Malazan Empire: Finished GotM last night, my thoughts and some questions... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished GotM last night, my thoughts and some questions...

#1 User is offline   ParallelReality 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hello there!

I'm new here, and I finished Gardens of the Moon last night, (I think I read about 200 pages total during the whole day :)), and wanted to get some of my thoughts out, and also some questions. Overall I loved it, while there's certainly a lot of unanswered questions, judging by how much people seem to love it it seems I'm in good hands in trusting Erikson to deliver.

I'd say my progression of enjoyment of the novel went something like this:
First 200 pages - taking it slow, pretty confused about everything but pushing through, overall its okay.
Middle section - I'm starting to get a feel for the characters, its certainly challenging to keep up but I'm definitely enjoying it.
Last 250~ pages - Okay, this is awesome, Rake is a badass and Raest is terrifying, I'm loving it.

There were a couple of issues I had with the book (how quickly Paran seems to fall in love with Tattersail, the ending chapters were crazy and really fun to read, but man a lot of stuff happened where I had no idea what was going on)

Favourite characters:
Anomander Rake
Kruppe

Some questions:
1. What ultimately was Hairlock's plan? I think it was sorta explained but I can't remember all the details.
2. What's the story behind the Ottataral sword?
3. What is the Azath? I'm guessing it's meant to be a mystery at this point.
4. Where is the Malazan empire in relation to Darujhistan?
5. What and where are the seven cities?
I think the main issue I have is picturing where all the locations are in relation to each other, the maps help but I'm not super clear yet.
6. I'm debating to whether or not I should read Esslemont's novels intertwined with the main series, as shown in the read-order thread. It looks like a massive series, and adding another 6 books to it is going to make it even bigger! Do Esslemont's books more fill in backstory or side stories, or do they provide important information/context to the flow of the main series? Basically how essential are they?

Regardless I'll be reading Deadhouse Gates next, once I've finished up with Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice. I think I'll read them all but may have books from other series in between, with how many books there are I don't want to get burnt out haha, definitely keen to continue though.

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

Good to hear you loved GotM!

1. Hairlock did not really have a long term plan. His back up in case of a fatal injury was a soul transfer into a puppet. However the traumatic injury plus the ritual warped his sanity. Then he spent a long time in chaos. This made him totally insane and he turned into a insane murderous puppet.

2. Otataral is a substance that nullifies most types of magic. The Adjunct's sword gives here a supremacy over mages.

3. Azath: RAFO (Read and Find Out)

Regarding location, I can't find the World Map link, but roughly, the Empire is headquartered on the continent of Quon Tali. To the North West of this, across a narrow sea, is a huge continent where is located the sub continent of Seven Cities. Far to the East of both of these is the long narrow continent of Genebackis where we find Darujhistan.

Regarding reading order:

This post has been edited by Andorion: 16 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

#3 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostParallelReality, on 16 December 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Hello there!

I'm new here, and I finished Gardens of the Moon last night, (I think I read about 200 pages total during the whole day :p), and wanted to get some of my thoughts out, and also some questions. Overall I loved it, while there's certainly a lot of unanswered questions, judging by how much people seem to love it it seems I'm in good hands in trusting Erikson to deliver.

I'd say my progression of enjoyment of the novel went something like this:
First 200 pages - taking it slow, pretty confused about everything but pushing through, overall its okay.
Middle section - I'm starting to get a feel for the characters, its certainly challenging to keep up but I'm definitely enjoying it.
Last 250~ pages - Okay, this is awesome, Rake is a badass and Raest is terrifying, I'm loving it.

There were a couple of issues I had with the book (how quickly Paran seems to fall in love with Tattersail, the ending chapters were crazy and really fun to read, but man a lot of stuff happened where I had no idea what was going on)

Favourite characters:
Anomander Rake
Kruppe

Some questions:
1. What ultimately was Hairlock's plan? I think it was sorta explained but I can't remember all the details.
I think the main issue I have is picturing where all the locations are in relation to each other, the maps help but I'm not super clear yet.
6. I'm debating to whether or not I should read Esslemont's novels intertwined with the main series, as shown in the read-order thread. It looks like a massive series, and adding another 6 books to it is going to make it even bigger! Do Esslemont's books more fill in backstory or side stories, or do they provide important information/context to the flow of the main series? Basically how essential are they?

