Malazan Empire: Red Rising series by Pierce Brown - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Red Rising series by Pierce Brown Live for More, Howlers!!!

#21 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

Morning Star will be released in spring 2016.

/grooooannnssss!!!! why!!
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#22 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

this is brilliant so far.

read book one in 2 nights. Its been a long time since a book made me ignore the imperative to sleep. Gorydamn good book

reading soldier son at the minute and...am very pleased to find book 3 is here?!? well almost here :p

This is definitely not hunger games and nice flaming outfits....well kinda, but with blood, entrails and cannibalism.

This post has been edited by frookenhauer: 22 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

souls are for wimps

#23 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

Cool! I am really glad your enjoying. More fans the better--- It's simply fun the way I look at it. I'm really looking forward to my re-read. I dropped these in a sitting, or two..so probably need's to be done.

Bloodydamn..1 year is a long way, away.....

It's a well executed Space-Opera and I don't care if it "borrowed" elements. Seems like everyone see's them and isn't complaining either. The violence of the pacing, plotting, just has you engaged.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#24 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

I ordered the first book, and I didn't realize until it came in that it's written in first person present tense. That's unfortunate. I like it when Stover writes in present tense, but it actually has a plot purpose, and he doesn't always use it. I didn't like it in Hunger Games. That, along with the color picture of a young, good looking author on the back just screams "made to sell."

I will still give the book a shot, not sure when.

I know I'm being annoying by judging the book before reading it.

#25 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

End of Disc One, on 27 February 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

I ordered the first book, and I didn't realize until it came in that it's written in first person present tense. That's unfortunate. I like it when Stover writes in present tense, but it actually has a plot purpose, and he doesn't always use it. I didn't like it in Hunger Games. That, along with the color picture of a young, good looking author on the back just screams "made to sell."

I will still give the book a shot, not sure when.

I know I'm being annoying by judging the book before reading it.

It's cool when I went to Comic con..he was on the same panel with Rothfus/Butcher and they teased him endlessly about the GQ thing. THEN he stated never saw/read watchmen..went downhill from there. Probably the funniest panel I have seen.

He gave it right back too!.

Hope you Enjoy!!!

#26 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

Nobody..nobody..some of y'all gotta..please!!

#27 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

I noticed in the Butcher thread you compared him to Pierce Brown. Is the pacing that fast? Because I am not in the mood for long complicated stuff at the moment. Fast and action-packed are very welcome though. If this is a yes, I will pul book 1 out of the middle of my gigantic TBR pile ro co-read with Mechanical.

#28 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:26 AM

Andorion, on 23 March 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

I noticed in the Butcher thread you compared him to Pierce Brown. Is the pacing that fast? Because I am not in the mood for long complicated stuff at the moment. Fast and action-packed are very welcome though. If this is a yes, I will pul book 1 out of the middle of my gigantic TBR pile ro co-read with Mechanical.

uhhhhh. Pierce browns 1st 100 pages are really really slow. I would argue..they are break neck quick after that. tell me if I am wrong.

its space opera.

#29 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

Nicodimas, on 23 March 2015 - 05:26 AM, said:

Andorion, on 23 March 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

uhhhhh. Pierce browns 1st 100 pages are really really slow. I would argue..they are break neck quick after that. tell me if I am wrong.

its space opera.

Oh Space opera I like. Picking this up now.

#30 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

So I have started Red Rising. Lots of Hunger Games vibes so far. Is this a Spoiler thread?

#31 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

Song of Persephone ^

#32 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

Andorion, on 23 March 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

So I have started Red Rising. Lots of Hunger Games vibes so far. Is this a Spoiler thread?

Its more like Enders game than Hunger Games.
souls are for wimps

#33 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:10 AM

Finished Red Rising. You guys were right, this book was excellent. Sorry for having my doubts before reading it.

#34 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

I love it <obviously>

Still waiting for everyone to catch up?

"Like" hunger games...hahaha :apt:

#35 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Looking at the dramatis personae in the second book, I was glad to see that most of the more interesting characters are returning. Sevro is fucking awesome, too. Definitely my favorite character. I like how he's way more crafty than Darrow or anyone else, but he just doesn't have the charisma to be a leader.

Still kind of reeling at how great that finale was in Red Rising.
Spoiler

Maybe it's because I've read a lot of Stover lately, but Pierce Brown's writing reminds me of a young Matthew Stover. It's got the passion, but not as much wisdom (he is young). I think he has a lot of potential to grow as a writer as he gets older.

If the movie doesn't suck, this is going to be huge.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 06 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

#36 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

I think the movie aspect is early-->
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3518816/

I heard he is writing the ScreenPlay, but still finishing up the 2nd set of edits for Book 3, so let's hope.

The 2nd book's writing style improves, I think him touring and meeting all the writer's gave him more knowledge. I watched how he approached panels in 2014--> 2015 and noticeable difference, so hoping this knowledge translates to Book 3.

Sevro and Howlers should be a comic-book spin off..that would be amazing! I look forward to you finishing book 2.

#37 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

Finished Golden Son last night, and it was awesome as expected. My only complaint is that Darrow sometimes accomplishes things too easily. Like when
Spoiler

I'd say that Red Rising had the better climax, but Golden Son had the better final moments. Overall Golden Sun is the better book, mostly because the stakes are so much higher.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 09 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

#38 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

Only a couple more months wait for book 3...waiting patiently...anyone else get all caught up?

#39 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

I have this fear that book 3 is going to suck. Maybe because Mockingjay sucked, and I've been hearing a lot lately about trilogies having terrible endings. Hopefully Pierce can stick the landing. I can't wait.

#40 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:45 PM

So close now....so bloody close.

Im on the edge of my firkin seat
souls are for wimps

Share this topic: