Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#121 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostUna, on 21 October 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

Did anyone else find it weird that Stephen Harper did not announce his stepping down as party leader in his concession speech, but then had his spokesman send a message to the press confirming that he would be stepping down right before he walked on to the stage so that it would be announced by someone else AFTER the speech? Is that normal? To me, it comes across as rather cowardly to not say it himself, but I don't do enough politics to know if that's a normal, accepted practice.

I didn't find it weird that he chose not to bring it up in his speech. Makes sense to keep that short and positive since he did still get elected as MP and that speech is being delivered right to his home supporters in the room.

Was kinda weird that they told the media he was stepping down before that speech though, rather than waiting until Tuesday morning. But maybe Harper needed to report he would be stepping down to the party president right away, and he didn't expect the party president to inform the media so quickly?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#122 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostD, on 21 October 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

Did anyone else find it weird that Stephen Harper did not announce his stepping down as party leader in his concession speech, but then had his spokesman send a message to the press confirming that he would be stepping down right before he walked on to the stage so that it would be announced by someone else AFTER the speech? Is that normal? To me, it comes across as rather cowardly to not say it himself, but I don't do enough politics to know if that's a normal, accepted practice.

I didn't find it weird that he chose not to bring it up in his speech. Makes sense to keep that short and positive since he did still get elected as MP and that speech is being delivered right to his home supporters in the room.

Was kinda weird that they told the media he was stepping down before that speech though, rather than waiting until Tuesday morning. But maybe Harper needed to report he would be stepping down to the party president right away, and he didn't expect the party president to inform the media so quickly?

Actually I think the oddest thing in Harper's speech was finally calling Justin "Mr Trudeau".

As for not stepping down as leader in his speech, it seems a bit odd, but there is no real standard way of doing things. Some put it in their speech, some announce it in the following few days. To me, he didn't want the speech to be about that, but also didn't want to waste time / headlines with questions of whether he would, so they leak it, and he does not address it. I also believe he had indicated this would happen if he lost some time ago.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#123 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

Actually i think it would have been odd to raise it in an election concession speach by the PM.
Plus he did win his riding so that would have been a mixed message to his constituents who voted for him and he will continue to represent (unless he bails entirely, but it seems that's not his plan for now).
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#124 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

....as I was driving to work, where he was saying, "Many of you have worried that Canada has lost its compassionate and constructive voice in the world over the past 10 years. Well, I have a simple message for you on behalf of 35 million Canadians. We're back." I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I got a little chill down my back and I couldn't help but do a little fist pump. We have our country back! How does he do that?!

Trudeau had/has a hell of a PR team behind him, and he has a level of charisma that ran in striking contrast to Harper and Mulcair.

Next we see whether his Cabinet team is as talented, because the charisma won't help him address real issues.

...but yeah, he's starting on a high note.

#125 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostNevyn, on 21 October 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

As for not stepping down as leader in his speech, it seems a bit odd, but there is no real standard way of doing things. Some put it in their speech, some announce it in the following few days. To me, he didn't want the speech to be about that, but also didn't want to waste time / headlines with questions of whether he would, so they leak it, and he does not address it. I also believe he had indicated this would happen if he lost some time ago.

Well exactly. I would not have found it odd if he announced it in his speech. I would not have found it odd if he had just given his generic speech to his constituents and then "thought things over" or "consulted with his party" and announced it personally in the following days. I specifically found it odd that it was an official announcement passed directly to the media almost simultaneously with the speech. I don't recall ever seeing that done before, but then it's been a while since the last time the government changed hands, so I probably don't remember.

Trudeau made quite the laundry list of promises and it sounds like every group out there is pretty excited about their own pet issue. I know there's a few things in there that I'm going to be watching for. People are going to notice pretty quickly if things don't start happening. He's working with some pretty high expectations and things could go sour really fast if he doesn't start working on them. On the other hand, some of those promises can be easily accomplished just by assigning decent people and letting them do their job. The biggest problem I saw with the last government was the level of micromanagement, paranoia, and interference. People just couldn't even do their jobs and we all suffered for it. Public health officers weren't allowed to call attention to public health issues. Environmental scientists weren't allowed to report their results. Immigration officers weren't allowed to process applications. And so on.

Cabinet announcement Nov 4th! Should be interesting!

#126 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:03 PM

Guh, I have one (and only one seemingly) DIE-hard Conservative amongst my FB friends...she's a perfectly reasonable and nice individual...but her posts about the election, and now all her posts disparaging every step Trudeau makes...not only make no sense...they come across as crazy as fuck...it's kind of hard to watch it scroll through my news feed and try to rectify the completely normal person I know IRL with the crazy conservative lady (who I'm pretty sure voted for Ford now) who ticker tapes her FB feed with Conservative nuttery.

Sigh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#127 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 October 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Guh, I have one (and only one seemingly) DIE-hard Conservative amongst my FB friends...she's a perfectly reasonable and nice individual...but her posts about the election, and now all her posts disparaging every step Trudeau makes...not only make no sense...they come across as crazy as fuck...it's kind of hard to watch it scroll through my news feed and try to rectify the completely normal person I know IRL with the crazy conservative lady (who I'm pretty sure voted for Ford now) who ticker tapes her FB feed with Conservative nuttery.

