• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paul Feig's GHOSTBUSTERS Female cast Reboot

#21 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

effects look good. Movie looks bad.
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

On the official trailer YT page, 20,000 likes, 27,000 dislikes.

Yikers.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

I liked Spy. I was hoping that this would be at least as good as Spy even if it didn't match the original.

It doesn't look like it will be. It looks terrible. Just completely the wrong type of humour for Ghostbusters.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 03 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 03 March 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

I liked Spy. I was hoping that this would be at least as good as Spy even if it didn't match the original.

It doesn't look like it will be. It looks terrible. Just completely the wrong type of humour for Ghostbusters.

Yeah, I had tried to let my fears lay dormant, but that trailer did not win me over at all.

What's up with that silly "Let's go" line between Wiig and Mcarthy...is that passing for a joke here?

Also, the slap joke late in the trailer is terribly done. Again, is this what's passing for humor here?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 March 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 03 March 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yeah, I had tried to let my fears lay dormant, but that trailer did not win me over at all.

What's up with that silly "Let's go" line between Wiig and Mcarthy...is that passing for a joke here?

Also, the slap joke late in the trailer is terribly done. Again, is this what's passing for humor here?

More worryingly, are these the best jokes they have? The best material available to attract the audience?

#26 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

You can see the quiet despair in the eyes of the actresses as they reluctantly spew the awful lines the cruel screenplay is making them inflict on the camera, they are but victims of the monstrous studio entity and they deserve our pity for being forced to say the bad words

If I was given a revolver with two bullets and put in a room with Hitler, Paul Feig and the writer for this movie, I would beat Feig and the writer to death with the gun and shoot myself twice

Bill Murray is spinning in his grave

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't look very good, and also I hurt inside now
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#27 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 March 2016 - 08:58 PM, said:

If I was given a revolver with two bullets and put in a room with Hitler, Paul Feig and the writer for this movie, I would beat Feig and the writer to death with the gun and shoot myself twice

Bill Murray is spinning in his grave

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't look very good, and also I hurt inside now

Paul Feig is ALSO co-writer on this.
meh. Link was dead :(

#28 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 March 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

I'll post what I see as the main issue with this.

Fieg's comedy is forced and unfunny and unsubtle.

Library Ghost scene in this film:

The ghost has its scare moment and then vomits slime all over Wigg. Then cut to Wigg’s joke: “That stuff got everywhere, every crack, very hard to wash off.”

Library Ghost scene in the original:

Venkman: He slimed me.

Ray: That’s great! Actual physical contact!

Ray: Spengler! I’m with Venkman! He got slimed!

Egon: That’s great, Ray. Save some for me. (deadpan delivery)

I mean it's night and day.

McKinnon is GREAT in the trailer and steals every scene...but everyone else is just there.

This is an amazing comparison.

I have a baseless theory as to this contrast - OG Ghostbusters was written by Aykroyd, Murray, etc*. And they were comedians first, actors second - but they were both actors and comedians. Whereas Nu Ghostbusters was likely written by people who are neither actors nor comedians - just writers. And the actors in the film are not comedians - just actors (being on SNL doesn't make you a comedian, much less a good one).

Writers who aren't also comedians are likely just not as funny, and don't know how to come up with good material or the timing for a longer joke.

(*I don't actually know who wrote OG Ghostbusters. EDIT: Aykroyd and Harold Ramis wrote it - both comedians. And it looks like Nu Busters was written by Feig and Kate Dippold, who is a comedian according to Wikipedia and did UCB, but based on her writing history [some Parks N Rec & The Heat], I just don't think she's funny.)

Tangent: If I were Melissa McCarthy, I'd be furious having to do all these fat jokes. Literally lowest common denominator stuff.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 03 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

#29 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

Most of the nu-Ghostbusters cast are comedians. They did Upright Comedy Brigade, toured as stand-ups, or were writers themselves. However, they are not getting much input into the script - which may somewhat be studio/producer meddled-with as well. Feig and Dippold are the ones to look at mostly for this.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

My guess is that it'll be pretty good and you'll all look like fools in retrospect.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:57 AM

Hmmmmm, I don't like lookin' foolish.

#32 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:04 AM

View Postamphibian, on 03 March 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

Most of the nu-Ghostbusters cast are comedians. They did Upright Comedy Brigade, toured as stand-ups, or were writers themselves. However, they are not getting much input into the script - which may somewhat be studio/producer meddled-with as well. Feig and Dippold are the ones to look at mostly for this.

Maybe they are funny comedians, though I don't think I've ever laughed at anything I've seen Wiig or McCarthy do in a film. At least Wiig is no longer playing that batshit crazy character that she used to do all the time. McKinnon is the only one who I've found to be consistently funny, on SNL at least.

Which of them have stand-up specials? That's where you get to see if a person is really funny (unless they're mainly a sketch artist, but I already know Wiig and Jones are not funny as sketch artists from SNL).

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 04 March 2016 - 01:05 AM

#33 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:06 AM

I kid, I kid. For the record, the original IS genuinely great, and it's not a matter of nostalgia. And it's because the jokes AND the characters are great. This will not be as good, and part of that is inherent to treading familiar ground, but I'm not particularly looking for it to be. Many of my favorite things on planet Earth are not as good as Ghostbusters. Not a big deal. I don't really think the jokes are at risk here, though, but the characters might be. If they're joke machines, that's a missed opportunity. If they're fully-fledged characters who happen to be funny, then I'll consider it a success.

#34 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostApt, on 03 March 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

Am I nostalgic for old Ghostbusters because it was great or just because it was so 80s?

I can't believe you have to ask that question. It's one of the best movies ever made!

As soon as this film was announced I was quite angry because Ghostbusters just doesn't need to be "re-booted" or re-done or whatever. It is a perfect film. Then there was all the hoo haa about the guys being replaced with girls so I started to feel a bit of lady belligerence and thought I would give it a chance. Now the trailer just looks wrong - cheap gags and while the text at the beginning acknowledges the previous movie they then copy the library ghost and the car and stuff. I'm still going to give it a chance though. And will admit to being slightly influenced by the fact that Chris Hemsworth gets the Janine role. And I have a girl crush on Kristen Wiig, I love her hair in Bridesmaids.

Apparently Sony are trying to re-boot it to get the opportunity to stage a bunch of other films in the same universe. Meh.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

Redditor allegedly worked on the film and has seen a rough cut and explains it in detail...and how bad the whole thing seems to be. If this is actually the film plot for real...then this is Green Lantern-level badness.

Anyways, read for yourself and make your mind up.

https://www.reddit.c...w_ghostbusters/

#36 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

I give this movie a 7% chance to be watchable.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#37 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

If I want to watch Ghostbusters, I'll stick to the original. I hate seeing completely uneccessary reboots of classics.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#38 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

Which movies do need to be made?

#39 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

View PostZoolanderis Derake, on 09 March 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

Which movies do need to be made?

Good ones.

Full disclosure, I was actually on board with the idea of rebooting Ghostbusters as long as it was done at the very least competently and entertainingly (they can't all be Fury Road but aiming for it would be a worthy endeavour) and now I am overboard

with an anchor tied around my neck

wearing a suit made of chum

and on fire somehow???
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#40 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, but why get stuck on the pass/fail binary? It might be an okay movie. And even if it's a well-meaning failure, it's still already better than say another Liam Neeson murder fest.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users