• You cannot reply to this topic

What's in the box?! WHAT'S IN THE BOX!?

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

No but seriously...

Posted Image

It was a small box with an arrow head in it.

It was basically planted on Kelanved by Gothos on the behest of the Azathanai. But why? What is the significance?

Was it an Edur artifact? Is it somehow invested by the Azathanai? The Edur? Some old shadow king? Is it a key or a weapon?

Could it kill a hound? Edgewalker?

#2 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:34 AM

My first thoughts were that it might be some kind of link to the First Throne? As I think it was a stone arrow head (or am I imagining that part?) Maybe it is something invested with the ability to bump off Olar Ethil or something to lead him to the t'lan imass?

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

A Finnest?

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostFid, on 03 March 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

My first thoughts were that it might be some kind of link to the First Throne? As I think it was a stone arrow head (or am I imagining that part?) Maybe it is something invested with the ability to bump off Olar Ethil or something to lead him to the t'lan imass?

Yeah my thoughts were leaning towards this. That it was a T'lan Imass flint arrow head that could lead them to somehow controlling the first throne of the Imass in the future...or at least pointing them to it...

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostHocknose, on 03 March 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yeah my thoughts were leaning towards this. That it was a T'lan Imass flint arrow head that could lead them to somehow controlling the first throne of the Imass in the future...or at least pointing them to it...

I agree. This is Gothos playing the really long game. Somehow he wants Kellanved to have the Imass so he gives him an artifact to lead him to the First Throne. I actually thought that the Imass might arrive in this book itself, as I think it was mentioned in RotCG that Kell summoned the Imass in Li Heng and the Protectress died. I think that might be how the trilogy ends.

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostAndorion, on 03 March 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

I agree. This is Gothos playing the really long game. Somehow he wants Kellanved to have the Imass so he gives him an artifact to lead him to the First Throne. I actually thought that the Imass might arrive in this book itself, as I think it was mentioned in RotCG that Kell summoned the Imass in Li Heng and the Protectress died. I think that might be how the trilogy ends.

Not Gothos, the Azath (or whoever the voice in the helmet Gothos talks to is).
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

Lol, quite a way to get "spoilers". I've read ROTCG but didn't remember anything about this :D Well, I at least have at least two years to forget ever reading your comment.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

View Postchamp, on 03 March 2016 - 09:56 AM, said:

A Finnest?

This was my guess. A power source that would eventually help them seize control of the Shadow warren or some other aspect of Wu's diabolical master plan.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Quick~ 

• Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

My brain went straight to the First Throne and the Imass too.

A finnest is possible I guess but given what we know Kellancer the Imass makes more sense to me

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

View PostApt, on 03 March 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

No but seriously...

Posted Image

It was a small box with an arrow head in it.

It was basically planted on Kelanved by Gothos on the behest of the Azathanai. But why? What is the significance?

Was it an Edur artifact? Is it somehow invested by the Azathanai? The Edur? Some old shadow king? Is it a key or a weapon?

Could it kill a hound? Edgewalker?

This thread, and that gif are PERFECT Apt. Sometimes you know just how to roll with these things sir.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

The box and Dancers frustration with Kelanveds obsession with the thing was one of the best parts of the book. It's great when you have a character that can work as a foil for Kelanveds lunacy.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:44 AM

View PostApt, on 10 March 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

The box and Dancers frustration with Kelanveds obsession with the thing was one of the best parts of the book. It's great when you have a character that can work as a foil for Kelanveds lunacy.

Agreed. And then when he just sort of decided to roll with it, PERFECT.

#13 User is offline   Dancer1161 

• Recruit

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

In the main series, it is referred that the Malazan armies were the first to conquer Li Heng, and that the protrectress was murdered during the attack. This means that the malazan empire already existed when Li Heng fell to the empire, thus Li Heng could never be the first city in Kellanveds Empire. It also follows that if the Emperor and Dancer had succeeded and usurped her, it would be the Lihengian Book of the Fallen we'd be talking about ;)

This post has been edited by Dancer1161: 01 April 2016 - 03:07 PM

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

I have this vague notion that it was Malaz Island then Unta then Li Heng ... Not sure how the rest of the campaigns fall in before 7C then Genabackis.

#15 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:42 PM

Directions to the throne or a key to the throne room of some sort? I thought Finnest at first too, but that seems almost to simple.

#16 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:11 AM

For some reason, it reminded me of the spear that Udinas found.
Dancer said that it looked like the tip of a spear.

#17 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

Actually Seren found it and gave it to Udinaas to hold as a crutch.
Hear is all the interesting stuff from Reaper's gale.

'That spear you found. It's T'lan Imass.'
'It's not a weapon you fight with, is it?

The spear drew attention, frighteningly fast from Silchas Ruin, who -- before he spun round to face her -- seemed to flinch. Udinaas, too -- his head snapping up as she walked towards him. She felt her heart lurch in her chest and was suddenly afraid.

She sought to hide it by holding stubbornly to her original thought. 'Udinaas, I found this - you can use it to keep your balance.'

He grunted, then nodded. 'A ground-stone tip - can't have much of an edge, can it?

#18 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Something to do with the T'lan Imass First Throne makes a lot of sense and I can't believe I didn't think of that when I read it, but I was thinking something else.

I thought it might be the key that allows them to first access the Deadhouse in Malaz City. Which would make sense since they got it from an Azathanai and Gothos, who lives in the Azath.

It would also explain why they go from trying to conquer big, powerful cities like Li Heng and then talking about trying either Cawn or Unta next to going to a small island of pirates to start their empire.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#19 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

Was anyone else surprised that Kellenved and Dancer entered an Azath immediately in this book? From what I remember they entered the Azath on Malaz island to learn its secrets, then ascended. I wonder if the next few books will have them entering several other houses along the way. The flint in the box has to be something related to the Imass and the discovery of the Throne. I dunno, I'm pretty dense on this stuff I probably misread something somewhere in assuming they just went to the one Azath house.

#20 User is offline   Adaephon Ben Delat 

• Recruit

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

It was said they explored the Azath "network" so the deadhouse isn't the only one they've been in. But it was the one they started their adventure from (barring the first one where they met Gothos)
when you argue with death, you always lose

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users