Malazan Empire: Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE FOR ALL SANDERSON BOOKS

#21 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

That's what I meant by chilling, he could have but they were happy where they were.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#22 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 10 February 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

You read fast. Glad you liked it. I thought Mistborn: The Final Empire was awesome as well, and it was my favorite Sanderson book until Words of Radiance came out.

The next two books don't have the same great pacing of the first, but the ending of the trilogy is every satisfying.

IMO Kelsier is still the best character Sanderson has come up with. One of my favorite characters ever.

I think Kaladin is one of his best characters.

I loved the Trilogy. Read it a few times and then sold it last year for a profit.

Currently reading Words of Radiance
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#23 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

I do have to say this. I'm 33% into this book and I explicitly hate Shallan.

Every time a chapter starts with her I sigh. It's hard work.

I like the stuff she can do and what she might become but this wishy washy indecisive character is pissing me off. Where is her urgency? It has to be there because of what's happened so where is it. Oh let's go take a look at those plants. No, fuck off. Why is that relevant and why would anyone do that when she has an important task.

Urgh.

This post has been edited by Tattersail_: 24 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

#24 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

😳

#25 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

I believe there were some SA spoilers posted, but thanks to my superhuman self control (and the fact that I fell asleep) I managed to ignore them. So no harm done.

#26 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:21 AM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

This is from the Alloy thread when I asked the same question about Trell.

Briar King, on 02 March 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:
A lot of the names I recognized except for the name Trell. Anyone got any idea who this was? Miles mentioned him a few times.

Sindar replied

Trell is the name of the deity in Trellism, a religion that existed pre-ascension on scadrial. mention of trell, trellism and it's doctrines as well as many other things were left behind by sazed for spooks people in the new epoch.

So one of Sazeds 300 religions... some of those survived in religion form? Interesting

#27 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:24 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 February 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

It utterly funny how obvious Sazed was going to be the HoA from the very beginning but Sanderson deserves kudos for deverting the attention to Vin for 3 bks.

You starting Warbreaker now?

Yup. 8 chapters in already. Lets see... Vasher and Nightblood line....very interesting...want more of that. Lightsong... funny yet intriguing. Has potential. Siri line... will probably be the main storyline. Wonder when the Godking will make his actual entrance.

Once again Sanderson brings up a very interesting and original magic system. Lets see how it develops.

#28 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:06 AM

Finshed Warbreaker. Very very good book. Not as epically awesome as Mistborn. But still excellent. The whole Breath thing is cery complex. I am still not sure I understand it. If Warbreaker 2 really does come out it will be awesome.

How many series does Sanderson think he can juggle? There another post about Sixth of the Dusk.

#29 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostAndorion, on 28 February 2015 - 02:06 AM, said:

Finshed Warbreaker. Very very good book. Not as epically awesome as Mistborn. But still excellent. The whole Breath thing is cery complex. I am still not sure I understand it. If Warbreaker 2 really does come out it will be awesome.

How many series does Sanderson think he can juggle? There another post about Sixth of the Dusk.

It's in my to read pile. As for breath, I can explain that easy enough...

Posted Image
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

So I have started the Stormlight Archive. 12 chapters into Way of Kings and......

IT IS EPIC!

where to start:

huge history...
intricate and very original world-building and magic system....
some very interesting characters......

I think its safe to say I am hooked.

Kaladin: I really hope he gets to fight in an army again. I would love reading that.
Shallan: A very promising character so far. The drawing scens were very interesting.
My favourite though is the first interlude character Ishikk. He made me smile.

The openig assasination scene was pretty well written.

Still too early for more detailed comments.

#31 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostBriar King, on 06 March 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

Argh I want to say shit but I'm not. I think you ll be picking all the books back up to skim parts and have some "no shit" moments.

Umm are you talking about Cosmere? I can't enter 17th Shard anymore because of how strangely organised their site is, their strange Spoiler policy... apparently there's a timelapse factor and their total obsession with Cosmere.

#32 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:41 AM

So far, I think the chapter beginning quotes in part 2 are Cosmere

#33 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

29 chapters into the Way of Kings. What to say... the shift to the Dalinar and Adolin PoV was interesting. Seeing what Shardplate adn Shardplates can do from the PoV of people who use them on a daily basis certainly fleshed out why everybody is in awe of these suits. The Chasmfiends were also very interesting. They all come with a gemstone inside?

But the most intriguing part was Dalinars vision. A window into the past, also a guide to the future? Or is there a measure of deception involved, like Vin was tricked by Ruin? Sanderson is pretty good at twists after all.

Those chapter heading quotes were quite clearly Cosmere stuff. There was a reference to Aon which is from Elantris

Another thing is that if you leave spheres out in the Highstorm they get infused with light. So the Highstorms are more than storms, they have magical power of their own. Could they be a shattered fragment of a larger force? They were shattered and now roam aimlessly, sowing random destruction?

#34 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:01 PM

43 chapters in. Did a lot of commute reading today. Its agreat way to pass the boring trips, but people tend to stare a lot.

I am increasingly getting the feeling that SLA is a real labor of love for Brandon Sanderson. The care he is taling in building up the world and the characters, the sketches, the history, the backstory, the mythology... a lot of thought and care has gone into this

So.. the variosu storylines..

Closed the Dalinar arc with his decision to abdicate.
Kaladin is stuck with the realisation that those he care for are going to die and he cant do anything about it.
Shallan is caught at a crossroads.

