Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COWL AND SKINNER restructuring

#1 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

My question may be hard to answer but did Cowl and Skinner decide to kill stoop in just the day or so they reunited? Seems like a big step to take after only a day or so of getting back in touch. Im assuming Cowl wasnt in contact with Skinner while Skinner was romping aroung with ardata. Seems like killing a fellow Avowed would have some planning behind it.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

More like Cowl and Skinner returns, Stoop knows something fishy is going on and confronts them, Cowl and Skinner remove Stoop. Pretty straight forward.

#3 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

View PostApt, on 18 March 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

More like Cowl and Skinner returns, Stoop knows something fishy is going on and confronts them, Cowl and Skinner remove Stoop. Pretty straight forward.

You dont see someone for a 100 years and then you meet back up with him and in a day start killing other avowed. Cowl i thought wasnt with Skinner all that time, i know he was with Kyle at the start of the book. So it just struck me as odd that 100 years you dont see someone then in a day decide that you and him are going to start killing other members of the guard. Was Cowl with Skinner some of that time?

#4 User is offline   Twisty 

• Recruit

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

Surely Cowl could have been with Skinner at some point in time...no, he must have been.

So, this could simply be a GotMism, but in that book Crokus is protected by a blade of the Crimson Guard, including Blues, Cowl and Fingers. So, around 1163/4 (is that when GotM takes place?) we know that Fingers, Blues and Cowl are in Darujhistan - Crokus sees Blues in action attacking Lorn, Fingers remarks to Crokus that Blues is pretty good, and they mention at some point that Cowl is hanging around somewhere on the rooftops (explains the ease with which Serrat keeps getting knocked out just as she's about to kill Crokus!).

We also know from RotCG that after the Malazans conquered Quon Tali and the Guard fled to Stratem, the Emperor sent an army of 40,000 after them - they had to leave, hence the Diaspora (which is ending in RotCG). The Guard broke up into what, 4 groups? One led by Shimmer (which has Cowl in it by RotCG, and is recruiting in Bael), one by Skinner (in Jacaruku), one by Cal-Brinn (in Assail, with Iron Bars) and another led by Blues/K'azz himself. Now, Blues/K'azz's group is in Genabackis allied with Caladan Brood, and Cowl is helping them - being the great High Mage he is, he clearly travels between the groups, so (to answer your question) he could have talked to Skinner, many times in fact over 100 years.

However, in this scenario, Skinner and Cowl must kill K'azz somehow after the events of GotM but before RotCG, a span of 3 years or so (or as short as one year, maybe 5 - the timeline's not important :D ). We either accept this, or, if you think it unlikely (I do!) then maybe in GotM the senior guys in the Guard are pretending to be led by K'azz, but he's missing already. Perhaps they're being led by Cowl and/or Blues. It would make sense to hide the fact that the Prince is gone from the Malazans, and that's easiest if you tell no one, even Caladan Brood (or maybe he was in on it? I don't think so).

So Skinner and Cowl have been in communication a lot of 100 years, and at some point in the past (10 years, fifty, we don't know) they murdered K'azz, which Blues' group decided to hide.

Alternatively, K'azz went walkabout early on in the Diaspora, but Blues' group pretended to be led by him to keep up appearances of strength. It even makes sense that Cowl would've been tasked with finding the Prince - which maybe he did, killed him, and simply said he couldn't find him.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users