Malazan Empire: Mark Lawrence thread for all things Mark Lawrence'y'ish - Malazan Empire

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mark Lawrence thread for all things Mark Lawrence'y'ish was "We need a Mark Lawrence subforum in here!"

#41 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

So's your digestive track.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#42 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 27 September 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Wossname with the 8 races he never explained and the hackneyed plot? Puh-lease motherfucker, that was rubbish...

If you're complaining about Abraham because he doesn't explain every detail of his world in the first book, then I'm not sure how you managed to get through MBotF. I've read all 4 books in Abraham's series so far, and he reveals much more information about the races and the rest of the world. He just does it in trickles throughout the books.

Sure, the plot - which does become more complex - is not mindblowing, and there are some things I'm not a huge fan of. However, the primary reason I've stuck with the series is Abraham's excellent characterization, which makes up for the plot flaws.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 28 September 2014 - 07:17 PM

#43 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 28 September 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 27 September 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Wossname with the 8 races he never explained and the hackneyed plot? Puh-lease motherfucker, that was rubbish...

If you're complaining about Abraham because he doesn't explain every detail of his world in the first book, then I'm not sure how you managed to get through MBotF. I've read all 4 books in Abraham's series so far, and he reveals much more information about the races and the rest of the world. He just does it in trickles throughout the books.

Sure, the plot - which does become more complex - is not mindblowing, and there are some things I'm not a huge fan of. However, the primary reason I've stuck with the series is Abraham's excellent characterization, which makes up for the plot flaws.

No, that's noy why I don't like it - for me it's just very poor all-around. The characters are flat and uninteresting. The plot is predictable and boring. The setting (which ought to be interesting with all these exotic races) is drab.

But hey, that's just my opinion :)

#44 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 29 September 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

And opinions are like farts.

Everyone else's stinks.
meh. Link was dead :(

#45 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 29 September 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 29 September 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

And opinions are like farts.

Everyone else's stinks.

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#46 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:59 AM

I want to punch "grim dark" in the face so that it's black and blue dark. Hate that term.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 30 September 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

I want to punch "grim dark" in the face so that it's black and blue dark. Hate that term.

It's the term the subgenre deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Posted Image

#48 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

"Grimdark" sounds like some weird fad that teenagers go through to appear more "edgy" or "alternative" than their classmates. Kind of like emos or something.

"Man I'm so Grimdark. I spent 3 hours looking at the moon and listening to My Chemical Romance on repeat..."
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#49 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think they call that "Goth", Tiste
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#50 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

But in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Unless of course you're CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM - then there's punnery too.

#51 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostHiddenOne, on 01 October 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Yeah I know what Goth is. In my head, Grimdark kids are even whinier.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 02 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#52 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 October 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

View PostHiddenOne, on 01 October 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Yeah I know what Goth is. In my head, Grimdark kids are even whinier.

I didn't think that was possible.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#53 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 27 September 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

Have fun with that. Caine.... is hardcore!

I am thoroughly enjoying Heroes Die, reminds me strongly of the Takeshi Kovacs books which is good because I loved those :rant:

#54 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 September 2014 - 11:21 PM, said:

"Grimdark" sounds like some weird fad that teenagers go through to appear more "edgy" or "alternative" than their classmates. Kind of like emos or something.

"Man I'm so Grimdark. I spent 3 hours looking at the moon and listening to My Chemical Romance on repeat..."

I always thought it should be a character on one of the Adult Swim shows.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

I love the fact that "Grimdark", a term coined (stolen from Warcraft?) by asshole bloggers whose seeming sole purpose in life was to not only tear down that which they don't like personally, but to try to get an internet movement going to make it a slanderous term [something this world needed no more of to be honest]...and Richard Morgan, Joe Abercrombie, Mark Lawrence, and the rest of those "accused" of grimdark came along and stole the term and made it their own turned it on its head and now it's not a slander at all and just denotes a sub-sub-genre of fantasy or sci-fi. That's GREAT! I used to hate the term, but now it stands as a big banner "Fuck you" to those bloggers from the bastions of the authors who were maligned for such writing. It's literally one of my favourite things that has occurred on the internet.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#56 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:10 PM

40k not warcraft.

But by and large I agree with you.

#57 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

whatever guys, don't be such curmudgeons - grimdark, it's not terrible. It acts as a marker to indicate essentially adult fantasy, in which bad things happen to good people and probably nobody's even going to notice it, let alone do anything about it. If I were paying attention to such things, I would find it a useful marker.

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 02 October 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

whatever guys, don't be such curmudgeons - grimdark, it's not terrible. It acts as a marker to indicate essentially adult fantasy, in which bad things happen to good people and probably nobody's even going to notice it, let alone do anything about it. If I were paying attention to such things, I would find it a useful marker.

Agreed.

It's about as meaningful as 'Epic'.

#59 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 02 October 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

My problem with 'grimdark' is not the meaning of the word, but the word itself. Stupid stupid looking phrase. It's perhaps even worse than the longstanding tendency to name new subgenres whateverpunk no matter how little sense it makes (steampunk particularly galls me, because in my experienced it's quite a mannered, organised sort of genre that's about as far from 'punk' as it's possible to be).

The subgenre and definition thereof is fine, albeit I've found there's a growing trend for the assumption of inherent superiority for a work just because it's grimdark, based on the premise that Bakker, Abercrombie et al found success not because they're bloody good but purely because they weren't pure happy.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

I would read a Whateverpunk book. It sounds nutters.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users