I feel Dalinar is probably the most important arc in terms of information about the history, the radiants and the heralds, as well as Cosmere.

I can identify with Shallan and Jasnah. Archival and library work, reading and analysis is something I do regularly, so I find their plotline relatable. Shallan is growing, but....really slowly
She really isn't the smartest. I am however fascinated by her drawings. Can she see the future? Or just possible futures? Is this something like Allomancy?

As for Kaladin by far the most compelling plotline. His struggle is really rivetting. So much so, that I get really angry when the PoV shifts.

The Highstorm bit was very intriguing. And is Kaladin absorbing Stormlight? He couldn't do that before, so something changed alright.
Come to think of it, Kaladin reminds me of somebody in Warbreaker. Is that Cosmere?

All the info about soulcasters is pretty interesting. I am only now coming to understand the radically differnt economy tht would prevail in a world with highstorms and soulcasters. I have a theory that the diversity and effeciency of function of a soulcaster is directly proportionla to the knowledge, aptitude and imagination of the wielder.

I find the idea of a subservient religious order who continue to be influential extremely interesting. Also the carapace of the Parshendi...reminds me of the monsters in Mistborn.

The originality of Sanderson is very refreshing.

The chapter heading quotes in this section seem to from Jasnahs research.

The wildlife seems to be a cross between snails, lobsters and insects. All have protective shells or chitin. Highstorm adaptation?

#35 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 March 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

It's been awhile since I read WB but Kaladin has no direct connection atm. Who are you thinking of?

Yes the wildlife from animals to plants have evolved to withstand hurricane winds every few days in cool ways. Do you have 2 yet?

I was thinking of the chap with the 'phantom army'. name was kind of similar.

As a matter of fact I do have book 2. Just got it.

#36 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

So, finished Way of Kings. This was easily one of the most enjoyable fantasy reads I have had recently. The scope and history of the world Sanderson is creating cotinues to intrigue. But first the character arcs:

Shallans arc went from relatively quiet to explosive. I did not see that poison scenario coming. The ethereal figures she sees... are they Radiants? Or something more? Jasnah seems to know a lot about them, so expecting an infodump later. Also Parchmen are Voidbringers... finding this a bit unlikely...mprobably there's way more to it.

Dalinars arc was probably the most satisfying. I honestly thought at one point he was going ot kill the king, take the throne and go dark on me. But he seems to have pulled himself together. Plus he is no longer a Shardbearer, so I guess we get to see a more intellectual side of him.

Kaladin... grew really fast towards the end. What is he exactly? A returned Radiant? An interesting new career seems to lie ahead for him. Cant wait to see him fight though.

Sanderson has perfected the art of the plot twist, especially when it comes to betrayals. Szeths storyline was frankly shocking. I did not gues the chapter headings were connected to the hospitals. I had been thinking of Ardents taking deathbed notes. But i really should have guessed given the demographic variations.

I am now officially taking the policy of trusting no one in a Sanderson book if that person isn't a PoV character.

Now regarding Cosmere... Wit is Hoid. I was suspicious of Wit for some time. Also the Almighty is dead? Killed by Odium? Taking from Mistborn, if there were two opposing forces, that means the balanc eis all out of whack. This explains all the presentiments of disaster.

One thing I am very surprised by is the amount of stuff that happens un this book. Kaladin has Radiant powers, they can now translate the Radiant language thanks to Dalinar, and the last Herald suddenly shows up? WTF? I was actually thinking he had gotten embittered at being abandoned by his comrades and turned into a villain. Given that ita ten book series, a lot of really important stuff has already happened.

I am truly impressed with Sandersons worldbuilding and originality. Though I have only read one book of SLA, I rank him above Wheel of Time, fo rnow.

There appears to be a non-spoiler outline of the Cosmere theory in 17th Shard. Think I will take a look at that before I start Words of Radiance.

#37 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

There was a mention of Ado- something or the other. I think tat might be important. Also in the opening scen of the book, there were these huge creatures of stone. I always thought they were the actual Voidbringers.. I was vidualising them as granite dinosaurs with burning eyes and stuff. Which, now that i think about it , is ridiculous. Posted Image

In terms of revelation, I think the Shallan-Jasnah storyline has the most potential, though I ama bit scared of Jasnah, who can be pretty ruthless. I would love a PoV line of hers though.

I am treading very carefully in 17th shard. Basically lurking, that too in Mistborn, because they dont have seperate book Spoiler threads like we do.

BTW did you know that they give non-Sanderson books movie ratings like G, PG based on sex and violence? Malazan is an RPosted Image

WoT is PG 13, which is silly because that series can scar people for life.

#38 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:57 AM

Yeah, jumping straight into it, after I get back this evening. Have a long and irritating day ahead of me, and I don't think I will be able to commute read.

#39 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

View PostBriar King, on 13 March 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

Lmao! Watch those double post Ando or your gonna get a spanking!!! You see what I mean now when I say kids???

I know....sheesh.....Posted Image.... two posts on two totally different topics.....and why are they posting Wheel of Time near-Spoilers on the general reading thread?

#40 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Words of Radiance coming along slower than I thought due to insane work schedule. But will probably get more tiem during the weekend

Shallan dives underneath the sea to look at a cross between a huge Man-of-war jellyfish/snail/squid? Have to hand it to Sanderson he comes up with unique creatures.

So Shallan, Jasnah and Kaladin are all Radiants-to-be? And Radiants are adopted by Spren? Then why did Shallan get a brain-damaged doormat?

Oh BTW BK, I sent you a PM.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users