• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let's talk about that ending

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

On page it depicted the battle between the mages and some of the more traditional fighting; presumably they played out the entirety of the battle. It also seemed to be a loving (if fraught) tribute to tabletop RPGing. Ultimately it was a fulfillment of Hust Henarald's refrain from FoD about becoming a child again.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   Adaephon Ben Delat 

• Recruit

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 May 2016 - 06:02 AM, said:

Personally I hope he stays dead. One of the things I like about Erikson's writing over a lot of other big fantasy out there is that death stands. It doesn't always mean dead and gone forever (see towards the end of the main series) but dead is dead. It would spoil the huge impact of the ending if in Walk in Shadow we get some sort of "Ah, not really."

Hedge says hi. He actually came back to life
when you argue with death, you always lose

#23 User is offline   Adaephon Ben Delat 

• Recruit

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

View PostNevyn, on 14 May 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Its not like Father light features heavily from here on out. In fact, it would be in keeping with the main series if a select few conspire to keep people believing Urusander still alive, and the Liosan never know he is gone ...

I agree with the concept of the Liosan never knowing he's gone. after all, there was never really a wedding but record says otherwise.
when you argue with death, you always lose

#24 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Deciphering truth and escaping into fantasy

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:30 PM

I was shocked that she killed him, although I can see why she did.
But my question is whether there was any purpose for it, and whether there was any build up.
I agree we thought he might die, but not like that. It really seemed like it came out of the blue, totally unforeshadowed. Did she ever make statements to him that they had old debts? Did they ever talk about him needing to die, or wanting to die, or wanting to end it at all? Did I miss something? They mentioned justice at the end...were they referring to final justice for osserc's mistake? If so why was it meeted on urusander instead?
And as for purpose...why on earth would they plan that? It makes no sense to me.
It just seemed wanton, like it was a forced "surprise ending".
Btw haven't seen it mentioned here, but recall that the scepter of light has a surprise living in it courtesy of Olar Ethil. Wonder what happens now with the scepter sitting there untouched,

#25 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:43 PM

View Postgandrin, on 11 August 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

But my question is whether there was any purpose for it, and whether there was any build up.
I agree we thought he might die, but not like that. It really seemed like it came out of the blue, totally unforeshadowed. Did she ever make statements to him that they had old debts? Did they ever talk about him needing to die, or wanting to die, or wanting to end it at all? Did I miss something? They mentioned justice at the end...were they referring to final justice for osserc's mistake? If so why was it meeted on urusander instead?
And as for purpose...why on earth would they plan that? It makes no sense to me.
Btw haven't seen it mentioned here, but recall that the scepter of light has a surprise living in it courtesy of Olar Ethil. Wonder what happens now with the scepter sitting there untouched,

Hmm, it just struck me that this death might be like the death of Kellenved and Dancer in NoK.
it seemed like Ursander almost welcomed it.

#26 User is offline   Kellanveds_Herald 

• Recruit

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

So for me, the ending was actually pretty sweet. I'm not just talking about the dead(horrible pun intended) end either. I mean, the last few chapters in their totality. How we saw the battle from 3 different perspectives. I wasn't sure how Mr. Erikson was going to do the battle, with the book getting thinner and the battle hadn't started. I REALLY enjoyed it. Rise Herat, at first I thought was having some serious sorcery, seeing the future voodoo. As I'm reading, I'm like dudeeeee, how is he seeing this. Then he loses his mind and gets all bloody boucning off the statuses, as he doesn't want to see his shame for what he feels he's is his hand in the battle.

Wreneck playing with the toy soldiers was awesome throwing me too, at first. I'm like, 'Is this really how this battle is ending up?' I didn't realize it was Henarald who he was playing with, but now in hindsight and mainly from a comment on this thread did I feel like an idiot for not realizing who it was.

Finally, the actual converation between Anomander and Dracon. OHHHH BUDDYYY!!! It was AWESOME to see the respect that this two had for each other. So much that was said that they didn't need to actually say with words. e.g. Draconus titling his head in respect and Anomanders brows rising. I just thought this GREAT. Also, how Anomander says that he's fighting for Draconus. I could be reading(another horrible pun intended) into things, but was Anomander saying he was fighting for the idea of love and not Dracon himself, but the love that Draconus and Mother Dark shared for each other.

Moving on, was anybody else hoping Mother Dark or Father Light was gonna turn around and pimp slap Hunn Raal? Man, I was hoping for that. TOTALLY didn't see Renar coming!. I do see why it makes sense in hindsight though. I mean, does she still harbor some resentment against Urusander for her Osseric killing her love? Yes, she forgave Osserc, but did she forgive Ususander for claiming her as his own daughter? Also, Urusander seemed to know it was coming right? The smile? LIke he welcomed it. But I think mainly Renar killed Urusander for him not stepping up sooner. He was just a puppet this entire book. He was even a puppet with the wedding. Did he say he ever wanted to marry Mother dark? Nope, but he didn't stop things before they got out of hand. All that about him being a general in the Forulkan war. I get it. He was worn out from the battles, but come on! His legion SLAUGHTERED the deniers for NO reason. UGHHHHH

But one thing I was disappointed by, was the eleints not getting into the battle when sorcery is going all over the place. Would of love to have seen someone get eaten and then T'riss bust out and just slay b****es
Apprentice of Kellanved...

#27 User is offline   Amby Bole 

• Recruit

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:56 AM

View Postgandrin, on 11 August 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

For me, it was planned between the two of them. It started when she hinted about Osserc "not being there", a missing heir. He then went and named him his heir in front of MD, the high priestess, the historian and huun raal. After that it was the only thing left, for Vatha to die in order to Osserc become the Liossan ruler and so "there will be justice" meaning Osserc will be the one delivering it, because as Vatha's lattest words, he was not the man to bring justice.

#28 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

At any other time, what Renarr did might have been justified, but doing it when she did seems to be a fast track to reigniting the civil war just when it was dying. Maybe a good idea, but terrible timing.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users