Malazan Empire: OMG - yet ANOTHER request for reading suggestions - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OMG - yet ANOTHER request for reading suggestions Off on holiday, wanna load up the kindle

#21 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:44 PM

Judging by your fairly prolific reading thus far, I'm gonna struggle to find things I've read to recommend.

In terms of sci-fi, have you read stuff by Paul J McAuley. I've only read a few, since they aren't in the bookstores much, but really enjoyed them. The CONFLUENCE trilogy was good, and the standalone novel FAIRYLAND was a nanotech novel that reminded me of Neal Stephenson's DIAMOND AGE. (I'm assuming you have read Stephenson).

Have you read all of David Brin's stuff. I loved the 2 UPLIFT trilogies, and he has some other stuff which might be worth considering.

I read some stuff by Ken MacLeod ages ago, and thought it was good.

Haven't actually read his stuff yet, but Ian McDonald's work sounds really interesting, and I heard him in an interview with Steven Erikson and he seemed like a really nice guy.

Also heard good things about WOLVES by Simon Ings, but it was gone from the bookstore when i went to get it, and i wanted to have a quick read (and now looking online, the reader reviews seem mixed)

Peter Watts has written some good sci-fi, some of which are available online for free.

I'd say I'm tapped out now.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#22 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

I would guess, you have read Hyperion already? If not, it's a must (and a huge delight) to read!

#23 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

Have you heard the Good News? If not, the Lion of Love himself, Aslan, would like to tell you about it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 08 October 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

Have you read all of David Brin's stuff. I loved the 2 UPLIFT trilogies, and he has some other stuff which might be worth considering.

A little known one-off he did way back when is "The Practice Effect". Damn good read, and actually has 1 or 2 Raymond E Feist nods, due to the 2 of them being mates back then. See if you can spot them.

But yeah, anything by Brin is good, each for different reasons. Although the end of the 2nd Uplift trilogy was ... trippy ... :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:07 PM

Chris Farnsworth's PRESIDENTS VAMPIRE series is pretty damn fun.
If you're feeling old school weird, I cannot recommend Clive Barker's IMAJICA highly enough. It's a monster but moves fast.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   Alrin 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt Casebooks. Good fun.
"Fuck epiphanies and denouement. Just clobber the structural confines and ramble all over the page."
— Steven Erikson (2008)

#27 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

Gavin Smith-Veteran + War in Heaven duology. Nice mix of cyberpunk, post-apoc and mil SF with the right amount of philosophizing. My favourite reads of 2 years ago.

Lavie Tidhar-Bookman Chronicles. Mostly steampunkish genre-punk mashup with lots of action, giant talking lizard being the Queen of England, and influence drawn from just about every "classic" adventure novel.

Maurice Broaddus- "Knights of Breton Court"-urban fantasy. Think Arturian legends meets "Requiem for a dream" (the heroin movie). Pretty dark, but I enjoyed it.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 13 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#28 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

Read all my recommendations huh....

I still have something in the bag.

The Gor series by John Norman. Even if you've read them, I'm willing to bet you won't own up to it! :)
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#29 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Daniel Polansky's 'Low Town' trilogy.
- The Straight Razor Cure, Tomoorw the Killing and She Who Waits.

relatively short novels, basically a small time crime lord gets dragged into stuff, wouldnt elaborate further without ruining it. Low fantasy, gritty without the grimdark, I found them hugely entertaining, quite a tight focused arc in each book and an overall arc that ties in reasonably well. some great characters and a few great bits of dialogue.

ETA:
Drug dealers, hustlers, brothels, dirty politics, corrupt cops . . . and sorcery. Welcome to Low Town.

I was sold

This post has been edited by Macros: 17 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users