Malazan Empire: Mark Lawrence thread for all things Mark Lawrence'y'ish - Malazan Empire

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mark Lawrence thread for all things Mark Lawrence'y'ish was "We need a Mark Lawrence subforum in here!"

#461 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 March 2022 - 11:49 AM

View Postchamp, on 07 March 2022 - 08:20 PM, said:

Hey Mark, if you're able to say anything on the subject, is the One Word Kill BBC project coming along all OK?

I didn't think it was a BBC project - as far as I know (which is very little) the option holders are working on a screen-play and looking to get studios interested.

To be honest, unless the parties involved specifically call on me for input, I just leave them to it. I've had so much talk from so many people over the years that I treat all the hype with an "Uh huh." and wait to be proved wrong (and shown the money).

To put this in context, I've had the head of CBS studios facetime me with grand tales of what's about to happen, and the directors of films that cost $100s of millions wax lyrical down the phone and make blood oaths about the wonderful thing just around the corner. It's a dream factory - most of it fades with the next morning's light.

#462 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:48 PM

For real though One Word Kill and the sequels would be a really good TV show if it was done right
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#463 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 March 2022 - 06:04 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 08 March 2022 - 11:49 AM, said:

View Postchamp, on 07 March 2022 - 08:20 PM, said:

Hey Mark, if you're able to say anything on the subject, is the One Word Kill BBC project coming along all OK?

I didn't think it was a BBC project - as far as I know (which is very little) the option holders are working on a screen-play and looking to get studios interested.

To be honest, unless the parties involved specifically call on me for input, I just leave them to it. I've had so much talk from so many people over the years that I treat all the hype with an "Uh huh." and wait to be proved wrong (and shown the money).

To put this in context, I've had the head of CBS studios facetime me with grand tales of what's about to happen, and the directors of films that cost $100s of millions wax lyrical down the phone and make blood oaths about the wonderful thing just around the corner. It's a dream factory - most of it fades with the next morning's light.

Thank you for the feedback, I had no idea how it worked behind the scenes so it is good to get your perspective. It shows my naivety, I thought authors would be involved all along the chain.

It must be difficult to sign away your hard work and let someone else take the reins on a connected project.

I can imagine it gets wearisome too all the promises. It's a shame as your works would translate so well to the screen. Here is hoping for the future!

This post has been edited by champ: 08 March 2022 - 06:04 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#464 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 March 2022 - 07:25 PM

View Postchamp, on 08 March 2022 - 06:04 PM, said:

It shows my naivety, I thought authors would be involved all along the chain.

It must be difficult to sign away your hard work and let someone else take the reins on a connected project.

I think there might be 5 authors on the planet who have the publishing power (book sales) such that they can retain and use decisive powers continuously on a TV/movie project. GRRM before Benioff/Weiss bombed the ending of GoT, Rowling (after the main series finished, before she started being a public bigot), Stephen King (who has been involved to some degree in just about every production of his works), and maybe Nora Roberts or Danielle Steel.

The people putting in the $ and doing the actual work of producing, writing, directing, filming, and distributing etc all have a default of shouldering others out. That's often a good decision because they're the experts, but it can be a bad thing (see most of the shitty adaptations of works we know) and it can mean it's hard to break in as an outsider because "the experts are talking".

I love M. Lawrence books and wish him every bit of well earned success and fun, but he's not in the GRRM realm. Crucially, he's keeping quite a level head and just told us he knows that these are often dreams made of smoke that are being sold and passed around. Only a handful of those dreams become reality in that way and hopefully, we do get to see something of his in a quality way eventually.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#465 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 March 2022 - 04:20 AM

Gaiman fits, but only after a long messy road to get there, and he's denied the rights to multiple works multiple times because he didn't think the fit was right, despite the giant globs of money thrown at him.

Unfortunate reality of the industry is at any time multiple projects are being kicked around and only a fraction make it all the way through.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#466 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:54 AM

I was going to throw Gaiman into the mix there, he was fairly involved in Good Omens, not sure about AG.

#467 User is offline   champ 

Posted 26 April 2022 - 09:41 AM

Reminder: New book out Thursday!

Tehol said:

#468 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 April 2022 - 06:38 PM

It's out here in the US! I'll probably start it tomorrow though.

#469 User is offline   champ 

Posted 26 April 2022 - 08:33 PM

It's good that the different regions release dates were so close together for the final book, even though I'm still jealous you get it a couple days early!

Tehol said:

#470 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 April 2022 - 12:11 AM

Spoiler

Hi

This post has been edited by Abyss: 02 May 2022 - 03:38 AM
Reason for edit: FFS THAT PIC WAS HUUUUUGE

#471 User is offline   champ 

Posted 30 April 2022 - 01:58 PM

Finally settled down to read The Girl and the Moon, not even at chapter one yet and I'm about to lose my shit from the "Story so far" section...

Mr Lawrence... if you've done what I think you may have done... you're an absolute madman and genius and I've been waiting for something like this for 9 years!!!

Just DO NOT READ until you've FINISHED the book, spoiler from "The story so far" section before chapter 1...

Spoiler

And if not, you're a bloody tease but I'll take that as that has got my heart going for this book even more now...

