• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is it about Pat Rothfuss?

#21 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:39 AM

View PostAbyss, on 29 January 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Go to the search page.Search for the term Dragoncow.All is explained.
...and it is glorious.

Searched for it, spent the last 20 mins reading old posts and comments, then I typed Dragoncow into google images, not a single regret was had... :p

Ya know, I'm not going to lie though I was never bothered by the 'Dragoncow' scenes in TKC, any world could use a few of them it seems ;) I was by contrast bothered by the ridiculous length of the Felurian scenes, certain sections of the Adem scenes (or Sex Ninja's to use the boards wonderful colloquial term) or Denna in general (the way she is written.)
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#22 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

The worst thing about the Felurian sexytime part is that it sandwiches the bit with the Cthaeh (and some pub-discussion afterwards), which is both awesome and really, really important to the story - but much shorter than the erotic fantasy surrounding it, with the result that I know of more than one person who missed it entirely as they tried to swerve the Felurian parts.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#23 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 29 January 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

The worst thing about the Felurian sexytime part is that it sandwiches the bit with the Cthaeh (and some pub-discussion afterwards), which is both awesome and really, really important to the story - but much shorter than the erotic fantasy surrounding it, with the result that I know of more than one person who missed it entirely as they tried to swerve the Felurian parts.

Fifteen year old me loved the Felurian sexy time.
Fuck anyone who doesn't like it.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#24 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

This is very true, Kvothe's discussion with the Cthaeh and the plot ramifications thereof are actually some of the best parts of the whole series so far, it is unfortunate that that section of the novel in general is paced so poorly.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#25 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, I really liked the first book up until the point he started at the university. Then it sort of devolved into a very predictable standard fantasy story. I had hoped the second book would pick up, but all the fairy sex and warrior monk sex made me lose interest. I'll read the third book, his prose is quite excellent, but I am waiting for a paperback version.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#26 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

I actually really liked the part with the tree in WMF. That's probably my favorite part from a plot standpoint. I may read the final book when it comes out just to see if there's any development there.

Edit: I didn't see the last few posts where other people were praising the Cthaeh part as well. Glad I'm not alone.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 29 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

#27 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

Yes, I agree.

Because I felt the Ctheah bit was amazing. I love that as a concept. Just all the Felurian parts around it were too long.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#28 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

• "But it's turtles all the way down"
  • Interests:Archery, cycling, science, & philosophy.

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

I'm ambiguous in my attitude towards Rothfuss. I mean, on the one hand, I loved the books, but on the other hand it took me a couple of tries to finally make it through the second book.

I think the dragoncows saved him for me.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

#29 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

Not going to try to convince anyone who didn't like it do so, your reaction was your reaction.

But to me, the plot 'issues' never really that big of a deal.

There are really 3 plots going simultaneously. The storytelling plot (current), the adventures, and the build up to a confrontation with the Chandrian and whatever else it is Kvothe messes up.

And the first two plots serve largely as tension builders to set up the third one. Now, this can prove a tad annoying, as it makes the series a cliffhanger, and cliffhangers with slow authors can be torture. But it is good to keep in mind, because all the rest, while they serve to build and explain the character's later choices, are not really meant to be the plot that carry the series. Did the Felurian stuff get a little indulgent? Perhaps, but I think part of it was necessary in simply setting up a fairly significant amount of time missing. And I quite liked the Adem stuff, sex ninjas or no.

I do concede that because of its choices, it is a story that does not 'grab you' the way that other ones do, but it is still one that I consistently enjoy. And there is hope that the book 3 payoff of questions answered will be great. 20 years from now when he finishes (seriously, it could take that long, he has lumped so much pressure on to book 3 to deliver, and is a relentless reviser already).
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#30 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

Sex ninjas reproduction theories.
Men and women pushing smushy parts together os anger management, does not result in children.

Mind blown

#31 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

I have read 2 Rothfuss novels. Both have caught my attention easily, and kept me reading until the end. But after I finish, I don't want to read anything for a few days. And it's not like my brain is sated and requires no further stimulation, but I find it hard to describe. Like my frontal cortex has become chafed somehow, and needs some time off. But I like the books for the most part, which seems odd to me.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

View PostHiddenOne, on 30 January 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

I have read 2 Rothfuss novels. Both have caught my attention easily, and kept me reading until the end. But after I finish, I don't want to read anything for a few days. And it's not like my brain is sated and requires no further stimulation, but I find it hard to describe. Like my frontal cortex has become chafed somehow, and needs some time off. But I like the books for the most part, which seems odd to me.

Masichism is only a problem if you dislike pain.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#33 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 February 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

View PostHiddenOne, on 30 January 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

Truer words never spoken.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#34 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostMaark, on 01 February 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

But...masichism isn't a word...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#35 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 01 February 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostMaark, on 01 February 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

But...masichism isn't a word...

That doesn't mean it isn't true.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#36 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostMacros, on 29 January 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

Sex ninjas reproduction theories.
Men and women pushing smushy parts together os anger management, does not result in children.

Mind blown

To be fair, IRL, not all human cultures have equated the two, especially ones in which people start having sex before actually being able to get pregnant, or where some environmental factor lowers fertility. There was actually an island society like this that I learned about when taking Cultural Anthropology, years ago, whose diet consisted partly of a type of yam-like vegetable that lowered fertility to a large degree, so while sex was common, pregnancy was not. They believed that after death, the human soul went to dwell out over the sea, and that pregnancy happened when one returned to the island and came to rest within a woman's womb.

#37 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Really? This will sound sarcastic, but its not meant to be, that actually is very interesting.

I wasn't aware of that, it just seemed such a bloody silly thing, I figured everyone kinds knew that outside of marys 'immaculate conception' knew that doing the do got you up the spout.

Huh, you learn something new everyday.

The sex ninjas were still a wholly massive let down (even outside the kiddies nonsense, which in fairness to me, that island you mentioned soinds pretty isolated from the rest of the world, the red shirts travelled, they had to know, they wanted to snare Kvothe, looking to be his babymomma!!)
The the sex elf thing was just the worst kind of wish fulfilment, even worse than Jordan's spannings and tit slapping.

#38 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 February 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Really? This will sound sarcastic, but its not meant to be, that actually is very interesting.

I wasn't aware of that, it just seemed such a bloody silly thing, I figured everyone kinds knew that outside of marys 'immaculate conception' knew that doing the do got you up the spout.

Huh, you learn something new everyday.

The sex ninjas were still a wholly massive let down (even outside the kiddies nonsense, which in fairness to me, that island you mentioned soinds pretty isolated from the rest of the world, the red shirts travelled, they had to know, they wanted to snare Kvothe, looking to be his babymomma!!)
The the sex elf thing was just the worst kind of wish fulfilment, even worse than Jordan's spannings and tit slapping.

Yep, really. And yeah, it was a fairly isolated island, in the Pacific somewhere, as I recall. Especially in societies where fertility is, for whatever reason, depressed, so that people only become able to get pregnant well after they start doing the do, the connection isn't always made. Other societies have also held weird folk beliefs that a baby had to be "built" with like ridiculous amounts of sex (as compared to normal "we're horny and therefore going to fuck" sex). Possibly some of the various weird folk beliefs about reproduction stem from the fact that unlike in many (I think most, actually) species of mammals, ovulation and therefore fertility isn't that readily apparent.

#39 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

huh, this surprises me to be honest.

#40 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

I like Kote.

I hate Kvothe.

Rothfuss is a good writer, and a not so great storyteller.

I'm seriously considering skipping book two and just reading book three (4, 5,6)...
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users