• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Netflix to Adapt Altered Carbon

#41 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Yes BLACK MAN / THIRTEEN is set in the same world, earlier point in time.

Nope, it's a whole new world/universe. He did think about it with the stuff on Mars but ultimately chose to make it a different timeline. BLACK MAN's sequel, THIN AIR, should make that clear.

[ re Land Fit for Heroes ]
But
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Abyss: 11 January 2018 - 06:11 PM
Reason for edit: Land Fit spoiler covered

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#42 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

Abyss just got pwned

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Skidoosh!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostWerthead, on 05 December 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Yes BLACK MAN / THIRTEEN is set in the same world, earlier point in time.

Nope, it's a whole new world/universe. He did think about it with the stuff on Mars but ultimately chose to make it a different timeline. BLACK MAN's sequel, THIN AIR, should make that clear.

Source?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#45 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

Oh no... they Americanized it.

Maybe they just cut the trailer to fit what ever marketing metrics they are targetting but this has none of edge or slick style I got out of the book. Takeshi Kovacs does not need to spout one liners, he just kills you. The old billionaire does not make idle threats. The dialogue in that trailer could not be more generic and inoffensive if they had the staff of Big Bang Theory write it.

Also... what's with the 250 years line? "Double barrel" as in 200 years is the maximum you can serve in the book. And Takeshi served no where close to that if I recall correctly. 250 years should realistically create a gigantic cultural and historical divide between the world and Kovacs.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 11 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 11 January 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

Maybe they just cut the trailer to fit what ever marketing metrics they are targetting but this has none of edge or slick style I got out of the book. Takeshi Kovacs does not need to spout one liners, he just kills you. The old billionaire does not make idle threats. The dialogue in that trailer could not be more generic and inoffensive if they had the staff of Big Bang Theory write it.

Also... what's with the 250 years line? "Double barrel" as in 200 years is the maximum you can serve in the book. And Takeshi served no where close to that if I recall correctly. 250 years should realistically create a gigantic cultural and historical divide between the world and Kovacs.

I would'nt go look at the writers IMDB page...it won't fill you with hope.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

The series wasn't exactly wildly British, is that really a concern?

#48 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 January 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

The series wasn't exactly wildly British, is that really a concern?

Yeah, though Morgan is British, I never got a particularly British vibe from it. It always felt more global to me.

#49 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear in voicing my concern, by Americanized I was referring to this formula some bad American TV shows have where the dialogue is predictable, you need to have one liners, you need to telegraph the plot, you need actors that look like models, everything has to have this certain cinematic quality of style - My point is that that trailer looks like the trailer for a hundred American TV shows I have seen the past 15 years. Like that trailer could be a preview of the next season of NCIS 2999 or Hawaii 5-0 or Thunder in Paradise.

Morgan could write circles around what I saw in that trailer. But admittedly, there is a lot of difference between what you can do in written form and what you can do on a screen.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 11 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

Shhhh...no one tell him that Morgan is himself writing some episodes.

#51 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

Hey, like I said, could just be the scenes they chose for the trailer. Maybe it's emmy award winning writing that will have us laughing and crying. I'm just hoping we're laughing and crying for the right reason.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 11 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 11 January 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

Hey, like I said, could just be the scenes they chose for the trailer. Maybe it's emmy award winning writing that will have us laughing and crying. I'm just hoping we're laughing and crying for the right reason.

Nah, you may be right as the first complete episode is written by a TOTAL hack writer...and she's show runner...so my hopes are not high for constant quality.

#53 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 January 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Nah, you may be right as the first complete episode is written by a TOTAL hack writer...and she's show runner...so my hopes are not high for constant quality.

It's also directed by Miguel Sapochnik!

EDIT: I'm confused because it looks like the writer of the first episode was the screenplay writer for Shutter Island. Isn't that supposed to be a good movie?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 12 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:47 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 January 2018 - 12:13 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 January 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

It's also directed by Miguel Sapochnik!

EDIT: I'm confused because it looks like the writer of the first episode was the screenplay writer for Shutter Island. Isn't that supposed to be a good movie?

She also did TERMINATOR: Genysis, ALEXANDER, and the BIRDS OF PREY tv flop.

#55 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Source?

I asked him :) I think there's also a reference to the history of the colonisation of Mars in BLACK MAN which is completely at odds with how it's described in ALTERED CARBON, which separates the two out.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#56 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Well, I am really, really happy with the first two episodes. Great actors, very faithful to the book so far. Also, a fair amount of full frontal male nudity to offset all the naked ladies on display was a good choice.

I have a minor gripe about how they portray Quell: I always figured she'd be way less intense: more laconic, with a sense of humour underneath the philosophing. Plotwise, there's two things that might have impact as well:
Spoiler

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#57 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Just watched Episode 1. I love it.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#58 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

Probably won't get a chance till later in the weekend, but I'm really looking fwd to it!

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostTapper, on 02 February 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Well, I am really, really happy with the first two episodes. Great actors, very faithful to the book so far. Also, a fair amount of full frontal male nudity to offset all the naked ladies on display was a good choice.

I have a minor gripe about how they portray Quell: I always figured she'd be way less intense: more laconic, with a sense of humour underneath the philosophing. Plotwise, there's two things that might have impact as well:
Spoiler

Pretty sure the revision was to conflate three different fairly complex things from the books... the Envoys, the Quellists, and the anti-stacking movement. Simplifies things greatly.

#60 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 February 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

View PostTapper, on 02 February 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Spoiler

Pretty sure the revision was to conflate three different fairly complex things from the books... the Envoys, the Quellists, and the anti-stacking movement. Simplifies things greatly.

I agree that for season 1 it's fine, but it might be problematic if they get all the way down to Woken Furies.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users