• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UEFA EURO 2016 impressions talk

#161 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

Or not.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#162 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

Yeah the second half was ace, but just not enough. Iceland can be proud of their achievements and leave France with their heads high and a loud, terrifying "HOOO!"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#163 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 July 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

This France-Iceland game is painful...

I picked France to win the whole thing, but I am flat out amazed they whupped Iceland like this.

It doesn't make sense in terms of what they've done prior and I'm wondering if they've basically peaked and are about to turn in an awful performance next against... Germany.

Hoping for a France vs Wales tourney final as that'd be the most entertaining possible match.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#164 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:40 AM

France had the better team. Still sad. I hoped for Iceland:Wales. On the other hand Iceland did a great job during the EURO. I hope to see them again in four years. The winner of the hearts. :Rodeo:

#165 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

View Postamphibian, on 04 July 2016 - 04:08 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 July 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

This France-Iceland game is painful...

I picked France to win the whole thing, but I am flat out amazed they whupped Iceland like this.

It doesn't make sense in terms of what they've done prior and I'm wondering if they've basically peaked and are about to turn in an awful performance next against... Germany.

Hoping for a France vs Wales tourney final as that'd be the most entertaining possible match.

Well, whupped... France won the first half, Iceland won the second half...

Plus they have such a qualitatively small squad that they basically played with the same guys almost every match, whereas bigger teams can rotate.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 04 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#166 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:11 AM

watched the replay of BEL-WAL....solid job by Wales. Belgium had plenty of opportunities, but lacked accuracy. and their new defensive line was quite shaky. Sad to see them go, but Wales deserved the win-they capitalized on opportunities, while Belgium didn't.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#167 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:47 AM

Bollocks. We went into our shells a bit there and really missed Ramsey and Davies

How did we lose to that absolute shower of a Portuguese team?

Other than a half decent Ronaldo header and that little Man U reject twat Nani sticking a leg out Portugal offered absolutely nothing.

Oh well it was a fantastic tournament for us, England were shit and Tiste ? You're right you will never hear the end of it Posted Image
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#168 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:43 AM

ugh. PVR is dumb. watched the GER-ITA replay and it cut off after 2nd half. Had to youtube the penalties.

GER-FRA better not go into overtime...

#169 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:13 AM

If the final is Portugal-France, I'm not watching it. I'd rather walk the Chain of Dogs.

#170 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

I boycott this Euro. WTF, a team that won ONE game goes into the final. And if that wasn't enough, Cristiano is after the worst season in 8 years and he's 90 minutes from securing Ballon d'Or for himself. I'm so angry I can't even contain it. I will root for whoever plays against Portugal in the final. Greece was more enjoyable to watch in 2004. Hell, Benitez's Liverpool was a party compared to Portugal 2016.

#171 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

View Postmasan, on 07 July 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

Oh well it was a fantastic tournament for us, England were shit and Tiste ? You're right you will never hear the end of it Posted Image

It was my fault, to be fair. I publicly stated my support of Wales and they lost. :Rodeo:
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#172 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

Damn. I hoped for a final were I would be happy with both teames as the winner. Now I have only one team left I cheered for.

Okay, I hope France:Germany will be an interesting game. But no penalties. Finish the game after 90 minutes please.

#173 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 07 July 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

Damn. I hoped for a final were I would be happy with both teames as the winner. Now I have only one team left I cheered for.

Okay, I hope France:Germany will be an interesting game. But no penalties. Finish the game after 90 minutes please.

I'm the same. Germany to knock France out and then annihilate Portugal in the final. Portugal do NOT deserve to be there (I know, I know, if they managed to get there, surely they deserve to be there? Meh, I'm not sure in this case...)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#174 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 July 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

(I know, I know, if they managed to get there, surely they deserve to be there?)

No, I can prove that is false logic. See this finger? See that eye?

*poke*

I rest my case.

#175 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

The more time I spend wishing Portugal would fail, the better they perform.

So I've just accepted that 3rd time *might* be the charm, and now I just hope Ronaldo retires from international football after this and I can go back to being ambivalent about Portugal.

Still cheering for Germany, obv.

#176 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

Rooting for the Germans. The Germans to rip Ronny's Portugal to shreds.

#177 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

Meh.
Fair play to the French though, that was a good performance. Hope they'll squash the Portuguese now.

#178 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostGorefest, on 07 July 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

Meh.
Fair play to the French though, that was a good performance. Hope they'll squash the Portuguese now.

I was amazed the French went up at the half - the Germans were doing a great job stifling Griezmann and Payet up until the Schweinsteiger handball/penalty. Ozil was tracking back as far as the German box to poke balls away from Griezmann, while Can and Boateng were making sure that sending Kimmich up wasn't an invitation for Payet to run wild over there. Boateng and Howedes did fuck up a couple times and let Giroud and a midfielder get long runs, but luckily that didn't turn out to be much. Griezmann was such a threat to them with his speed and Payet with his constant work-pace that the Germans were willing to let everyone else beat them.

Really great initial game plan from the Germans and Pogba was nearly a non-entity, falling off his feet, and not providing much. Then... Bastian went ape and the game shifted.

Muller had a not-great game. Wonder why he's not moving that well off ball or why Gotze lost his place to Gomez/Draxler, who didn't provide much as a starter.

Great game to watch though - France came out hard and the Germans were prepared to handle that.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 07 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#179 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Should have been the final, really. Portugal is a non-entity this tournament. Well, maybe cry-baby can show on Sunday why he is the best player in the world. And dear gods Pepe might be back. Blegh.

#180 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:08 PM

To make it short. We would have needed this guy:

Attached File  Miroslav_Klose_2014.jpg (19.76K)
Number of downloads: 0

or someone like him. Or a Müller in good shape. Or a Götze with one of his moments of brilliancy.

That Gomez, Khedira and Hummels were missing was not such a big problem. At least not in the beginning.
The handball of Schweinsteiger was stupid, as well as the one from Boateng in the Italian game. But the beginning of the end was that Boateng was no longer able to play, which weakend the defense, and that the goal was too small/the guys always missed it. So many chances but we did not use them.

Okay, all left to say is that I wish France good luck. I would be pissed if Portugal wins the EURO with this performance. (And that we need another Klose :p)

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users