• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Potential trip to Canadia

#21 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

A friend of mine comes from Dawson Creek, up in northern BC.

Just FYI. :)

Go there, freeze your unmentionables off.

Don't forget to avoid Scott though - he's a dick.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 07 January 2015 - 08:27 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#22 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

Oooh now I'm thinking Montreal would be better to visit then..... but I really want to go to Niagara Falls and jump off so that Superman will save me...... (I only want to see the Falls, no interest in the place). Decisions decisions......

Lots of work travel lined up - Helsinki next week and Frankfurt a couple of weeks later then Canadaland. The scary thing for you Cannucks is that the training course I am doing will give me qualifications to license medical devices that are sold in your country (assuming I pass the exam). I solemnly promise to use my power responsibly.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 07 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#23 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Medical devices sounds.... interesting - brain spoons?

Don't wish to hi-jack your thread - but Mal and I will be in Victoria BC for a couple weeks in early April if anyone lives near and fancies a beer.
I wish we could have met up in Canada Mez, that would have made up for the Christmas tangle. :)
You guys thinking of moving out there?
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 January 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

That said if you decide to go from Ottawa to Toronto, KINGSTON is a really cute town at the halfway point.

It has that fort thing, if you're into... fort things.

Also, isn't upper canada village around there somewhere? If you're into... uh... I don't even know what to call it.

View PostAbyss, on 07 January 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

Meanwhile, i knew you were both Canadian. Also Catherine, Darkwatch, Cerveza_Fiesta, Mentalist and that pantsless wonder Rodeoranch that i can recall offhand.

My spies are everywhere!!!

And Una!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostD, on 07 January 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

That said if you decide to go from Ottawa to Toronto, KINGSTON is a really cute town at the halfway point.

Also, isn't upper canada village around there somewhere? If you're into... uh... I don't even know what to call it.

At least it's not Black Creek Pioneer Village...which was a place that even in grade school we groaned about having to go to...even though it was a field trip that got us out of school.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 January 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

Meanwhile, i knew you were both Canadian. Also Catherine, Darkwatch, Cerveza_Fiesta, Mentalist and that pantsless wonder Rodeoranch that i can recall offhand.

My spies are everywhere!!!

And Una!

K-town has probably the most of that "averagely-old European town" vibe I've seen anywhere in North America, and it makes it work. (Quebec City is also old, but as 'byss pointed out, the old city there is for showing. K-town's Old City, tiny as it is, is for living in). Granted, the entirety of Old City is summed up with a single street (that'd be Princess Street, which is, conveniently also the nightlife central for the Uni about 2 blocks south and the interposed student ghetto), but unless you're after cheap booze (by North American standards), it's really not worth more than a quick pass through just to see that, "ooh, yes, they do have some proper old-looking stuff this side of the pond"

And I'll politely disagree with just about anyone that says the Falls aren't much to see in the winter: for those not used to it, to see such a force of nature freezing as it goes is a spectacular, breathtaking sight. The Falls is impressive in all seasons, in diff. Ways.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostMentalist, on 07 January 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

K-town has probably the most of that "averagely-old European town" vibe I've seen anywhere in North America, and it makes it work. (Quebec City is also old, but as 'byss pointed out, the old city there is for showing. K-town's Old City, tiny as it is, is for living in). Granted, the entirety of Old City is summed up with a single street (that'd be Princess Street, which is, conveniently also the nightlife central for the Uni about 2 blocks south and the interposed student ghetto), but unless you're after cheap booze (by North American standards), it's really not worth more than a quick pass through just to see that, "ooh, yes, they do have some proper old-looking stuff this side of the pond"

And I'll politely disagree with just about anyone that says the Falls aren't much to see in the winter: for those not used to it, to see such a force of nature freezing as it goes is a spectacular, breathtaking sight. The Falls is impressive in all seasons, in diff. Ways.

Re: Kingston: At least the penitentiary is no longer there, but yeah it's a pass through town, half day tops.

