Malazan Empire: Interested in the new Star Wars Universe books - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interested in the new Star Wars Universe books

#21 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, that caught my eye too. I love that they are still having the empire be a threat and not just laying down because the Emperor and Vader are gone. I'm honestly hoping for a nod to the awesomeness that is Thrawn. I know he's no longer canon, but a little nudge and wink would be nice.

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostThe Incredible Kitsu, on 10 April 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Yeah, that caught my eye too. I love that they are still having the empire be a threat and not just laying down because the Emperor and Vader are gone. I'm honestly hoping for a nod to the awesomeness that is Thrawn. I know he's no longer canon, but a little nudge and wink would be nice.

You're not the only one, people LOVE Thrawn.

But yes I agree with you about the Empire. It would make no sense that it just would "cease" after ROTJ...you cut the rotten heads off the Empire, the best bet for the Rebellion (post-rebellion) would be to use the existing Imperial infrastructure, reinstate the Senate, and aim to get it onto an even keel. It can still be an Empire, just one with a Senate body again and non-sith politicians. Having it just disappear (or become an Imperial Remnant like in the old EU) in favour of the New Republic always rubbed me wrong because of how fast it appears to happen.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Finished LORDS OF THE SITH. This is not just the best ENu book so far, it is one of the best Star Wars books I've ever read. I don't want to spoil too much, but the book is basically one long, multi-POV chase sequence that is an amazing ride. Well done, Paul Kemp. I cannot recommend this one highly enough.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#24 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:04 PM

I just polished off A New Dawn. Interesting book, and it did make me want to check out Rebels. I've got one other book that I want to knock out before I start Tarkin, but it's in my near future.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:11 PM

So issue # 6 of Marvel's STAR WARS series (takes place between A NEW HOPE and EMPIRE) just dropped the first major bombshell information for the New Canon.

Spoiler

Oh and not so spoilery...the last section has Boba Fett telling Vader he has discovered the name of the pilot who took out the Death Star...Skywalker....at which point Vader is silent for a few moments and then shatters the glass window in front of him growling "Skywalker"...which is a nicely done way of having him find out. I actively sat there and thought. Oh man, as Anakin he thought his kid(s) was dead in th womb of his dead wife...and here it is 18 years later and he has a son, on the Rebels side. That is some mind-melty shit for him to deal with.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Full synopsis for the Chuck Wendig-penned main post-ROTJ book AFTERMATH has popped up online....and look who the protagonist is!

As the Empire reels from its critical defeats at the Battle of Endor, the Rebel Alliance — now a fledgling New Republic — presses its advantage by hunting down the enemy’s scattered forces before they can regroup and retaliate. But above the remote planet Akiva, an ominous show of the enemy’s strength is unfolding. Out on a lone reconnaissance mission, pilot Wedge Antilles watches Imperial Star Destroyers gather like birds of prey circling for a kill, but is taken captive before he can report back to the New Republic leaders.

Meanwhile, on the planet’s surface, former Rebel fighter Norra Wexley has returned to her native world — war weary, ready to reunite with her estranged son, and eager to build a new life in some distant place. But when Norra intercepts Wedge Antilles’s urgent distress call, she realizes her time as a freedom fighter is not yet over. What she doesn’t know is just how close the enemy is—or how decisive and dangerous her new mission will be.

Determined to preserve the Empire’s power, the surviving Imperial elite are converging on Akiva for a top-secret emergency summit — to consolidate their forces and rally for a counterstrike. But they haven’t reckoned on the Norra and her newfound allies — her technical genius son, a Zabrak bounty hunter, and a reprobate Imperial defector — who are prepared to do whatever they must to end the Empire’s oppressive reign once and for all.

A Star Wars New Canon book starring Wedge Antilles? Oh man, sign me up!

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

Okay, so I don't know if anyone has heard about the kerfuffle with the post-ROTJ STAR WARS book AFTERMATH by Chuck Wendig.

