Malazan Empire: The Hugos VS Sad Puppies - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Hugos VS Sad Puppies The whole shebang.

#61 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

I'm not sure how rational or sensible the sad puppies ever were.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#62 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostGorefest, on 02 September 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 26 August 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

The thing I've taken from this the most is that there are many people, who view themselves as rational sensible folks, willing to ally themselves with a person who, no joke, literally opposes woman's suffrage. Not just preventing voting on sci fi books, but voting in general. Thanks for helping highlight the truly awful among us, Vox Day. Thanks a million.

I think that's the wrong way around, isn't it? I thought it started off with the "rational sensible folks", but then got hijacked by extremists, for a lack of a better word. Just because someone you generally do not agree with happens to share your view on a specific topic surely doesn't straight away disqualify the validity of the topic itself? Russia and the USA/UK were fighting on the same side in WW2.

As far as I know Corriea (Sad Puppy) put Vox Day (Rabid Puppy) on the slate to begin with...which is pretty much dancing with the devil isn't it? I think Correia made a good point about the whole nomination and voting system brokenness...and that's about it. Otherwise I feel he and the rest of the Sad Puppies DID seem to compel the existence of Day's latter Rabid offshoot. So I'd not say highjacked, so much as included on a level to make him take notice and do his own twisted version.

View PostNevyn, on 02 September 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

I'm not sure how rational or sensible the sad puppies ever were.

This is very true. I maintain the only thing of any worth to come out of the whole puppies thing is that it showed that "slate" voting is the worst (elucidated by John Scalzi in his comments in the article I linked) and can enable even the most idiotic assholes to game the awards.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#63 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:16 AM

If the Puppies really ever cared about promoting writers of a more conservative tilt they would have nominated Gene Wolfe, rather than the trash they chose to go with. Funny how Vox Day's tiny publishing house got so many nominees.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#64 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:12 AM

This is still going on? For real?

Read what you want, who cares about everything else. They aren't holding your eyes hostage to make you read anything.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#65 User is offline   Cedz 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

I don't like ideology of any kind being forcefully injected into the sci fi & fantasy genre. I want authors to write whatever story they want to write without any pressure that their personal politics will be used as an excuse to blacklist them from the industry or impact their chances of winning awards. I'm way past sick and tired of this bullshit being pushed in my favourite entertainment communities such as gaming, music, and sci fi fiction.

Fucking politics.

#66 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostCedz, on 03 September 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

I don't like ideology of any kind being forcefully injected into the sci fi & fantasy genre. I want authors to write whatever story they want to write without any pressure that their personal politics will be used as an excuse to blacklist them from the industry or impact their chances of winning awards. I'm way past sick and tired of this bullshit being pushed in my favourite entertainment communities such as gaming, music, and sci fi fiction.

Fucking politics.

Yeah, there are apparently authors out there now afraid to let their narrative voices out properly for fear of trampling on someone sensibilities and that person will gather their cronies and make a smear campaign.

If I ever get published, I'm simply going to write what I write. If some readers find issue with what I wrote, I'm going to let it ride...cause fuck the politics.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#67 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

Fucking politics.

Well, that seems to have been the way things worked until the whole puppy slate thing. Hopefully, once they've ratified the rules to make it more difficult to force slates through things will be back to normal.

#68 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 September 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

Fucking politics.

Yeah, there are apparently authors out there now afraid to let their narrative voices out properly for fear of trampling on someone sensibilities and that person will gather their cronies and make a smear campaign.

If I ever get published, I'm simply going to write what I write. If some readers find issue with what I wrote, I'm going to let it ride...cause fuck the politics.

“The Cool Stuff Theory of Literature is as follows: All literature consists of whatever the writer thinks is cool. The reader will like the book to the degree that he agrees with the writer about what's cool. And that works all the way from the external trappings to the level of metaphor, subtext, and the way one uses words. In other words, I happen not to think that full-plate armor and great big honking greatswords are cool. I don't like 'em. I like cloaks and rapiers. So I write stories with a lot of cloaks and rapiers in 'em, 'cause that's cool. Guys who like military hardware, who think advanced military hardware is cool, are not gonna jump all over my books, because they have other ideas about what's cool.

The novel should be understood as a structure built to accommodate the greatest possible amount of cool stuff.”

-Steven Brust
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#69 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:08 AM

I saw this on Reddit

http://grrm.livejour...com/441565.html

Apparently the Puppies want their own separate award now. GRRM is ok with it, explains why and also gives a short history of awards in the fantasy and sci-fi area. I had no idea there were that many!

#70 User is offline   terminusest 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 03 September 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

If the Puppies really ever cared about promoting writers of a more conservative tilt they would have nominated Gene Wolfe, rather than the trash they chose to go with. Funny how Vox Day's tiny publishing house got so many nominees.

I don't think Wolfe had an eligible work, as the Land Across was out at the end of 2013. Vox has published a lengthy book of analysis on Wolfe this year, which he expects to make no money off of, because he feels it is ideologically important.

#71 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

Theodore Beale (Vox Day) is a nutter and toxic to the community at large.

So despite being an enormous Wolfe devotee, I won't be reading his material on Wolfe.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#72 User is offline   terminusest 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 September 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

Theodore Beale (Vox Day) is a nutter and toxic to the community at large.

So despite being an enormous Wolfe devotee, I won't be reading his material on Wolfe.

He didn't write it, but his publishing house published it.

#73 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

I try to avoid giving any of my money to white supremacists.

#74 User is offline   terminusest 

• Recruit

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 24 September 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

I try to avoid giving any of my money to white supremacists.

You can do whatever you want with your money ... seems a bit of a non sequitur, though.

to paraphrase:

"If the rabids cared about conservative writers, they would support Gene Wolfe"

-Vox published an 830 page volume of analysis on Wolfe, expecting it wouldn't sell well-

"I don't give my money to white supremacists".

Should we conclude that Vox cares about conservative writers, a little bit?

#75 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

In the same way Perez Hilton "cares" about journalism, I suppose.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users