• You cannot reply to this topic

New Interview with Steven Erikson on thecriticaldragon.com

#21 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostRibald, on 19 April 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 19 April 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

Hm, I actually find the new look harder to read, but I can just adjust my browser instead of telling a stranger how to design his website. :)

Well, bugger. Now I am in a quandary about what to do.

My suggestions are based in generally accepted typographic guidelines, but they're just guidelines. Typography isn't solely objective, and each person has their own preference as to what makes for an easier read. Some people don't like big text, others do. Many people prefer a sans-serif for screen reading, as opposed to a serif (I generally do, and would suggest anything other than Arial http://www.cssfontstack.com/). Everyone uses different devices and they use them in different contexts and a reading experience that is optimal for one device in one context might not work in other combinations, which increases the difficulty even more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A resource you may find useful: http://webtypography.net/toc/

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 19 April 2016 - 10:47 PM

#22 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostTraveller, on 19 April 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Kind of surprised he says that he hasn't read AsoIaF. Whatever anyone thinks of it, it seems odd to completely bypass such a popular series in the genre, and to have no opinion about it.

Great interview, thanks for sharing.

Maybe he wants to avoid subconsciously letting it affect his writing? I dunno. Or maybe he's just genuinely not interested.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#23 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, he's said before that he read (or at least started) the first book, didn't like it, and therefore sees no need to continue. Goodness knows he's pretty well fed up with grimdark/nihilistic fantasy at this point.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:55 AM

Yeah. While Malazan is certainly dark at times, it's definitely not nihilistic. On the whole, I actually generally feel better about people after reading it.

#25 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

View PostKanese S, on 20 April 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

Kind of surprised he says that he hasn't read AsoIaF. Whatever anyone thinks of it, it seems odd to completely bypass such a popular series in the genre, and to have no opinion about it.

Maybe he wants to avoid subconsciously letting it affect his writing? I dunno. Or maybe he's just genuinely not interested.

If George Martin would say in an interview that he's never read MBotF nobody would blink an eyelid. So I'm not sure why the reverse would elicit such surprise.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#26 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

Ribald, thanks for asking the gaming questions in the interviews. I'm always looking to update the Wiki's RPG page and you had some nice details here.

#27 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostGorefest, on 21 April 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

If George Martin would say in an interview that he's never read MBotF nobody would blink an eyelid. So I'm not sure why the reverse would elicit such surprise.

There isn't enough time to read everything.

#28 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostKanese S, on 28 April 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

There isn't enough time to read everything.

:)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#29 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

He has taken potshots at it before . I think it is fair to say he is genuinely not interested and not into it.

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users