Sigh.

political facebook posts are an invitation to unsubscribe. And I do.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#128 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:03 AM

View PostNevyn, on 29 October 2015 - 10:22 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 October 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Sigh.

political facebook posts are an invitation to unsubscribe. And I do.

stupid poltical posts are an invitation. A post showing actual thought and reflection merits a like

#129 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:21 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 30 October 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

stupid poltical posts are an invitation. A post showing actual thought and reflection merits a like

This reminded me of an article I read a couple of days ago. Apparently, people who engage in discussions on the internet are a self selecting minority who have little to no background information on the subject.The really sad part is that after the end of the discussion they show no actual background knowledge improvement. I would like to believe that Malazan's DB is different but I have no data so I do not know.
Good luck finding informed posts in any discussion on the internet... :)
Taking Political Engagement Online: An Experimental Analysis of Asynchronous Discussion Forums

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 30 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#130 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 30 October 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

This reminded me of an article I read a couple of days ago. Apparently, people who engage in discussions on the internet are a self selecting minority who have little to no background information on the subject.The really sad part is that after the end of the discussion they show no actual background knowledge improvement. I would like to believe that Malazan's DB is different but I have no data so I do not know.
Good luck finding informed posts in any discussion on the internet... :)
Taking Political Engagement Online: An Experimental Analysis of Asynchronous Discussion Forums

i've heard of this study before doesn't surprise me. Nor is it impossible for something to be anecdotally true while being empirically false. Also i forgot to add "invitation to unsubscribe"

kinda changes thing.

You can have good discussions online, it's just difficult. I've had a few of them on reddit talking about e-sports of all things

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 30 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

#131 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

If you've seen one of those on facebook, you have better friends than mine.

I just get shares of political photo memes, attacks, jokes, and 'news' articles from partisan sources.

#132 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

View PostNevyn, on 30 October 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

If you've seen one of those on facebook, you have better friends than mine.

I just get shares of political photo memes, attacks, jokes, and 'news' articles from partisan sources.

i've been priviledge with meeting some individuals with phenomenal minds and a disposition towards well articulated thought and critical thinking. Not to say i don't have the bad kind either, i've one friend who was actively involved with the liberals, and another with the NDP so I got my share of tunnel vision posts as well. As well as the stereotypical "the sky will fall out" type post from the conservative portion of my fb

recent Highlights:
"Hmm? Oh no, I haven't had television for years; much too busy for that. Walking Dead? Of course, I know every second of it. I have Facebook."

The newest art medium is experiencing other people experience art. Watch someone play a video game, watch someone's reaction to a YouTube video, listen to someone's commentary on a television show... it's all very strange...

...Pop culture PhD?

Commentary is the content

The medium is the medium?

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 30 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

#133 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 30 October 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

i've been priviledge with meeting some individuals with phenomenal minds and a disposition towards well articulated thought and critical thinking. Not to say i don't have the bad kind either, i've one friend who was actively involved with the liberals, and another with the NDP so I got my share of tunnel vision posts as well. As well as the stereotypical "the sky will fall out" type post from the conservative portion of my fb

Oh, I have some great and smart friends, and we can have great political conversations. But they don't go on facebook.

#134 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostNevyn, on 30 October 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 30 October 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

Oh, I have some great and smart friends, and we can have great political conversations. But they don't go on facebook.

thats a shame. Though i will be frank, politics is usually the last thing i discuss with them. There are many more interesting topics out there

#135 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:53 AM

Mr.Trudeau's cabinet is here, and it looks really good. I think his choice for justice minister was the best choice he had, especially with the inquiry into MMIW being so important in his agenda. His finance minister looks competent too, although I'm afraid of his connection with actual not-rich people's life.

Justin Trudeau is either the most honest politician I've ever seen in my life or he is the best populist currently in politics. The way he plays the media/the crowds is disturbing, I feel like he can kill children on camera and have people believe that he was justified in doing it.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#136 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:52 AM

I loved his mic drop moment when asked by the media why having a gender balanced cabinet was so important to him, he replied "Because it's 2015."

Just excellent.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#137 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 November 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

I loved his mic drop moment when asked by the media why having a gender balanced cabinet was so important to him, he replied "Because it's 2015."

Just excellent.

Yes I've not really been following the process other than the news when he was elected but it is actually inspirational! Just someone being totally normal about equality. Well done Canada.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#138 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ister-1.3303667

solid choice

#139 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

Indeed. I pretty much agree with his entire cabinet choices. All pretty solidly done. And who better to become the minister of defence, than a decorated soldier and detective. Well done indeed!

#140 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 November 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Just excellent.

This needs to be on t-shirts stat.

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 November 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Indeed. I pretty much agree with his entire cabinet choices. All pretty solidly done. ....

All the solid potential is there i think, now we see if they can deal with the practical realities.

Naming a female FN Chief as Minister of Justice doesn't mean that the process or outcome of the promised Missing Women Inquiry is going to be any more coherent or palatable... renaming the Dept of Enviro to Enviro and Climate Change doesn't make the Kyoto Protocols any more realistic... saying you're intentionally going to run a deficit doesn't make the impact any less significant... this gov has some serious and ugly challenges ahead that no amount of selfies and media bites will address.

I just wish i didn't keep getting this slight Obama-esque vibe... 'woohoo we won the evil previous government is vanquished and its sunshine and rainbows from here on... *cut to six years later* ....everything is horrible thanks for nothing!'.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users