There appear to be people who don't like it legitimately (present tense, short sentences, different from typical Star Wars verbiage, expected it to be about the big three, or plain just found it boring)...all of which are fine reasons to dislike a book.

But there is something more insidious at play here. There are bigots out there who don't like the inclusion of a few LGBT characters, don't like the fact that there is a great gender parity in the book with multiple female leads, amongst other bigotry. Those people have set out on a mission to disparage the book in a (I hate to reuse the word) insidious way: If you go to the STAR WARS: AFTERMATH page on Amazon.com you will see about 650+ reviews...41% of which are not only negative, but are 1-star. Now I don't think that even those that legit didn't like it (nothing bigoted) would/could call this a 1-star book...most of the ones that were largely lukewarm to it were about a 2-3 star review. Right? Okay. So now here comes the bad part. These people have taken it upon themselves to upvote (report as "Helpful, which is the default setting for organization of reviews on Amazon, unless you manually change it) all the 1-star reviews (we are talking 30 out of 32 reviewers found this review helpful)...and then downvote ("unhelpful") all the positive reviews (we are talking 6 out of 30 people found this review "helpful")...this shifts all the positive reviews to the bottom of the Amazon organization pile. This means that MOST of what you see on the front page of reviews for the book are 1-star neg reviews.

Now, this is discerned in two ways. 1. The "helpful" votes are always around 30-ish...this means that the same number of people are upvoting as are downvoting (telling us this is a concerted group effort), and 2. I literally watched a 4-star review go up yesterday and it proceeded to get downvoted into oblivion (30 "unhelpfuls") in a period of 24hours.

This same group appears to be trolling all the positive reviews and calling them lies, Wendig-supporters, and propoganda...you get that? PROPOGANDA. Because someone liked a book they didn't.

I would not have believed it if I hadn't watched it transpired in front of my eyes. Go have a look at the page and see what I mean. It's horrible.

I hope lots more people read this book, and review it (whatever rating your give it) just to shut down these butthurt conservative fanboys.

#28 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

Just gonna leave this here:

Posted Image
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

For those of you considering the 9-12 YA books WEAPON OF THE JEDI, SMUGGLER'S RUN, and MOVING TARGET...they all concern incidents that occur between ANH and EMPIRE....BUT they are bookended with a prologue and epilogue that take place right before THE FORCE AWAKENS (in WEAPON OF THE JEDI, we see a red-armed C3P0 speaking with an X-Wing pilot on Poe's squadron, for example).

There is also a new book in that series coming this winter called BEFORE THE AWAKENING about Poe, Finn, and Rey before TFA.

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:46 PM

Finished Claudia Grey's YA new canon offering LOST STARS.

It's eh...pretty hardcore teen YA....a Romeo & Juliet-ish story about two young lovers on opposite sides of the Galactic Civil War...it's pretty standard fare all throughout actually.

My biggest complaint is that these two end up at EVERY major event in the three OT movies from ANH to ROTJ miraculously. Like the odds that they would be present on the Imperial and Rebel sides of the major battles from the OT feels really contrived. I'd have much preferred they were involved in one or two instance, and not ALL. I mean the girl is on the team Vader sends to disable the Falcon on Bespin FFS. It's just all way too convenient.

It's decently written, if glaringly YA.

One thing worth noting as to the status of what the Galaxy at large (especially under imperial rule) thinks on an individual level of events in the Clone Wars...one bit has the two characters at the age of about 15 (Note they are the same age as Ezra on REBELS...born on Empire Day) studying Imperial lore, and the following passage is said:

"The criminal gang who interfered with the legal execution on Geonosis and sparked The Clone Wars was led by Mace Windu."

So interesting that the Jedi were not only wiped out (mostly) by Palpatine and Vader, but their existence smeared completely and the Imperial annals filled with misinformation calling them "criminals" and "thugs"

Otherwise, you can skip this one. It's alright, but not worth the hardcover purchase.

