Malazan Empire: Italic Thoughts - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Italic Thoughts

#1 User is offline   Infyra 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

No this does not have anything to do with thoughts in Italy.

I have just started Assail two days ago, but one of things I noticed that somehow seemed to bother me more then it should, the personal viewpoint thoughts are not in Italic. The book is published by Bentam just like all my Malazan books are, however by now I am used to both Erikson and ICE using Italic paragraphs for personal thoughts. Could there be any reason for this? Is it just something a editor would add for clarification?
Are all your books also like this?

#2 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

That bothers me too but it's not as bad as what was done in his previous books, IMO.

In previous books, ICE would use italics but he usually wouldn't write the thoughts in first person. It was pretty bizarre.

#3 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 28 August 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

<br />That bothers me too but it's not as bad as what was done in his previous books, IMO.<br /><br />In previous books, ICE would use italics but he usually wouldn't write the thoughts in first person.  It was pretty bizarre.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

What's wrong with thoughts in first person? I write mine that way.

But yes - this annoyed the hell out of me. That the thoughts bled into the text and I had to 'work' to decipher them. No reason I can see not to italicize them all.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users