I agree about the Falls in winter, breathtaking.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 January 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

At least it's not Black Creek Pioneer Village...which was a place that even in grade school we groaned about having to go to...even though it was a field trip that got us out of school.
best GTA school trips were to the zoo.
If Mezla does go to TO, she should check out the zoo. Now with pandas!

ETA: one really nice spot that doesn't get enough plugging in the GTA are the Royal Botanical Gardens out in Hamilton. That place is a great spot to visit, but sadly, march isn't the best time (late spring, early summer during the magnolia and tulip season is the best time)

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 07 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#29 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 07 January 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

Oooh now I'm thinking Montreal would be better to visit then..... but I really want to go to Niagara Falls and jump off so that Superman will save me...... (I only want to see the Falls, no interest in the place). Decisions decisions......

Lots of work travel lined up - Helsinki next week and Frankfurt a couple of weeks later then Canadaland. The scary thing for you Cannucks is that the training course I am doing will give me qualifications to license medical devices that are sold in your country (assuming I pass the exam). I solemnly promise to use my power responsibly.

Seeing what others have written (especially Abyss), I'd definitely change my recommendation to montreal over toronto now. I forgot about the shopping aspect. You can spend all fucking day (and I have) on Saint Laurent and Saint Denis streets in and out of mega-cute boutiques full of fashion, sex toys and all manner of other crazy shit. I hate shopping but even I can appreciate a bit of time visiting the Montreal shops...and that's not even including the underground network. I'd also echo comments about Mont Royal and the surrounding park/oratory being once of the finest sights in the city. Public transport (subway and bus) is generally good for tourists too, which is a massive bonus if you don't the city well.

And lest we forget, SCHWARTZ's smoked meat sadwich - or the other equally famous one that I can't think of the name of right now. If you select Montreal, do yourself a favour and shove one down your gullet.

Niagara falls....if you end up in Toronto, definitely make the detour to see the falls, but I wouldn't select toronto based purely on that point of interest.

One other suggestion for Toronto, should things swing that way, is to see a performance at Roy Thompson hall. Toronto Symphony Orchestra is first-rate and the hall itself is a cool spot to go see a show. Fantastic acoustics and you can go sans-bowtie/tux if you don't mind sitting in the upper gallery. I've been a couple of times and have never been disappointed -- just remember not to clap before everyone else does.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 07 January 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Seeing what others have written (especially Abyss), I'd definitely change my recommendation to montreal over toronto now. I forgot about the shopping aspect. You can spend all fucking day (and I have) on Saint Laurent and Saint Denis streets in and out of mega-cute boutiques full of fashion, sex toys and all manner of other crazy shit. I hate shopping but even I can appreciate a bit of time visiting the Montreal shops...and that's not even including the underground network.

In fairness, there is this kind of boutique shopping all along Queen Street in Toronto as well, and then all of King Street is restaurants of every colour and shape. As well, on King Street is the Bell TIFF Lightbox, the film festival theatre that is always showing interesting flicks and always has an exhibit on (right now it's Stanley Kubrick props and memorabilia I think).

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 07 January 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

One other suggestion for Toronto, should things swing that way, is to see a performance at Roy Thompson hall. Toronto Symphony Orchestra is first-rate and the hall itself is a cool spot to go see a show. Fantastic acoustics and you can go sans-bowtie/tux if you don't mind sitting in the upper gallery. I've been a couple of times and have never been disappointed -- just remember not to clap before everyone else does.

Indeed, the link is above in my earlier post, and the upper gallery seats on either side usually run about $50-60CAD/ticket....but yes some of the best acoustics I've ever heard. The place is just built for sound. My wife and I go all the time (we have seasons passes). It's always a lovely night out. And you don't need to dress up no matter where you sit actually. We always dress up (dress casual, I wear a shirt and tie) but others down in the best seats don't always appear to.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

#31 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

Also, Blend and QT are just bitter that the Prime Minister likes me best.

I'm not sure I'd be proud that Stephen Harper likes you best Abyss....
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostBlend, on 07 January 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

Also, Blend and QT are just bitter that the Prime Minister likes me best.

