Malazan Empire: Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time - Malazan Empire

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuous read-through of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Spoilers for all books, Spoilers unblocked and blatant

#201 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 October 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 23 October 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

My other main beef with RJ, and though this came through Nynaeve trying to teach the sea Folk, but its a pretty general beef:In RJs world trust and co-operation are foreign words. ...

Hardly in RJ's world... that's human nature and he makes it pretty clear this is after generations of distrust and concealing channeling to avoid conflict with the Aes Sedai. It's hardly unrealistic that the Sea Folk and Aeil don't just throwing their arms open to the most secretive and manipulative group on the planet.

Sure, the Last Final End Battle is Coming, but most of them don't know what that means, how close it is and/or have their own prophecies and ideas about how to deal with it.

I acknowledge RJ overstated the point a few dozen times, but it's hardly unrealistic behavior.

View Postacesn8s, on 23 October 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

...., I think Jordan got lost in the minutia. I think an editor who wasn't his wife might have been able to keep him on task and maybe saved us a book or two over the course of the series.

I suspect the publisher feels otherwise, because money.

What is more irritating is that RJ can make groups evolve, but chooses not to. For example the rivalry among the different national armies in Rand's camp is mentioned many a time. Its understandable, Especially between Illian and Tear. But Mat manages to turn a diverse group into a cohesive whole in his band.

Yes, and that's (one reason) why Mat is awesome, and Rand is not Mat. Also, you're not done the series.

An example of the realistic attitude that would be more plausible oddly enough comes from Cadsuane one of the most dominating women of the Aes Sedai:
She understands the very fundamentals. Rand has to reach Tarmon Gaidan, he has to be sane and normal until then. Saddling him with advisers, or trying to kidnap him, or forcefully bonding him won't work.

Sure, but if everyone just agreed with that approach it would have been a pretty boring series.

...The second aspect is the idea that if anyone disagrees with you, you can just have them beaten up. ...No actual power relation works that way.

Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan say you're wrong.
(Afganistan too, but who cares what they think ...)

The existence of the Gray diplomatic Ajah is a farce existing in the same universe as this.

The Grays exist to sort out disputes between nations, not internal Aes Sedai crap.

RJ WANTS the reader to be frustrated by characters' actions... but you seem to be trying to reconcile his world with reality to the detriment of your enjoyment of the books. There's enough garbage there to wade through with trying to compare it to 'reality' and how you think the characters should be acting.

Also, a lot of this is RAFO. That the plots aren't moving along fast enough puts you in company with most of us who found that element of the series frustrating.

I understand it can be tough to overcome centuries of prejudice, I am not asking for a whole institutional conversion, but a few sensible individuals would have been nice. I mean Egeannin the Seanchan, who had an ingrained, trained and in Seanchan terms fuly justifiable view that all channellers would have to be Damane started listening to Aes Sedai, asking questions, breaking rules. And thats in a few weeks. Would it have been too much to give just a few similar people from the Aiel and the sea Folk? You know just to break the monolithics structure, add some variety etc.

I don't want all the Aes Sedai to start thinking like Cadsuane, but out of around 1000 odd sisters, only Cadsuane, Moiraine and to some extent Verin have even a basic idea of how to deal with him? Thats what's odd. Most of the Aes Sedai come across as petty and rigid. A few more would have been better. Actually I had been anticipating a faction splinter group who stand with the Dragon Reborn and other factions take different approaches, but between Moiraine vanishing and Cadsuane turning up there was no such group. Shouldn't the Aes Sedai be smarter than this?

Regarding the Gray Ajah I was referring to international incidents. Multiple times there have been references to Aes Sedai bringing physical force to bear on rulers. Isn't that kind of the opposite of diplomacy? Also the Gray would have been really useful in establishing first relations with the Aiel instead of the mess that happened after Dumai's Wells.

I am not only comparing it to reality. My main problem with some of the big features of this series is that they have no parallels in fantasy I have read either. Now that by itself is not a bad thing. Uniqueness is good. But the stuff thats missing, well a lot of it is what makes a book enjoyable for me Like there is no camaraderie, no banter, no lighter moments. Except with Mat. One of the most pricelss parts of Malazanwas the banter between the marines. We never see that, though the Maidens were an excellent group for something like this. Nearly all relations are in terms of Domination and submission. This makes the WoT world very bland, when with so many characters, so many cultures it could have been so much richer. Again I am not saying all authors have to follow a simialr template in writng military narratives, or even epic fantasy narratives. But if you take out the banter and replace it with frustrating stubbornness and conflict and that keeps on going for 7-8 books, the reader will feel a bit put upon.

