Malazan Empire: Prologue & Chapter 1 of Shadows of Self - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prologue & Chapter 1 of Shadows of Self The first novel in the Wax & Wayne trilogy

#1 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

So Tor have posted the Prologue and Chapter 1 of the new Wax & Wayne novel, the first of what will be a trilogy!

I've read them, and it's got me excited for these to come out!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:16 PM

While I mostly enjoyed ALLOY OF LAW...the Wax and Wane era is MUCH less interesting to me than the original trilogy.

I'll still read them, but I'm more exited by his desire to write another Mist trilogy in a post-Industrialized world after he's done with the steampunk ones.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Only a couple more weeks to go!

I, for one, am super pumped!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#4 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 June 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

While I mostly enjoyed ALLOY OF LAW...the Wax and Wane era is MUCH less interesting to me than the original trilogy.

I'll still read them, but I'm more exited by his desire to write another Mist trilogy in a post-Industrialized world after he's done with the steampunk ones.

It's actually gonna be 3 books in Wax and Wayne era (Wild West), then 3 books in an 80s type of era, then 3 books in the future. So, 9 more books in total meant to be coming out on Scadrial!

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

I do not like this gradual release of chapters. If you release 5 chapters you might as well just serialize your novel on a blog and be done.

#6 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 September 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

I do not like this gradual release of chapters. If you release 5 chapters you might as well just serialize your novel on a blog and be done.

Well, they're pretty short chapters, and it's just a teaser for the book, which comes out in two weeks! I personally love being able to see a bit of the book before it's released! SE did it back in the day, and GRRM does it with his ASoIAF series too (I've read something like 4-5 chapters from Winds of Winter in the last couple of years), and Jim Butcher does it too. It just makes my withdrawals that more intense, so that when the book comes out, I can't help but to buy it right away!

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostBlend, on 21 September 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Well, they're pretty short chapters, and it's just a teaser for the book, which comes out in two weeks! I personally love being able to see a bit of the book before it's released! SE did it back in the day, and GRRM does it with his ASoIAF series too (I've read something like 4-5 chapters from Winds of Winter in the last couple of years), and Jim Butcher does it too. It just makes my withdrawals that more intense, so that when the book comes out, I can't help but to buy it right away!

I am good with a blurb, a cover and a review.

If its a good book, I am going to read a chapter and the one after and the one after..... I do not like to stop. And I liked Book 1 f this trilogy. So i am looking forward to this a lot. If I read a chapter I am going to go crazy until I can get the book. Which is also why I am steering clear of Butchers chapter.

#8 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 September 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

If its a good book, I am going to read a chapter and the one after and the one after..... I do not like to stop. And I liked Book 1 f this trilogy. So i am looking forward to this a lot. If I read a chapter I am going to go crazy until I can get the book. Which is also why I am steering clear of Butchers chapter.

Shadows of Self is Book 1 of the Trilogy. The Alloy of Law was a standalone. Sanderson wasn't supposed to write any books in this era of the Mistborn trilogy, but he pumped out Alloy of Law when he needed a break from Stormwind Archive, and the characters were so compelling that he then decided to do a trilogy based around Wax and Wayne - so there will be two more Wax and Wayne novels after Shadows of Self before he gets into the 80s era Mistborn books! :(

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:04 AM

View PostBlend, on 21 September 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Shadows of Self is Book 1 of the Trilogy. The Alloy of Law was a standalone. Sanderson wasn't supposed to write any books in this era of the Mistborn trilogy, but he pumped out Alloy of Law when he needed a break from Stormwind Archive, and the characters were so compelling that he then decided to do a trilogy based around Wax and Wayne - so there will be two more Wax and Wayne novels after Shadows of Self before he gets into the 80s era Mistborn books! :(

Okkkk I did not know that. But its going to follow on from the events of Allow of Law, right?

#10 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 September 2015 - 02:04 AM, said:

View PostBlend, on 21 September 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Okkkk I did not know that. But its going to follow on from the events of Allow of Law, right?

I think it's a 'several years later' type thing. In the prologue, for example, Wax and Steris are planning their wedding. Pretty sure they had just met in Alloy of Law. TBH, it's been a few years since I read Alloy, so the details are a little fuzzy.

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

Chapter 6

#12 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

A Spoiler Free Review

Hoping I can find this in my local bookshop on payday! This'll make for great reading over the Thanksgiving long weekend!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users