Regardless I'll be reading Deadhouse Gates next, once I've finished up with Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice. I think I'll read them all but may have books from other series in between, with how many books there are I don't want to get burnt out haha, definitely keen to continue though.

4. Here's two world maps for you: http://4.bp.blogspot...e%2Bborders.png (This one has the Malazan borders on it), and another one https://www.mediafir...irt3epfe37g.jpg (This one has all the names of continents etc. on it)
5. Seven Cities is a sub continent west from Genabackis. See the world map.
6. Return of the Crimson Guard is IMO very relevant. Night of Knives is important for understanding RotCG (Not a must read, but you'll get a lot more out of RotCG if you read NoK first). Esslemont's other books can be read after The Crippled God.

Reading Order:

Malazan Book of the Fallen & Novels of the Malazan Empire

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
Night of Knives
The Bonehunters
Reaper's Gale
Return of the Crimson Guard
Toll the Hounds
Dust of Dreams
Stonewielder
The Crippled God
Orb Sceptre Throne
Blood and Bone
Assail

Kharkanas Trilogy
Forge of Darkness
Fall of Light (2016)
Walk in Shadow (TBA)

Reading order notes:
-If you want to go straight to The Crippled God after Dust of Dreams, you can do it. Just read SW after TCG then. I did it like that and it works just fine.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 16 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostParallelReality, on 16 December 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Hello there!

Welcome!
You're in for some fun....

...Some questions:

Hairlock was supposed to gain power and use it to challenge Laseen, with the Bridgeburner's support.
He went nuts, so it didn't work out.

As of the end of GotM you would know that it's a weird metal that cancels some magic, and that the sword carried by the Adjunct seems to be a weapon inherent with the position.

GotM tells us it's some sort of house tree thing that can show up when something massively powerful is causing trouble.

Up and slightly to the right. :p

Different continent, has Middle-east and Africa kind of elements to it

Upthread reading order posts cover the details. I think they're worthwhile. if you start and decide that you don't like Esslemont you're cold and dead inside you can easily read SE's books without them.

Regardless I'll be reading Deadhouse Gates next...

I envy you for what you're about to read for the first time.

Let us know what you think.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:22 PM

regarding ICE's books my advice is to read them

I've read main books first and Essles after and I regret it now, would have been better if I mixed it.

Also don't worry about the massivness of series, there's never enough of Malazan for us junkies anyway...
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#6 User is offline   ParallelReality 

• Recruit

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for the responses!

The maps will help a lot, I don't mind being lost as far as the plot and magic are concerned, but I like to know location-wise approximately where everything is.

I'm sure I'll definitely have more questions to come :rolleyes:

I think I will read the Esslemont books intertwined, probably following the order Esa1996 suggested, may as well throw myself in the deep end and see how it goes :p

On a side note, I'd like to say that judging from what I've seen lurking around the place, these forums seem to be extremely friendly and well moderated, I think I'll like it here!

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:40 AM

Nooooooooo don't check the world map. The funnest part of the series is not getting a pertinent map until 2-4 books after you wanted it!

And as you can see from Esa's post, it's definitely worth reading the ICE books intertwined, but you don't have to read the last four until the end anyway. The real question is when are you gonna read Forge of Darkness! Because you can plop it in after Orb Sceptre Throne and it'll sit quite comfortably.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostParallelReality, on 17 December 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

Thanks for the responses!

The maps will help a lot, I don't mind being lost as far as the plot and magic are concerned, but I like to know location-wise approximately where everything is.

Understandable but don't dwell on it too much. The maps in the books give you what you need to know.

I'm sure I'll definitely have more questions to come

We're here to help.Mostly... Some of us just hang around for the lunch buffet.

I think I will read the Esslemont books intertwined, probably following the order Esa1996 suggested, may as well throw myself in the deep end and see how it goes

Esa's order is good, and hey, why stop at ten door stoppers when you can read sixteen plus some novellas!

On a side note, I'd like to say that judging from what I've seen lurking around the place, these forums seem to be extremely friendly and well moderated, I think I'll like it here!

We're a pretty decent mob, I think. When you have a second, be sure to look at the otherlit forum, the inn, and also present yourself for brain pattern dl, DNA swipe and allergy testing.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users