Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 88 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#981 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:07 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 June 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

The BBC is now just a mouthpiece for the Tory party and the dissolution and privatisation of the NHS has been a Tory aim for decades, they ain't saying shit

'Tories (also an insult, derived from the Middle Irish word tóraidhe, modern Irish tóraí—"outlaw", "robber", from the Irish word tóir, meaning "pursuit" since outlaws were "pursued men") were those who opposed the Exclusion Bill (the Abhorrers).'

Please stop appropriating my ancestral Irish culture and call them by their truly translated names!

(By the might invested in me as an American investor, I command y'all....)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 June 2019 - 01:17 AM

#982 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 03 June 2019 - 01:07 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 June 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

The BBC is now just a mouthpiece for the Tory party and the dissolution and privatisation of the NHS has been a Tory aim for decades, they ain't saying shit

'Tories (also an insult, derived from the Middle Irish word tóraidhe, modern Irish tóraí—"outlaw", "robber", from the Irish word tóir, meaning "pursuit" since outlaws were "pursued men") were those who opposed the Exclusion Bill (the Abhorrers).'

Please stop appropriating my ancestral Irish culture and call them by their truly translated names!

(By the might invested in me as an American investor, I command y'all....)

If you turn out to be Papa Vinen, I'll piss mesen.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#983 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:44 PM

Look at this guy. Your new PM? Think he can deliver Brexit?
Posted Image

That is a face whose sheer Britishness is perhaps best described as metastasized.
Someone who looks like Eddie Redmayne fucked Willem Dafoe in a Wallace and Gromit cartoon.

- John Oliver (Last Week Tonight with John Oliver)
Posted Image

#984 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

You know the worst thing about this is that for the 48% of the EU Referendum voters who want to stay in Europe this guy is probably the only sensible option. He's supposedly one of only two in the leadership race with any brains. The other being Michael Gove but he applies his brain solely in the pursuit of evil.

Rory Stewart lived and worked in Afghanistan so he's got more balls than the rest of them on the ballot put together.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#985 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

I'm hesitant about any of them but him and *possibly* Sajid Javid seem to be the most palatable...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#986 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:01 PM

...Someone who looks like Eddie Redmayne fucked Willem Dafoe in a Wallace and Gromit cartoon.
- John Oliver (Last Week Tonight with John Oliver)

Wow it's been ages since i've LOL'd and VIMM'd at the same time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#987 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 June 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

I'm hesitant about any of them but him and *possibly* Sajid Javid seem to be the most palatable...

Sajid Javid? Aargh dear gods no.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#988 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

I mean that's my response to all of them because none of them are good people. However the thought of all the Tory/UKIP flip-floppers trying to work with an Asian PM entertains me.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#989 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

Javid is worse than some UKIPpers or even BNPers. Vile odious man.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#990 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:21 PM

Please remember to look at Rory Stewart's voting record or Sajid Javid's horrendous decisions as Home Secretary before making any rash decisions like viewing a Tory positively

The least worst option is our immediate nuclear destruction, or Gove's dark gods descending upon the Earth to flay and flense the flesh from friend and foe
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#991 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 13 June 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

Please remember to look at Rory Stewart's voting record or Sajid Javid's horrendous decisions as Home Secretary before making any rash decisions like viewing a Tory positively

The least worst option is our immediate nuclear destruction, or Gove's dark gods descending upon the Earth to flay and flense the flesh from friend and foe

Gove is a Slaaneshi?

#992 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:26 PM

Oh no, more classical Deep One - Gove famously does not fuck, as per his own wife's newpaper columns.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#993 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

Charlie Stross is having entirely too much fun with this on twitter, albeit rage fun.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#994 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

I wish they would cut to the chase and just agree it's Prime Minister Johnson already. If we're going down the pan let's get on with it.

#995 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:21 PM

They're trying to hold out long enough for Johnson to fuck up so they can sneak whoever can appear most human out of Gove and Hunt in

#996 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

Gods, this country is f***d.

#997 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 June 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

whoever can appear most human out of Gove and Hunt in

Uh, Zed... We have a Bug.

#998 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

After listening to radio 4 for an hour, I'm completely at a loss. The people I didn't vote in are choosing a new leader, from a choice of two proper c***s who are both determined to implement a country ruining policy I also didn't vote for.

All through the coverage, all I hear is the 'Brexit the people want' and 'what the country wants'. Then interviews with leavers about their opinions on the new leader.

Not one single solitary mention or acknowledgement of the half of the country who don't want any of this. It's just utter bollocks, all of it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#999 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

Hard (veering to far) Right populism.

Try and tell a Breklet that things are going the way of 1920s/30s Germany though and they just laugh, because they're too fucking stupid to see it.

#1000 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

They don't care about talking to you (us). They are talking to the people who voted for The Brexit Party in the EU Elections.The detached part of my brain is looking forward to seeing how things are going pan out. Two Tories spoiled their ballots which means they can't stomach either Johnson, Gove or Hunt. There must be more. So when Johnson wins how many will decide to ignore their principles for the sake of Tories remaining in power, or what they think will keep them in power or will they break away? Johnson may even dial down his Brexit rhetoric when he is PM. He has form on flip-flopping, I don't think he actually has any personal convictions other than the ascendance of Boris Johnson. I think he's one of few politicians who might carry off a Brexit U-Turn assuming he has the populist vote. The 1922 committee don't have the numbers to force anything inside the Party and their stance doesn't have popular support nationally to be a sensible audience to pander to long term.

I think Johnson is just an opportunist who used Brexit to get to the top. What he will do up there will be intriguing. And potentially country destroying but we've been teetering on the brink for a while now, the issue needs forcing. I read a letters piece in The Guardian and someone said that Boris Johnson isn't interesting in being PM. He is only interested in having been the PM and how much he can rake in afterwards. Spot on.

I have just read what I have written. I knew the Trump comparison was there but that is even more similar than I had considered before. Prepare for a good few years of Boris, peeps.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 21 June 2019 - 12:57 PM

Share this topic:

• 88 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users