Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 88 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#1481 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:24 PM

Like I said I think she has died already. It is well known the BBC and the army have well established procedures in place for the death of the Queen. I think they're getting things in place to make the official announcement and start all the other processes.

We'll probably get a day off in a week or so.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1482 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:33 PM

And there it is. She's gone. They just called it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 September 2022 - 05:34 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1483 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:33 PM

It's just been announced, she is dead.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1484 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:37 PM

Never understood the infatuation with the monarchy; always found it creepy. She had the position for a very long time, so good on her, RIP.

[EDIT]The steps they go through after the announcement of her death is bonkers. Like all of the countries that have bent the knee will be on pause for a week or more.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 08 September 2022 - 05:40 PM

#1485 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:48 PM

King Chucky it is then... (or is King Chuck more dignified?... since it sounds closer to 'Trump')....

#1486 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:52 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 September 2022 - 05:48 PM, said:

King Chucky it is then... (or is King Chuck more dignified?... since it sounds closer to 'Trump')....

He will probably use King George VII actually, not Charles.

EDIT: Because the last 2 King Charles's were....a little too interesting to take his name after.

He could also choose Arthur...LOL.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 September 2022 - 06:04 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1487 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:01 PM

Fuck, our money is going to change....she's graced our bills here for so long...it's gonna be weird.

Also Bond now serves on HIS Majesties Secret Service.

#1488 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 September 2022 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 September 2022 - 05:48 PM, said:

He will probably use King George VII actually, not Charles.

King Gorge would seem more appropriate.... 'Socrates debates with the sophist seeking the true definition of rhetoric, attempting to pinpoint the essence of rhetoric and unveil the flaws of the sophistic oratory popular in Athens at the time. The art of persuasion was widely considered necessary for political and legal advantage in classical Athens, and rhetoricians promoted themselves as teachers of this fundamental skill. Some, like Gorgias, were foreigners [Germans] attracted to [...] because of its reputation for intellectual and cultural sophistication money. Socrates suggests that he is one of the few Athenians to practice true politics'

Gorgias (dialogue)

#1489 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:10 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 September 2022 - 04:27 PM, said:

The BBC has gone, predictably, nuts about this. I think they've cancelled most of their programming and have lots of different correspondents stood outside various royal properties (Buckingham Palace, Windsor and Balmoral) and talking about... Well, nothing. Like, not really any news is coming through and this is kind of what they're basically waffling on...

To be fair, they are state owned so they probably have to do that.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1490 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:11 PM

And it is king Charles III. Or at least that is what Truss says.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1491 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:17 PM

View PostGorefest, on 08 September 2022 - 06:11 PM, said:

And it is king Charles III. Or at least that is what Truss says.

Huh. I find it odd he'd lash himself to the legacies of the previous kings of that name, one of whom was tried and executed...but maybe it's not so odd considering the man....

eDIT: Also it's possible she's dumb enough to have goofed on it and just called him that without thinking...she is Liz Truss after all.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 September 2022 - 06:20 PM

#1492 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:27 PM

True, i cannot disregard that possibility. If anyone would be capable of a screwup like that, it would be Liz Truss.

#1493 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:34 PM

View PostGorefest, on 08 September 2022 - 06:27 PM, said:

True, i cannot disregard that possibility. If anyone would be capable of a screwup like that, it would be Liz Truss.

She should go further with her diversity initiative and make an Afro-British royal the new monarch---aren't there plenty of Nigerian princes with British citizenship? There could be a reality TV show: Britain's Next Top Royal (... Island!). Seriously, it would be a major improvement....

#1494 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:41 PM

Aye, confirmed as Charles III...

I'm far from a monarchy fan but I have nothing but respect for the Queen and the service she has gave over the last 70 years, a sad day indeed.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#1495 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:46 PM

View Postchamp, on 08 September 2022 - 06:41 PM, said:

Aye, confirmed as Charles III...

I'm far from a monarchy fan but I have nothing but respect for the Queen and the service she has gave over the last 70 years, a sad day indeed.

It also feel like a sort of capper to the whole era with Gorbachev dying a couple of weeks back. The remnants of the old guard from that whole era I grew up near the end of has now passed away.

#1496 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:46 PM

It's gonna a be a bit of a weird time for those of us who are now in His Majesty's Civil Service... Fortunately I don't think we'll have to change our stationery; because that's a ball-ache..

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 08 September 2022 - 08:22 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1497 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:55 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 08 September 2022 - 06:46 PM, said:

It's gonna a be a bit of a weird time for those of us who are now in His Majesty's Civil Service... Fortunately I don't think we'll have to change our stationary; because that's a ball-ache..

I take it you're not senior enough in the civil service to be on the accession council then?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1498 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:13 PM

Very, very far from it. But not as far from it as I used to be a couple of years ago.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1499 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:25 PM

Did the former duke and duchess of sussex make the trip to be with the rest of the family? That had to be weird. Imagine the quiet judgment evident on faces as they fake hugged each other.

#1500 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:59 PM

Meghan stayed in London.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 08 September 2022 - 07:59 PM

Share this topic:

• 88 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users