in hell for eternity,” [...] “So happy! The evil witch is dead,” [...]

[...] In the hours before her death, some referenced wild QAnon conspiracies about the queen participating in satanic rituals and drinking the blood of children: “They’re preparing the black mass and baby buffet as we sit here,” adding: “I think you’ll find she’s already gone.”

[...] “She's been dead, they had to find the right time to break the news.”'

Even a broken and twisted clock....

'On the Great Awakening, a QAnon message board[...] “She died several months ago. Remember she went through a transition or whatever. That was the embalming process. CGI and body doubles are in place.”

[...] wrote about a picture released last week of the queen shaking hands with [...] Liz Truss: “That old lady doesn't even look like the queen lol.”'

[...] “Maybe that’s the cleaning woman, but that isn’t the woman who has been playing the Queen.”'

QAnon Is Losing It Over the Queen’s Death

Actually might be better if they were replaced by CGI... their costumes could certainly be more interesting.

Come to think of it, why didn't she wear the crown around more? Worried somebody might steal it? Too heavy? Probably too heavy for Charles too then. They should be required to wear a heavy (and very glittery) crown in exchange for being on the dole. If they can't bear the pain and sacrifice required by the crown, it's time to pass it on....

#1504 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 08 September 2022 - 11:24 PM

Funeral and coronation ratings are going to make the weddings ratings look like a small blip. We all knew this was coming and now that it has its fucking weird and a total system shock. Wouldn’t be surprised if The Crown is number 1 on Netflix tomorrow. I’m rather glad King(fuck that feels strange to say) Charles has decided to keep his name. It would be hard to call him whatever he chose otherwise. She was a legend and I’m saddened at her loss.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#1505 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 September 2022 - 12:01 AM

View PostCancelled, on 08 September 2022 - 11:24 PM, said:

Funeral and coronation ratings are going to make the weddings ratings look like a small blip. We all knew this was coming and now that it has its fucking weird and a total system shock. Wouldn't be surprised if The Crown is number 1 on Netflix tomorrow. I'm rather glad King(fuck that feels strange to say) Charles has decided to keep his name. It would be hard to call him whatever he chose otherwise. She was a legend and I'm saddened at her loss.

It would be hard to call him 'Arthur' without laughing too hard to get the words out... Biden's stutter would return in the form of a stutter-laugh. (He'd accidentally call the Monarchy the Malarkey---again, even a broken and decaying clock...)

#1506 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 September 2022 - 12:30 AM

'Twitter has removed a tweet by an applied linguistics professor [...] “I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping genocidal empire is finally dying,” Carnegie Melon Professor Uju Anya wrote. “May her pain be excruciating.” [...] Jeff Bezos, who rebuffed the professor’s comment, asking: “This is someone supposedly working to make the world better? I don’t think so. Wow.”'

Twitter Removes Brutal Tweet Wishing ‘Pain’ on Dying Queen Elizabeth

Of course would-be Space-Emperor Jeff Bezos is defending her....

'Uju Anya
@UjuAnya

If anyone expects me to express anything but disdain for the monarch who supervised a government that sponsored the genocide that massacred and displaced half my family and the consequences of which those alive today are still trying to overcome, you can keep wishing upon a star.'

(1) Uju Anya on Twitter

Posted Image

#1507 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 September 2022 - 01:01 AM

Thinking about the disruption to a lot of stuff, one being the national anthem. So that will be modified, right?

First line: "God save our gracious Queen."

How will that be reworked - "God save our valorous King"? Just spit ballin' a potential. Rather weak though.

Not sure when the anthem would next be performed on an international stage, but the World Cup starts in November.

#1508 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 September 2022 - 01:42 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 September 2022 - 01:01 AM, said:

Thinking about the disruption to a lot of stuff, one being the national anthem. So that will be modified, right?

How will that be reworked - "God save our valorous King"? Just spit ballin' a potential. Rather weak though.

Not sure when the anthem would next be performed on an international stage, but the World Cup starts in November.

'The lyrics as published in the Gentleman's Magazine in 1745 ran:

God save great George our king,

[...] A text based on the 1st Book of Kings [...] "And all the people rejoic'd, and said: God save the King! Long live the King! May the King live for ever, Amen", has been sung at every coronation since that of King Edgar in 973. [...] "God Save the King" was a watchword of the Royal Navy, with the response being "Long to reign over us" [...]

In 1745, The Gentleman's Magazine published "God save our lord the king[...]

Standard version in the United Kingdom

God save our gracious King!'

https://en.wikipedia...d_Save_the_King

Oh so gracious (so fresh and so gracious...). Maybe consider junking that 'long to reign over us' bit too?...

'God save great Charles our king' lol... 'let's pray for him, since only Go* can save him....'

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 September 2022 - 01:42 AM

#1509 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2022 - 06:27 AM

I'm not a royalist at all, but I can respect that she dedicated her life to service as an individual. I might not understand it but everyone's entitled to whatever level of grief they feel about the Queen passing.

However, I find the idea of revelling in the death of anyone pretty revolting. I'm sure we've all known people we felt the planet was better off without, but openly celebrating it feels wrong to me.

