Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#201 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 29 June 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

If they replace him in favour of a Blairite, they'll lose what momentum they had built up, which his being elected is due to and simultaneously responsible for. How they can miss that is beyond me, franky.

Welcome to the Westminster bubble. The same people that consider Corbyn unelectable are the very people that thought brexit would never actually happen.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#202 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostGorefest, on 29 June 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

View PostKanyemander West, on 28 June 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

I'm finding interesting, thanks to the comments in what some of you guys post on FB, how truly universal the denial of white supremacist (or at least isolationist) motives in this whole affair. Every single racist/xenophobic outburst is just one more coincidence, a signpost of nothing in particular. Reminds me of my own dear homeland. Any solace in the fact that as nations, we're not so different after all?

Well, I guess the brexit vote is our equivalent of voting Donald Trump in office, so I guess that shuts up our smug mouths. In my defence, I wasn't allowed a votePosted Image

Cuz we wont britesh 2 b abote britesh m8. Or something to that effect.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#203 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

A little levity, David Tennant reads Scottish tweets lambasting Trump as an idiot with regards to Brexit.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#204 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

Anyone think the disintegration of the labour party and the extreme backbiting and division in the Tories might see a resurgence of the Lib Dems? I like Farron so wouldn't mind that.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#205 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

It's a massive opportunity for both the Lib Dems and the Greens, especially if there is a snap election after the Tory leadership vote. The Lib Dems are probably better placed in terms of the traditional voter just coz, you know, they're traditional, but if Corbyn is ousted a lot of those who were won over by him would probably lean Green.

What's happening at Labour is disgraceful. Instead of uniting behind Corbyn to take advantage of the Tory backbiting, they've torn the party apart at the worst possible time.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#206 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:49 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 29 June 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

Anyone think the disintegration of the labour party and the extreme backbiting and division in the Tories might see a resurgence of the Lib Dems? I like Farron so wouldn't mind that.

Not impossible. Farron has said they will be campaigning for the next general election on remaining in the European Union, so they will hoover a lot of disaffected Remain voters up that way. With Labour in meltdown I can see them doing reasonably well. Maybe not reversing the decline of 2015 but certainly halting it and maybe clawing a few seats back. The Greens have proposed a left-of-centre alliance between the Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and Labour to offer a more coherent opposition to the Tories, which may also be worth considering.

The big struggle will be the smaller parties getting heard. They struggle mightily for airtime and coverage in the papers.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#207 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:44 PM

The inevitable Hitler's bunker parody.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#208 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

I read a good parody set in WoW. It's a bit spoilerific though,

linky
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#209 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

Boris Johnson doesn't want to be the next PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...litics-36672591

Looks like he has realised what he has done. And now instead of taking responsibility he tries to hide and let other people fix his mess. :Rodeo:

#210 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 30 June 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

Boris Johnson doesn't want to be the next PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...litics-36672591

Looks like he has realised what he has done. And now instead of taking responsibility he tries to hide and let other people fix his mess. :Rodeo:

I saw that, and it feeds into that link I posted further up. He's now WELL aware of this shitstorm he'd have to weather as prime minister and all the logistics of what he was so on board with (Leaving)...so now he's trying to slink away.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#211 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

... and still people are denying that we have messed the country up...

I'm seeing a lot of people keep saying that we're fine and that it's just the media fear mongering. Or, as I like to call them, "facts"...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#212 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

Can someone explain quickly. The vote was 52 to 48 percent. I understand the vote is not actually binding on government? Can such a close vote not be grounds for a second?

#213 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

Many seem to think so. The government isn't bound to do anything with it but it would be foolish to ignore (unless you care nothing for your own career or your parties' future.)

What they should have done is written a 2/3 provision into the referendum which means that it would only be a victory should they get over 2/3 of the vote...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#214 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

View PostCause, on 30 June 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

Can someone explain quickly. The vote was 52 to 48 percent. I understand the vote is not actually binding on government? Can such a close vote not be grounds for a second?

It is just a non-binding expression of what the people think. The result not necessarily has to influence the politics. On the other hand it was an official election. So it is hard to ignore it as a PM, if you want to be elected again. A second Brexit-election would nearly be the same. Ignoring the first result and hoping that the next one is better. So it is problematic.
A reelection of the parlament could maybe solve the problem, with the MPs taking a clear position. But could also lead to a very strong UKIP. And with the majority voting system this could end badly.

In other countries you need 60% or 65% in such important questions to avoid this problem.

#215 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Yeah the cut off ha to be somewhere and strictly speaking a majority is 50.01% but barring the rigors of science where everything is done in triplicate I'd have thought it would be smart to maintain the status quo with nothing less than say a Minimum of 55%

#216 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:19 PM

This whole thing is starting to look like a particularly lively episode of GoT...

another potential ruler (Boris) toppled. An unexpected candidate (Gove) rises to the fore. Day'um.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 30 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

#217 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Boris is a shrewd operator. He's gauged the mood in his party and realised he wouldn't get elected as Leader especially when Gove is standing. He won't stand until he's sure he will win.

Wish the fecking Labour party would get on and sort it's shit out. If they have to try and oust Corbyn then at least unite behind a single person.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#218 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

View PostGorefest, on 30 June 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

This whole thing is starting to look like a particularly lively episode of GoT...

another potential ruler (Boris) toppled. An unexpected candidate (Gove) rises to the fore. Day'um.

Unfortunately the potential rulers who are toppled aren't dead.....
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#219 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

That is not dead which eternal lie, and in strange aeons even death may die
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#220 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

This political party broadcast from the Green Party is actually from a few months ago, but it has turned quite topical and strangely premonitory.

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users