Finally, why exactly does RJ want the reader frustrated? I mean SE wants the readers to find out stuff, puzzle out things, connect clues, so he doesn't infodump, which is why the books are so much richer on a reread. But whats the payoff for frustration and anger caused not by absent clues but due to the sheer stubbornness of characters? I mean how does the reader gain? The climaxes are good, but I have read better. The battle scenes would really benefit from more detail. So what is the point of antagonising the reader? Is it RAFO? is there a mind-boggling convergence to come? If so, excellent.

One of my big worries now is how its all going to be pulled together. Things have blown up and scattered to such an extent....

#202 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 October 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

I was talking about a certain family connection.

Erm do you mean how Rand is related to the royal families of both Cairhien and Camelyn through his mothers side? Yeah, that had me thinking 'oh great bring on the incest' but if I remember correctly he asked about a lot and turns out that the actual noble to noble relations are really tenuous and distant and so it probably doesn't count.

#203 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Incestuous lesbians

#204 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

I don't want all the Aes Sedai to start thinking like Cadsuane, but out of around 1000 odd sisters, only Cadsuane, Moiraine and to some extent Verin have even a basic idea of how to deal with him? Thats what's odd. Most of the Aes Sedai come across as petty and rigid. A few more would have been better. Actually I had been anticipating a faction splinter group who stand with the Dragon Reborn and other factions take different approaches, but between Moiraine vanishing and Cadsuane turning up there was no such group. Shouldn't the Aes Sedai be smarter than this?

Maybe Messana, Alviarin, Sheriam, Galina, and the others have something to do with this?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#205 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 October 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

I'm talking about from bk 4 Rand and Galad being brothers. It's very minor but I found most mention it at some point and it hasn't here and that has surprised me.

Half bros no?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#206 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

View PostAbyss, on 23 October 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 23 October 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

I'm talking about from bk 4 Rand and Galad being brothers. It's very minor but I found most mention it at some point and it hasn't here and that has surprised me.

Half bros no?

Oh that. Well the thing is that in the books, Gawyn and Galad are hyped up a lot, but so far they only have had bit parts. So after some time, it didn't really seem important.

#207 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:04 AM

I'm curious as to which is your current favourite female character as of this point, cause for me for almost the whole series it's been Min, for being literally the least worst.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#208 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:42 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 24 October 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

I'm curious as to which is your current favourite female character as of this point, cause for me for almost the whole series it's been Min, for being literally the least worst.

View PostBriar King, on 24 October 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

Yeah half bros. As I said it's relatively a minor detail in the scope of everything happening but Galad is one of my fav minor characters.

For my pick on fav female it's Min also followed by Avi just cause she's a red head and IRL my brain melts around them and I become a 15 yr old male.

Favourite female: Min, hands down. Most sensible, level-headed and her talent is really useful.
Favourite Male: Mat. No question

#209 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:00 AM

Finished Winters Heart.

Firstly: Cyndane is Lanfear. That means she did die. Which means Moiraine is gone.

Secondly: MAT! MAT! MAT! His escape chapter made the book for me. So you are trying to sneak out Aes Sedai Damane from a Seanchan stronghold and are confronted with a Seanchan High Blood? Knock her out and kidnap her! Aint no problem at all! The absolute best part was when everybody started freaking out "thats the Daughter of th eNine Moons! You can't touch her! We are all going to die!" Mat goes Daughter of the Nine Moons? Oh thats fine then. Shes my wife you know" and then they go "Noooooo!! YOu Cant!!!" and Mat just shrugs "Why not?" Best damn scene of the book, probably the series.

After that everything else kind of paled but Padan Fain was again very interesting. He seems to be losing his awareness, talking ot himself.

The last chapter was very very cool. The battle on the hilltop was everything RJ battles are usually not. I could visualize the whole scene really well and the coordinated planned circles fending of the Forsaken made for very good reading.

Now could somebody explain exactly what was it that Rand did? Did he extricate the contamination of Saidn and send ot to Shadar Logoth? And then what happened to Shadar Logoth? Did it vanish? What happened to the taint then? Did the taint and Logoth cancel each other out? What happens to Fain because of this?

#210 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:37 AM

View PostBriar King, on 24 October 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

Most of that is RAFO. Yes Shadar is gone physically.

I hesitate to fully tell you about the Taint but again RAFO.

WH is completely made by those ending chapters otherwise not much happens but yeah that ending is ACES!

Ofcourse Mat is the shit! I told you that back on bk3 lol!!

Now....now you just gotta hang on and blow through bk 10 LMMFAO!!!!

Erm, without Spoilers could you hint at why Crossroads gets such a bad Rep? I mean Jordan markedly improved in the last section of WH, in fact probably the best buch of chapters after the first three books, sooo what happened in Crossroads? Nothing happens? Idiotic, irrelevant stuff happens? Developing plot, character arcs are blasted to bits for no discernible reason?