Jonathan Pie is linked upthread, but I think he's spot on with this:

My link

Apologies, never figured out how to embed a Tweet!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 09 September 2022 - 06:30 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1510 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 September 2022 - 07:32 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 September 2022 - 01:01 AM, said:

You do realise the UK has had kings before, right? They'll just pull the previous version out of the mothballs.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1511 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2022 - 07:37 AM

Presumably the version used for her father George VI will come back into usage?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1512 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 September 2022 - 07:46 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 08 September 2022 - 12:34 PM, said:

I think Starmer is probably a decent guy. His background and career path suggest he is well intentioned. The problem is the Labour-centres obsession with the Tony Blair view that you have to be in power before you can change anything. Therefore they tread this ridiculous line of trying not give the Tories and UK right wing press any ammunition against them and makes them terrible as an opposition and ripe for accusations of "all being the same".

I had a chat with my sister who quit her Labour party membership and activism. She's massively left wing. She said she would prefer the Labour party to not be in power but to be right and decent. If Labour had spent the last 12 years of Tory government being really vocal at a basic level about workers rights and climate change, they would have a mega back catalogue of stuff to prove they were on the side of working people. Instead they caveat everything for the right wing press and the original intent is lost.

I dunno which I agree with. Is it better to have a limp wristed centre Labour government that has sold its soul but at least people aren't freezing to death or a righteous blaze of opposition glory while the Tories take us all over a cliff?

Proportional Representation is the only answer to making them all more honest.

One reason Labour's membership tanked so hard after Corbyn stepped down was Starmer's purging of the left-wing elements in the party. Frankly, after the last twelve years, I'm not surprised that a left wing government didn't get in because this government and those preceding it have done their damndest to make the worker see anything that isn't corporatist or authoritarian as their enemy, so I would actually take a milquetoast Milliband government as a compromise. Predictable, boring, a bit shit. But not a catastrophic clusterfuck.

Given how unhappy everyone is and how there's a much larger push for renationalisation of infrastructure and utilities, I kind of feel that the sensible thing for Starmer to do is to make good on the promises he came to leadership through, and to actually set about opposing. All he does now is enable, and if that postie friend is right about him, he could actually oppose but chooses not to because doing so might make his party more electable, and to me that's tantamount to a betrayal. I can't vote for that party in good conscience as they are now.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1513 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 September 2022 - 07:54 AM

View PostGorefest, on 08 September 2022 - 08:01 PM, said:

I feel you there. For me, the respect died with us proles being told that we must endure more financial hardships as she sat in front of a gilded piano in a room that probably costs more than most peoples' homes. I'm pretty sure my thoughts on the wealth cult are already known so I'll say no more.

#1514 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2022 - 08:31 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 September 2022 - 07:46 AM, said:

All he does now is enable, and if that postie friend is right about him, he could actually oppose but chooses not to because doing so might make his party more electable, and to me that's tantamount to a betrayal. I can't vote for that party in good conscience as they are now.

The only problem I have with this stance is what's the point if they're not electable? Being principled in opposition is all well and good (and I appreciate he's not giving the impression of that) but if it means you're never in power and never get to work for the public good, then a fat lot of good it does everyone.

As Mez said, PR would solve a lot of the problems we have, but we don't have it and Starmer has to work within the system we have. I'd like to think if they got into power he'd feel more freedom to back the things he agrees with - the right wing press can whine all they like at that point, they can't force an election. However, I appreciate he could well get into a power and prove to be exactly what he's showing now. We'll never know unless Labour are elected (or Labour in coalition, I guess).

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 09 September 2022 - 08:33 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1515 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 September 2022 - 08:48 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 September 2022 - 08:31 AM, said:

The only problem I have with this stance is what's the point if they're not electable? Being principled in opposition is all well and good (and I appreciate he's not giving the impression of that) but if it means you're never in power and never get to work for the public good, then a fat lot of good it does everyone.

I do think a highly principled opposition can do good because in theory they should be able to shape and articulate public sentiment and get the government to tow closer to reality when it gets seriously out of line. Labour have been terrible as an opposition because they have preferred to play party politics (with the exception of Corbyn). The press is a hopeless factor too. The electoral system has the honest well intention MPs trapped in a Hobsons Choice of saying what they really believe vs what the party political machine wants them to do.

I hate it! The only MP you can really believe in is one with a big local personal mandate who doesn't play to the party. Jess Philips, for example. She's there to do the right thing, not be popular and she works really hard for her constituency.

I'm sad about the queen but also confused at my sadness as I'm not a Royalist. Most keen to find out what day we get off work!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 09 September 2022 - 08:49 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1516 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:02 AM

That's a good point - and I agree, they've been a very ineffective opposition. I think my frustration is in the feeling that if there's no vote for the chance of change (albeit, they could and need to demonstrate that they are a change in a much better fashion) then the Tories remain in power and the country keeps burning.

It might be naive desperation on my part to believe a change couldn't possibly be worse, but it's the only hope I feel exists. I agree, it's a hateful and awful system.

