Malazan Empire: GOOD OMENS - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GOOD OMENS Being adapted by Neil himself for TV

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

So it seems like Gaiman's mind about adapting GOOD OMENS for TV (something he was against because he and Terry always had a pact that they would work on GOOD OMENS thing together and with Terry having passed he was not about it) after being given a letter from Terry that was to be given to Neil after his friends passing.

http://www.theguardi...boration-for-tv

On of my FAVOURITE books of all time. If they do it justice, I'll be over the moon. I trust Neil though, so it should be good.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

Awesome news. Nevertheless, we've been here before. So many times it has been rumoured to be a film or a TV show and it never materialised. I was at a Q&A thing with Gaiman back in the late 90-ies and he was already hinting back then that there was interest from companies to turn it into a film.

This does sound promising, though...
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

Indeed. We've been here a few times over the last decade or so. But if Neil is on board and Rhianna supports it...it makes me cautiously optimistic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Ribald 

• Scholar of High House Academia
  • Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

A number of years ago Pratchett and Gaiman were flown out to California to work on a film script for Good Omens. They wrote a complete screenplay and then the studio execs started chiming in with things they wanted changed.

Pratchett went home and Gaiman stayed on working on subsequent drafts. Eventually Gaiman threw in the towel too as it got changed and twisted so much from the original story that it was barely recognisable.

Eventually the whole project sank without a trace.

Eventually Gaiman released a very limited edition copy of the screen play and a friend of mine had a copy of it... which was why I got a chance to read it.

So presumably Gaiman now has enough cachet and power that he can stop too much interference with this new screenplay, so there is a chance that this could be good.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
www.thecriticaldragon.com

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

View PostRibald, on 15 April 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

A number of years ago Pratchett and Gaiman were flown out to California to work on a film script for Good Omens. They wrote a complete screenplay and then the studio execs started chiming in with things they wanted changed.

Pratchett went home and Gaiman stayed on working on subsequent drafts. Eventually Gaiman threw in the towel too as it got changed and twisted so much from the original story that it was barely recognisable.

Eventually the whole project sank without a trace.

Eventually Gaiman released a very limited edition copy of the screen play and a friend of mine had a copy of it... which was why I got a chance to read it.

So presumably Gaiman now has enough cachet and power that he can stop too much interference with this new screenplay, so there is a chance that this could be good.

Indeed, and beyond that it's a British company wanting to do it, and I would imagine that Rhianna's production company (Narritiva) would help pony up the dough.

It should also be noted that Rhianna is also working on an (I believe animated) adaptation of THE WEE FREE MEN as well.

#6 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:51 PM

Okay, I'm getting nostalgic. Should start read one of his books again. NOW.

Funny, the first book I found was really Good Omens :)

But hey, Wee free men, Mort, Omens and THE WATCH. I hope they really do this.
I was worried about The Watch because I heard for a long time no news about it. But good to see that Narrativia is actually making a lot of plans and projects.

And for Omens. Do it Neil. I believe in you

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

I've long thought Good Omens was one of the least good books in the Discworld universe.

Have no idea why so many revere it so (or a big chunk of Gaiman's literary efforts)
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:52 PM

Good Omens wasn't in the Discworld universe...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:14 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 April 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

Beat me to it.

#10 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:15 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 April 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

Have long conflated Good Omens with Small Gods since I read them at roughly the same time. Oof.

Now that I've freshened up, I still don't like Good Omens all that much.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

No updates posted yet?!
We got David Tennant and Michael Sheen confirmed for the main roles. And apparently Jon Hamm is in as well as Gabriel. W00t! Awesome casting. This will be amazing.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

Ah, neat. It was great!

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Oh man, I totally made this thread and forgot about it. LOL Nice find BK!

We are done episode 1-5 now and still really enjoying it.

#14 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

Absolutely loved it. And I haven't read the book (which I have now ordered a copy of).

"Don't talk to me about the greater good sunshine, I'm the archangel fucking Gabriel!" may be one of my favourite lines in any TV series ever. Genuinely belly laughed.

David Tennant and Michael Sheen are perfect.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 June 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

Absolutely loved it. And I haven't read the book (which I have now ordered a copy of).

"Don't talk to me about the greater good sunshine, I'm the archangel fucking Gabriel!" may be one of my favourite lines in any TV series ever. Genuinely belly laughed.

Be aware that Gabriel (as he is) was largely invented for the show (he's mentioned like once in the book) but is based on the unused ideas about him for the sequel they had planned...and well, because Jon Hamm is excellent! But yes, fantastic line.

#16 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 June 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 June 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

Be aware that Gabriel (as he is) was largely invented for the show (he's mentioned like once in the book) but is based on the unused ideas about him for the sequel they had planned...and well, because Jon Hamm is excellent! But yes, fantastic line.

Cheers, I was aware. I watched the first couple of eps with friends on Friday and the lady is a mega Pratchett and Gaiman fan - encouraged by the fact she really enjoyed the whole thing.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

VERDICT: THEY DIDN'T FUCK IT UP

WATCH IT
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#18 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

On the second episode. Brilliant so far.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#19 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 04 June 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

VERDICT: THEY DIDN'T FUCK IT UP

WATCH IT

Indeed. As a fan of the book I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of extra material, but well handled and true to the source material.

#20 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:30 PM

Just finished watching this. I've read the book and I think the series is the best they could've made it, very happy with it :thumbsup: It's very obvious and obviously to the series' favour that Gaiman himself was involved. I felt like the added scenes fit perfectly.

This post has been edited by Puck: 09 June 2019 - 11:31 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users