#31 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, I think I'll skip that one. I still want to get through AFTERMATH before the movie hits next month anyways.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

View PostBriar King, on 16 November 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

From every thing I hear Lost Stars is one of the best stellar bks of new canon with Aftermath being worst by a long shot

While I would not reverse that exactly (Aftermath is by no means awful...not by a long stretch...it's a pretty decent little story and as long as you know you're not going to be hearing about he Big 3, you'll do fine), I'll say the difference is both subtle and brutal at the same time.

Meanwhile, LOST STARS (while written in an easier way, in an easier tense) concerns pretty much every damned event in the OT....just from the POV of these unknown romeo and juliet characters.

If I had to specify why the opinion is so high on LOST STARS and so low on AFTERMATH...

Classic EU fans who enjoy all the winking and nudging to the OT and PT, and are willing to sit through another story which concerns all those events are the ones praising LOST STARS because it plays it incredibly safe and does exactly what most of the old EU material always did...while AFTERMATH gets outside that box and explores not only brand new characters, but a situation on a backwater world to boot and barely even touches on the events of the OT except at a distance.

For me, I liked what AFTERMATH did more than the retread of what LOST STARS did by porting Romeo and Juliet into the SW galaxy...if that makes sense?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

Here is the cover reveal for the second AFTERMATH book LIFE DEBT, and Wendig seems to indicate that the title is a reference to the Interlude with Han and Chewie...so it sounds lkike our new band of heroes, Norra, Temmin, Mr. Bones, Jas, Sinjir, and the SpecOps guy are going to be helping Han and Chewie free Kashykk and the wookies form Imperial bondage. Which I don't need to tell you sounds cool as hell.

Attached File  aftermath-life-debt-674x1024.jpg (266.69K)
Number of downloads: 0

#34 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

Much as I loved The Force Awakens, I had 0% interest in the "New EU". But I found that Amazon has Chuck Wendig's Star Wars: Aftermath (US link) Kindle edition on sale for a mere $1.99, which bumped my interest up to like 2%. If there are any other "Legends" :p fans like me who feel they might want to test the waters of the NewEU for but pennies, this is your chance.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#35 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

Uh, NewEU interest level rising...

Spring 2017:
Spoiler

Source

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Aside from the new THRAWN book (Which, BTW, YES!!!!!) coming....

There is also a new book about Ahsoka's story after she left the Jedi order and leading up to her eventual appearance on REBELS! Considering that after Obi-Wan she is my FAVE character in the Star Wars universe, this is amazingly great news! Anyways, it comes out in October, and you can preorder it already. :blink:

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/1484705661

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

More Thrawn can only ever be a good thing.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#38 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 July 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

There is also a new book about Ahsoka's story after she left the Jedi order and leading up to her eventual appearance on REBELS! Considering that after Obi-Wan she is my FAVE character in the Star Wars universe, this is amazingly great news! Anyways, it comes out in October, and you can preorder it already. :blink:

Totally, Ahsoka is one of if not my favourite character in SW; I'm going to be all over this.

(I just re watched the Rebels finale with Vader; just awesome, love the way his voice changes when he calls her.)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostTraveller, on 20 July 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 July 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Totally, Ahsoka is one of if not my favourite character in SW; I'm going to be all over this.

(I just re watched the Rebels finale with Vader; just awesome, love the way his voice changes when he calls her.)

Yeah, that was a heart-rending moment for sure.

I just think she's the best prequel era-character for the simple fact that she questions everything that happens on both sides. She's constantly questioning the stagnation and decisions of the Jedi Order. Even in REBELS she's questioning things. I love that, it makes her character so deep.

#40 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

Did you watch the SW Ahsoka's Untold Tales panel? Such a good insight into her character, and a lot of blanks filled in. Also Dave Filoni describing the 'unmade' ending to the Clone Wars story is so very, very good.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users