Malazan Empire: Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE FOR ALL SANDERSON BOOKS

#21 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:54 AM

Also started Sanderson's Alloy of Law. Kind of asmaller book than the others. Read three chapters or so.

Now, could someone just clarify, Is Sanderson doing a Wild West style fantasy? Becasue if he is, I am pretty sure this is a first.

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:02 AM

Re: magic systems he's planning to construct, there's a series where the characters eat rocks and it affects their gall bladders, and then a planned series where his characters eat different tree barks and it changes their bites, and finally one where the people eat different cuisines and it makes them various levels of fat.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

View PostAndorion, on 24 February 2015 - 01:54 AM, said:

Also started Sanderson's Alloy of Law. Kind of asmaller book than the others. Read three chapters or so.

Now, could someone just clarify, Is Sanderson doing a Wild West style fantasy? Becasue if he is, I am pretty sure this is a first.

Steampunk/Western/Fantasy enjoy.

On its size take into account he wrote it as a standalone before he got to the 2nd Mist trilogy to give his fans a fix. It turned out better then he hoped and people wanted more so it was turned to 3. So we will wind up with 12 Mist books total as of now. From what I know it will go like this: Mist 1 is far past, Alloy is near past, 2 is Present, and 3 will be Future. Pretty cool.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#24 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

Finished Alloy of Law.

It was a really fun read. Wayne is an excellent character to introduce. The world that Sanderson is developing is really interesting and Now I cant wait for book 2 of this trilogy.

The technology+allomancy combination seems very original.The new metals and powers are very intriguing. The most intriguing thing though is the deification o fthe original lot

Kelsier is the Survivor.
Spook is Lord Mistborn
Vin is Ascendant Warrior
Elend is the last Emperor
Sazed is the God of the Path
Harmony is what Vin became after she combined Ruin and Destruction

Not really sure about the last 2. Sazed could also be Harmony.

Who or what is Trell?

Kolossborn?

If Sanderson is indeed planning 12 books, then he has written 4. So that leaves 8. Plus 8 more of the Stormlight Archive. Hm. Seems he has decided to be a sub-genre all by himself

#25 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

Now on to Warbreaker. Will post thoughts here. Will edit the title accordingly.

#26 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Oh, Harmony is all Sazed, Vin died after becoming Preservation's holder and killing Ruin, Sazed picked up both shards and merged them, pretty much. Vin's spirit is chilling with Elend in the afterlife. The best part of the third book was reading the line "I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages" and knowing exactly who it was.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isnít me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like heís me. Look down, back up, where are you? Youíre in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. Whatís in your hand, back at me. I have it, itís an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. Iím on a quorl.

#27 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

There's also the line that Sazed tried to guide the spirits of Vin and Elend back into their restored bodies but that he found that it was not feasible. It's been a few years since I read the series,.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

That's what I meant by chilling, he could have but they were happy where they were.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isnít me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like heís me. Look down, back up, where are you? Youíre in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. Whatís in your hand, back at me. I have it, itís an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. Iím on a quorl.

#29 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 10 February 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

You read fast. Glad you liked it. I thought Mistborn: The Final Empire was awesome as well, and it was my favorite Sanderson book until Words of Radiance came out.

The next two books don't have the same great pacing of the first, but the ending of the trilogy is every satisfying.

IMO Kelsier is still the best character Sanderson has come up with. One of my favorite characters ever.

I think Kaladin is one of his best characters.

I loved the Trilogy. Read it a few times and then sold it last year for a profit.

Currently reading Words of Radiance
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#30 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

I do have to say this. I'm 33% into this book and I explicitly hate Shallan.

Every time a chapter starts with her I sigh. It's hard work.

I like the stuff she can do and what she might become but this wishy washy indecisive character is pissing me off. Where is her urgency? It has to be there because of what's happened so where is it. Oh let's go take a look at those plants. No, fuck off. Why is that relevant and why would anyone do that when she has an important task.

Urgh.

This post has been edited by Tattersail_: 24 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

#31 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

This is for Mistborn/Warbreaker atm not SA

#32 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

😳

#33 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

May want to delete the 33% one cause he has no idea who that is atm lol.

#34 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

This is from the Alloy thread when I asked the same question about Trell.

Briar King, on 02 March 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:
A lot of the names I recognized except for the name Trell. Anyone got any idea who this was? Miles mentioned him a few times.

Sindar replied

Trell is the name of the deity in Trellism, a religion that existed pre-ascension on scadrial. mention of trell, trellism and it's doctrines as well as many other things were left behind by sazed for spooks people in the new epoch.

#35 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

I believe there were some SA spoilers posted, but thanks to my superhuman self control (and the fact that I fell asleep) I managed to ignore them. So no harm done.

#36 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:21 AM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

This is from the Alloy thread when I asked the same question about Trell.

Briar King, on 02 March 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:
A lot of the names I recognized except for the name Trell. Anyone got any idea who this was? Miles mentioned him a few times.

Sindar replied

Trell is the name of the deity in Trellism, a religion that existed pre-ascension on scadrial. mention of trell, trellism and it's doctrines as well as many other things were left behind by sazed for spooks people in the new epoch.

So one of Sazeds 300 religions... some of those survived in religion form? Interesting

#37 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:15 AM

It utterly funny how obvious Sazed was going to be the HoA from the very beginning but Sanderson deserves kudos for deverting the attention to Vin for 3 bks.

You starting Warbreaker now?

#38 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:24 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 February 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

It utterly funny how obvious Sazed was going to be the HoA from the very beginning but Sanderson deserves kudos for deverting the attention to Vin for 3 bks.

You starting Warbreaker now?

Yup. 8 chapters in already. Lets see... Vasher and Nightblood line....very interesting...want more of that. Lightsong... funny yet intriguing. Has potential. Siri line... will probably be the main storyline. Wonder when the Godking will make his actual entrance.

Once again Sanderson brings up a very interesting and original magic system. Lets see how it develops.

#39 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:55 AM

Indeed! Note that Warbreaker 2 is confirmed idk when though. It's a fun read.

Fuck I can't wait till you get to SLA and start getting Cosmere syndrome.

This post has been edited by Briar King: 25 February 2015 - 04:56 AM

#40 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:06 AM

Finshed Warbreaker. Very very good book. Not as epically awesome as Mistborn. But still excellent. The whole Breath thing is cery complex. I am still not sure I understand it. If Warbreaker 2 really does come out it will be awesome.

How many series does Sanderson think he can juggle? There another post about Sixth of the Dusk.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users