I'm not sure I'd be proud that Stephen Harper likes you best Abyss....

^^This. In fact I would consider a badge of honour if Harper didn't like me best.

#33 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

aww...what have you all got against our wonderful sweater-vested prime minister??? What's he ever done to you?

rhetorical sarcastic question there...definitely not trying to hijack the thread with a bitchfest about harper. Christ...CBC news gives me more than I'll ever need of that.

How long are you thinking of staying if you extend the stay mez?

...you didn't go to Montreal to shop... you went there to eat like a frikkin royal...

Wanted to bring this up again too...Montreal is the only place I've ever been where I cut into an eggs benedict, found a hard egg yolk, and had the waiter notice within seconds and go get me a new eggs benny with proper runny yolks without even having to ask a) whether I wanted him to; or b ) whether I wanted runny yolks at all....because fuck that. Eggs benny has runny yolks and you can take your Anglo ass back to Toronto if you don't like it!!!

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 07 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#34 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

It's a shame you won't experience a real Canadian city. All those eastern cities are so close to the border that they're basically American. No, the only way to really experience Canada is to visit a prairie city in the dead of winter (which is of course the second worst winter in the country, the first being the northern territories and northern Quebec) surrounded by oil refineries and encouraging wildlife that could possibly kill you.

Mostly kidding. I was actually planning on a bit of an Eastern trip myself after the semester is done. More so the Maritime but I was planning maybe a couple day trips to Montreal which I've never been to. For my fellow Canadians who might be in the know, how does it compare to Vancouver, or Calgary (I would shamefully plug my own city but I doubt many people visit Edmonton for it's breath taking vistas)?

#35 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

View PostStudlock, on 07 January 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

It's a shame you won't experience a real Canadian city. All those eastern cities are so close to the border that they're basically American. No, the only way to really experience Canada is to visit a prairie city in the dead of winter (which is of course the second worst winter in the country, the first being the northern territories and northern Quebec) surrounded by oil refineries and encouraging wildlife that could possibly kill you.

Mostly kidding. I was actually planning on a bit of an Eastern trip myself after the semester is done. More so the Maritime but I was planning maybe a couple day trips to Montreal which I've never been to. For my fellow Canadians who might be in the know, how does it compare to Vancouver, or Calgary (I would shamefully plug my own city but I doubt many people visit Edmonton for it's breath taking vistas)?

Vancouver is really beautiful - lots of nice architecture, and it's right next to the ocean, Stanley Park is absolutely beautiful, and the best sushi I've ever had was in Vancouver (which doesn't really surprise me given it's right next to the ocean, and has one of Canada's (if not the) largest population of asian immigrants). The bar scene was kind of meh when I went, shopping was alright though. Robson street (I think that's what it was called) was a lot of fun to shop on, but I didn't get to see much else. Near Vancouver is Whistler, which is a beautiful ski resort, and if I'm not mistaken, the biggest ski hill in Canada, so if you're into downhill ski, great place for that! Also, the weather's almost always beautiful. I remember doing a trip across Canada in March for work a few years ago, and I went from -40 in Saskatoon, to -30 in Edmonton to +10 in Vancouver.

Don't know anything about Calgary besides the fact that the Stampede happens there. Edmonton is alright, if you like a metric shit tonne of concrete in the bottom of a valley. It was neat driving down into the basin of the valley from the airport, because you sort of drive back and forth along the side of the valley, so you get a beautiful view of the whole city on your way down. I didn't get to spend much time in Edmonton, though, so I don't know much more about it.

Maritimes are beautiful country - good people, good beer, good seafood, not a whole lot more. I've never been, so this is all second hand, for me, but everyone I know who has visited the Maritimes thought they were beautiful, and everyone who's ever been to Halifax says you NEED to eat Lobster in Halifax, it's almost directly out of the ocean onto your plate!

Studly - if you ever make it to Montreal, you must give me some forewarning so I can take a bus ride out to see ya! Beers MUST be drank!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#36 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Yeah I defintiely had great seafood and fun in Vancouver when I was there, though I was there for a weekend so I don't think I really captured the full experience.