Tehol said:

#472 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 30 April 2022 - 04:18 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 April 2022 - 12:11 AM, said:

Hi

That photos is so hi-res that if you have a thumbprint operated safe or phone, I believe neither is secure anymore :D

Many thanks for the sale! I hope you enjoy the book.

This post has been edited by Mark Lawrence: 30 April 2022 - 04:19 PM

#473 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 30 April 2022 - 04:21 PM

View Postchamp, on 30 April 2022 - 01:58 PM, said:

Finally settled down to read The Girl and the Moon, not even at chapter one yet and I'm about to lose my shit from the "Story so far" section...

Mr Lawrence... if you've done what I think you may have done... you're an absolute madman and genius and I've been waiting for something like this for 9 years!!!

Just DO NOT READ until you've FINISHED the book, spoiler from "The story so far" section before chapter 1...

Spoiler

And if not, you're a bloody tease but I'll take that as that has got my heart going for this book even more now...

It's funny you should use the term "madman".

This from a recent interview I did:

"One reader well versed in the ways of this particular character reached the reveal and messaged me to say "You absolute madman, you actually did it!". Another, who had also followed the character through many books, missed their presence entirely and yet still 5★ed The Girl And The Moon and reviewed it with lavish praise. So, in the final analysis, I feel that the undercurrents of the many books reach a confluence here that will bring a measure of satisfaction to the sharp-eyed Lawrence devotee, whilst having no negative impact whatsoever on the ability of a newbie to devour The Girl And The Moon with maximum enjoyment.

But it wasn't an easy needle to thread!"

https://www.grimdark...wrence-endings/

The font seems to be invisible here, but I guess that can act as a spoiler-guard, not that it contains spoilers. Hints, possibly.

This post has been edited by Mark Lawrence: 30 April 2022 - 04:23 PM

#474 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2022 - 07:39 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 30 April 2022 - 04:21 PM, said:

Spoiler

This from a recent interview I did:

"One reader well versed in the ways of this particular character reached the reveal and messaged me to say "You absolute madman, you actually did it!". Another, who had also followed the character through many books, missed their presence entirely and yet still 5★ed The Girl And The Moon and reviewed it with lavish praise. So, in the final analysis, I feel that the undercurrents of the many books reach a confluence here that will bring a measure of satisfaction to the sharp-eyed Lawrence devotee, whilst having no negative impact whatsoever on the ability of a newbie to devour The Girl And The Moon with maximum enjoyment.

But it wasn't an easy needle to thread!"

https://www.grimdark...wrence-endings/

The font seems to be invisible here, but I guess that can act as a spoiler-guard, not that it contains spoilers. Hints, possibly.

It's possible to view the text by selecting it---or by clicking 'Reply' and looking at the automatic quotation.

#475 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 01 May 2022 - 02:43 PM

Meanwhile, on r/fantasy - the mother of all conspiracy theories!

https://old.reddit.c...d_the_moon_the/

#476 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 May 2022 - 03:44 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 01 May 2022 - 02:43 PM, said:

Meanwhile, on r/fantasy - the mother of all conspiracy theories!

You really do love it, don't you? :rolleyes:

You and Brandon Sanderson (or the gestalt entity that calls itself such) and other authors of similar bent should get together in a pub - Brandon could have lemon, lime and bitters - and chuckle over fan speculation.
Or do it at a con and just really wind the crowd up. People would pay extra to be tortured and teased (in public too!) like that. Heck, some already do, I'll wager. The literary version of BDSM.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 01 May 2022 - 03:45 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#477 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:46 PM

Wow - what a book (The Girl and the Moon). It stayed meaningful throughout and my heart broke a few times. Mark has gotten better and better at creating moments between characters that make the reader feel real things without being manipulative or easily predictable. It's a joy to read.

I want to see what's happening at the bottom of the oceans - especially after a certain someone gets restored to themselves. I want to see what happens post-Moon. I want to see Nona develop over time - to see what happens to her headstrong fury and need to fix things as experience and more complicated situations arise.

#478 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:26 AM

View Postamphibian, on 09 May 2022 - 03:46 PM, said:

Wow - what a book (The Girl and the Moon). It stayed meaningful throughout and my heart broke a few times. Mark has gotten better and better at creating moments between characters that make the reader feel real things without being manipulative or easily predictable. It's a joy to read.

I want to see what's happening at the bottom of the oceans - especially after a certain someone gets restored to themselves. I want to see what happens post-Moon. I want to see Nona develop over time - to see what happens to her headstrong fury and need to fix things as experience and more complicated situations arise.

Great to hear you enjoyed it! :)

Next year - something new - a trilogy starting with The Book That Wouldn't Burn.

#479 User is offline   champ 

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:52 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 30 April 2022 - 04:21 PM, said:

Spoiler

If we've both said it then we must have a point haha…

But HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! What a moment that was… Seriously, as a fan, that reveal was beyond epic, I had to put the book down and do a little dance in my chair when I read the section…

I didn't even need to read the full section, as soon as I read…

Spoiler

Bravo, Mr Lawrence, bravo… one of my all time favourite moments from any book…

Tehol said:

#480 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 May 2022 - 08:26 PM

On page 192/193

Making a call

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First