Malazan Empire: Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE FOR ALL SANDERSON BOOKS

#81 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:13 AM

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2015 - 01:54 AM, said:

There are some authors who wrote their greatest stuff when out of their comfort zone, while othere are really good whne cruising in their groove. Sandrson seems to be comfortable where he is and his books are by no means bad reads. But keep in mind that both his major series SA and Mistborn have a long way to go, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more changes along the way.

I made these points for Way of Kings because it felt to me like he was making this his magnum opus - the greatest sundae he would ever make with fuckin' Michael Whelan shitty-yet-beloved cover cherries on top - and it was this limited thing that feared to go to uncomfortable places for the reader and/or the writer because they didn't agree with his religion's ideas of sex, love, society and people.

One's lifelong labor of several million words should not be a legacy in which one steered away from disquieting things.

To quote Donaldson talking about fantasy itself:

Contemporary fantasy—even in its most cynical, post-modern guises—is the literature of reintegration because it both explores and accepts every dimension of what being human means, every natural language that humankind speaks (I mean both the language of critical intelligence and the language of magic and monsters, which can be seen as the language of religion). It expresses itself in both the language of alienation and the language of affirmation. That alone makes us more fully human, more fully ourselves, than we would be without it. It imagines possibilities for us that may seem incredible until they’ve been experienced.

I made the resolution to abandon Sanderson after Way of Kings and stuck to that - until I read his Dangerous Women short story. That was effin' brilliant. It went dark places, it went happy places, it went into what it meant for those people to be those people, fully, wholeheartedly and with style. It had more meaning than Way of Kings entire. I do not know if Words of Radiance went to similar places and depths; I hope it did. Maybe I will come back to him after exploring those authors more agreeable to my tastes.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 21 March 2015 - 03:19 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#82 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

I personally feel that the world needs MORE grimdark. Lots more.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#83 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

View PostBriar King, on 21 March 2015 - 02:36 AM, said:

Have you looked up bk 1 eggs?

Not yet. Some tips please?

#84 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

View PostMaark, on 21 March 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

I personally feel that the world needs MORE grimdark. Lots more.

Grimdark is good, but sloppy grimdark is farcical.

#85 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 March 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

This is spot on.

Quality control matters enormously.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#86 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

View Postamphibian, on 22 March 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

This is spot on.

Quality control matters enormously.

It is the great challenge, true.

#87 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on 22 March 2015 - 03:57 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 21 March 2015 - 02:36 AM, said:

Have you looked up bk 1 eggs?

Not yet. Some tips please?

Go back and read Isiks interlude in bk 1 and see if anything seems familiar

Ed I remember you saying you enjoyed his. I will tell you if you don't see it. It would take someone with Shallan skills to pick up on this.

Read this. Isn't that chap - the dark skinned one from Elantris?

#88 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:19 AM

OK, I didn't recognise Demoux.

Meanwhile finished both of the Novellas.

1. Why is Sazed sending scouts to the Word of Shadows for SIlence? I wonder if this something that will be touched on in future Mistborn books. If what I think is correct and they came by space travel, it will probably be in the last Mistborn books.

2. The Ones Above in Sixth of the Dusk are also probably space scouts. WOnder how these will tie in.

Shadows for SIlence was absolutely brilliant. The tantalizing hints about the Evil and the whole Shade controlled jungle seem to imply a major shard based disaster.

Why exactly are the 17th Shard jumping around al over the place? Also they amke that single cameo in 2 1000 page books? Also Isshiks closing comment means they are connected to the Fool who is Hoid. Also how does he know who Fool is?

#89 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:59 AM

View PostBriar King, on 31 March 2015 - 03:44 AM, said:

It is something that we will have to wait and see. Therios are that they get there from FTL travel which is indeed the last Mistborn 3 set in a future advanced tech age(this is gonna fucking rock I think) or Shadesmar can be accessed within the Cosmere worlds or maybe a combo of both. At any rate it's gonna be about 15+ yrs before everything is finished. It's gonna be an awesome ride barring he doesn't decide to ever change anything that been published again. I will be very turned off if he does it twice.

Yes. he should take points from SE there. In the recent interview, SE categorically said he would make no changes to the MBotF even if was given the chance

#90 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:05 AM

Uh did you know Sanderson has another Novella out? Most probably non-Cosmere. Came out today I think. This guy literally produces books in his sleep.

#91 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:56 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 April 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

Ummm more crazy SLA news... He wrote bk 8 but it's really going to be bk 3 but still bk 8 with time travel I'm lost...

So its book 3 and book 8 at the same time? Where is this announced? His blog?

#92 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:23 AM

We questioned further, and discovered the answer was time travel.
I hate time travel!!Posted ImagePosted Image

"Since we are following specific characters into the future, they don't know what happens in book five either," Brandon said. When asked on how it would avoid spoiling who lived and died in books 3-7, Brandon just said, "Yeah, it's a fun first few chapters, when they find it all out."

So Books 3-7 are spoiled in the opening chapters of 8, which is 3rd in release sequence? This spoils like 60% of the series. How is this good and why is this happening?

It all makes sense.

No it doesn't!

This post has been edited by Andorion: 02 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

#93 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:27 AM

I guess he was a little inspired by Days of Future Past?

e: in the change the known future by actions in the past sense

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 02 April 2015 - 02:28 AM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#94 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:33 AM

I seriously hope this doesn't wreck SLA. The series has a lot of potential but.... its decisons like these.... there's no middle path here, poeple will either love it or hate it.

#95 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:58 AM

Shit.... Timezones....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image ..............focus on the stupid timezones........Its not fair its April2nd here and I got through yesterday just fine.........stupid timezone

#96 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

Yeah it was both 3:30am on the 2nd when I saw it and also surprisingly plausible for him, haha
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#97 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Lol people seriously fell for that?

#98 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

He's using magic to do a space travel series, I could easily see him doing a story where you see take 1 of Book 8 early, and then the published Book 8 is take 2 with the previously gained knowledge.

#99 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

So I'm on Warbreaker now. That is hands down the weirdest sex scene ever (four chapters in or so). Not even Bakker has weirded me out this much.

#100 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostMaark, on 03 April 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

So I'm on Warbreaker now. That is hands down the weirdest sex scene ever (four chapters in or so). Not even Bakker has weirded me out this much.

Sex scene? What sex scene?

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users