I actually live in Edmonton and I'd have to say it isn't a great toursit city. It's too, I don't know how to put it, insular (not to mention the winter months are long and full of terrors). There's a surprising amount support for the local arts but to go to the good shows, or the good events, you have know a guy who knows a guy. There's nothing immediately exciting outside of West Edmonton Mall but I've never experienced it as a outsider so I don't know if it's impressive or not. The food's great too, especially meat places! And the River Valley is really beautiful in the summer, especially if you're south of the river.

Calgary is basically a cleaner, more accessible Edmonton with bigger events and more fun stuff to do.

Montreal though, I've always wanted to visit. It's the last on my 'big cities of Canada!" bucket list but I'm partially afraid it'll be a little daunting because of the language barrier (to my great shame I don't know French, despite my Grandmother being fluent in it). But I've heard the Maritimes is great and I got a couple cousins out east who offered to give me the tour so I'm think I'm going to take up that offer.

#37 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

View PostStudlock, on 07 January 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

You are evil! Why would you send her there? So mean!

My high school history teacher used to make a big deal about how soft we were (bunch of Vancouver schoolgirls, born and bred, with a few Hong Kong immigrants mixed in for variety) weren't "real Canadians" until we had spent a winter East of the Rockies. I figure 6 winters in Edmonton and a big chunk of 1 winter in a Northern Alberta logging town, I've earned my Canadian stripes by now, but I wouldn't tell someone to go out there. Not without kitting them out as if for a trip to the North Pole, anyway. People definitely friendlier there than in Vancouver.

Ottawa is pretty, but I couldn't give any travel advice. I've only been there for 2 days for an interview.

Mezla, if you get that license, you are welcome to come demo some medical devices for me in Vancouver. I am particularly excited about that portable bedside ultrasound device that is about the size of a tricorder.

#38 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

View PostStudlock, on 07 January 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

Yeah I defintiely had great seafood and fun in Vancouver when I was there, though I was there for a weekend so I don't think I really captured the full experience.

I actually live in Edmonton and I'd have to say it isn't a great toursit city. It's too, I don't know how to put it, insular (not to mention the winter months are long and full of terrors). There's a surprising amount support for the local arts but to go to the good shows, or the good events, you have know a guy who knows a guy. There's nothing immediately exciting outside of West Edmonton Mall but I've never experienced it as a outsider so I don't know if it's impressive or not. The food's great too, especially meat places! And the River Valley is really beautiful in the summer, especially if you're south of the river.

Calgary is basically a cleaner, more accessible Edmonton with bigger events and more fun stuff to do.

Montreal though, I've always wanted to visit. It's the last on my 'big cities of Canada!" bucket list but I'm partially afraid it'll be a little daunting because of the language barrier (to my great shame I don't know French, despite my Grandmother being fluent in it). But I've heard the Maritimes is great and I got a couple cousins out east who offered to give me the tour so I'm think I'm going to take up that offer.

Heh, I thought you were the other Studious Lock, thus why I called ya Studly!

#39 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostStudlock, on 07 January 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

Don't worry about not speaking French in Montreal, it's English enough that you shouldn't have any problem. You'd have a harder time in Quebec City, or almost anywhere else in the province of Quebec, but there's a big enough English speaking population in Montreal that it really shouldn't be an issue.

#40 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

It might be worth noting that while there are lots of great things in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, etc etc etc etc etc they are in the end just big cities. Yeah, the TSO/NACO/MSO are great orchestras, but Mez can go see the LondonSO fairly easily anytime she wants. Yeah, Montreal has great boutique shopping, but how much better is it really than what Mez can find in her home country? Same goes for zoos, foods, and shows.

Sure, Niagara falls might not be *that* impressive to us who have gone to see it three times and have it close by anytime we want to visit again... but there's nothing like it in the UK and Mez may never get a chance to see it again. So I wouldn't rule out the value of heading Toronto-way instead of Montreal-way or Sudbury-way simply because of its uniqueness.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users