(Crosses fingers) Everyone dies?

#211 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:51 AM

View PostBriar King, on 24 October 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

Best description is it's fucking boring lol.

It's a bit easier for us that didn't have to wait for yrs for that garbage of a bk though. I can totally see the justified anger those people went through and then had to wait again for bk 11. I really liked 11.

I ll be having fun reading your post on 10.

If 10 was boring i can see how that would piss people off, especially after the way 9 ended.

#212 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:03 AM

Yep.It's a setup book with exceedingly little payoff and very little forward movement.
On the faves question, I am the only person I know whose answer to the female side of that is Nynaeve. Why? Because she's willful as fuck, faces off with Moiraine in book one and iirc the Amyrlin in bk 2, is the first character who isn't Rand to outsmart a Foresaken ( yes, Moiraine beat one, but she balefired him... Nynaeve outsmarted Moghedien in the Dream)... Notwithstanding her block, She heals stilling, wins frikkin Lan, is fanatically protective of her people, not intimidated by anyone.... And I won't even get into some of the shit she gets into in later books like the time she yanks out her own braid and uses it like nunchucks to take out three Fades before strangling Demandred with it.... Yes, she suffers from a lot of the RJ nonsense braid pulling skirt smoothing man hating whatever... Even so she's possibly the most willful protagonist of either gender short of Rand.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#213 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 24 October 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

Don't lie Illy, you're all about those tight tight trousers

#214 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostBriar King, on 24 October 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

Best description is it's fucking boring lol.

It's a bit easier for us that didn't have to wait for yrs for that garbage of a bk though. I can totally see the justified anger those people went through and then had to wait again for bk 11. I really liked 11.

I ll be having fun reading your post on 10.

Fucking boring fits it perfectly.I remember it was the first "normal" book with some length I tried to read in English when I was like 13-14. It was not every encouraging.. But Hey, maybe OP likes it.

#215 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

No-one likes book 10

#216 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

I am about to start it. Its not as long as Lord of Chaos or some others, so shouldnt take too long, right?Posted Image

#217 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

Please remember that book 11 is much more a return to form. Also read this spoiler once you're finished and see if it conflicts with your impression of the book:

Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#218 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 October 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

Yep.It's a setup book with exceedingly little payoff and very little forward movement.
On the faves question, I am the only person I know whose answer to the female side of that is Nynaeve. Why? Because she's willful as fuck, faces off with Moiraine in book one and iirc the Amyrlin in bk 2, is the first character who isn't Rand to outsmart a Foresaken ( yes, Moiraine beat one, but she balefired him... Nynaeve outsmarted Moghedien in the Dream)... Notwithstanding her block, She heals stilling, wins frikkin Lan, is fanatically protective of her people, not intimidated by anyone.... And I won't even get into some of the shit she gets into in later books like the time she yanks out her own braid and uses it like nunchucks to take out three Fades before strangling Demandred with it.... Yes, she suffers from a lot of the RJ nonsense braid pulling skirt smoothing man hating whatever... Even so she's possibly the most willful protagonist of either gender short of Rand.

Nynaeve is my favorite as well. She's a fiery little thing. And, because this...

book 11 chapter 20: spoiler
Spoiler

“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#219 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

Nyneave is my favourite because I like to burn myself with matches
And cut my self
And punch myself in the balls
And pull out my nose hairs
And gouge my own eyes

Yes that's a list of things Id rather do than have to listen to her bitching and watching her tug her braid.
Bet she would give a mean hand job

#220 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Finished the prologue of Crossroads of Twilight:

It seems that people in the west are finally getting organized against the Seanchan. Which is good. Might make for a good storyline.

The White Tower continues to be a total madhouse, and the extent of its corruption is getting more evident by the day. Must say I had to smile at the part where the sisters were getting switching penances and pretending these were their own private choice, and even Elaida is apparently doing it. Its just surreal. A towerful of magically powerful women superparanoid and apparantly volunteering to get beaten up on a regular basis. I groaned when Gawyn came in again. What exactly have either he or Galad actually done?

The Whitecloaks are marching. Big deal. They have not really done anything central since the second book, except for that unpleasant interlude where they had Morgase.

Camelyn is under 'seige' but because of 'politics' Bael and Bashere have to sit around doing nothing. This is just bizarre. But assasins are making the rounds.

Assasination attempt on Dobraine, something stolen, but Loial is back! Was wondering where he went. Logaine is marching on Cairhien Weirdest damn thing is that none of the Ashaman have mentioned the cleansing of the source. Whats the Timeline of this book? Has Rand actually cleaned it yet? Are we seeing simultaneous events?

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users