Jess Philips is brilliant, and I like Nadia Whitmore a lot too for similar reasons. If the system allowed people like that to be the focus of power it would be so much better.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1517 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:58 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 September 2022 - 08:48 AM, said:

I'm sad about the queen but also confused at my sadness as I'm not a Royalist.

Could it perhaps be because, however you might feel about the monarchy, the death of QEII sort of symbolizes the end of an era?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1518 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:53 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 September 2022 - 08:31 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 September 2022 - 07:46 AM, said:

All he does now is enable, and if that postie friend is right about him, he could actually oppose but chooses not to because doing so might make his party more electable, and to me that's tantamount to a betrayal. I can't vote for that party in good conscience as they are now.

As Mez said, PR would solve a lot of the problems we have, but we don't have it and Starmer has to work within the system we have. I'd like to think if they got into power he'd feel more freedom to back the things he agrees with - the right wing press can whine all they like at that point, they can't force an election. However, I appreciate he could well get into a power and prove to be exactly what he's showing now. We'll never know unless Labour are elected (or Labour in coalition, I guess).

So far, being 'electable' has amounted to pandering to corporations, stripping public services, being utterly contemptuous of the public and placing half of the country into tangible poverty of one form or another. So by playing the game of appearing 'electable' in the Tory sense, the opposition alienate a large portion of their voterbase. Then you lead into the catch 22 of younger voters being so disillusioned that they just don't bother, and then the ones voting are the boomer brexit voterbase (whose voting choices appear to be about to kill them, but that's by the by). The more openly corrupt our political system is and is shown to be, the more apathetic people get because no matter what happens, either nothing changes or things get worse.

#1519 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 September 2022 - 12:12 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 September 2022 - 06:27 AM, said:

I'm not a royalist at all, but I can respect that she dedicated her life to service as an individual. I might not understand it but everyone's entitled to whatever level of grief they feel about the Queen passing.

However, I find the idea of revelling in the death of anyone pretty revolting. I'm sure we've all known people we felt the planet was better off without, but openly celebrating it feels wrong to me.

My link

'Let the Descendants of Britain’s Empire Have Their Glee

[...] anti-monarchy tweeters [...] highlighted not only the bloody history of British rule, but the queen’s own role in perpetuating it—whether through history-obscuring initiatives, direct orders for violent military crackdowns on colonial dissent in Yemen, and her other efforts at halting the mass independence movements that took place, and succeeded, under her reign.'

'“To this day, she has never publicly admitted, let alone apologized, for the oppression, torture, dehumanization and dispossession visited upon people in the colony of Kenya before and after she acceded to the throne.”'

'[...] the enduring injustices of the slave trade. Views of poverty and underdevelopment resulting from centuries-spanning exploitation. Displays of plundered objects from your own country as trinkets in museums. The very presence of an iconic Indian jewel on the crown [...] The whitewashed legacies of empire officials who were violent bigots. None of which was ever actually corrected, with apologies or trillion-dollar compensation or even basic acknowledgement. [...]

If Britons are feeling some sense of dislocation now regarding the queen, what do they think their former colonial subjects have felt all their lives? Especially after how the central palace freaked out when Prince Harry married Meghan Markle, a Black woman? [...]

[...] she consistently papered over the crimes of the Commonwealth, through moves such as Operation Legacy, as she bathed in luxury afforded in large part by international theft.'

Queen Elizabeth dead: Twitter jokes, memes, and glee from British colonial diaspora, explained

#1520 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2022 - 01:01 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 09 September 2022 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 September 2022 - 06:27 AM, said:

My link

'Let the Descendants of Britain's Empire Have Their Glee

[...] anti-monarchy tweeters [...] highlighted not only the bloody history of British rule, but the queen's own role in perpetuating it—whether through history-obscuring initiatives, direct orders for violent military crackdowns on colonial dissent in Yemen, and her other efforts at halting the mass independence movements that took place, and succeeded, under her reign.'

'"To this day, she has never publicly admitted, let alone apologized, for the oppression, torture, dehumanization and dispossession visited upon people in the colony of Kenya before and after she acceded to the throne."'

'[...] the enduring injustices of the slave trade. Views of poverty and underdevelopment resulting from centuries-spanning exploitation. Displays of plundered objects from your own country as trinkets in museums. The very presence of an iconic Indian jewel on the crown [...] The whitewashed legacies of empire officials who were violent bigots. None of which was ever actually corrected, with apologies or trillion-dollar compensation or even basic acknowledgement. [...]

If Britons are feeling some sense of dislocation now regarding the queen, what do they think their former colonial subjects have felt all their lives? Especially after how the central palace freaked out when Prince Harry married Meghan Markle, a Black woman? [...]

[...] she consistently papered over the crimes of the Commonwealth, through moves such as Operation Legacy, as she bathed in luxury afforded in large part by international theft.'

Queen Elizabeth dead: Twitter jokes, memes, and glee from British colonial diaspora, explained

Fair enough, I can't claim to even begin to guess what those people feel.

Perhaps the takeaway is I'm fortunate enough that nothing has happened to me that is negative enough that I'd be gleeful at the perpetrator's death.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 89 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users