Malazan Empire: Fighting Fantasy gamebooks - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fighting Fantasy gamebooks ... just turned 30!

#1 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Anyone else remember these? I had quite a few, even got the companion guides about the world it was set in (Titan) and the creature guide (name I can't recall atm). Might even have a couple buried deep in the boxes in the garage.

EDIT:
Aha! a quick google search reminds me it was called "Out of the Pit".

Good times. :)

http://www.bbc.com/n...gazine-28865399

This post has been edited by Sombra: 25 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Have you seen the app versions of these on the Play store? I presume they're on Itunes too.

I haven't tried one yet but I think they've done two or three now, including Sorcery and Forest of Doom at least, with maps and the whole fighting thing included.

I loved City of Thieves. That book alone got me into fantasy. There was also a pretty good one called Creature of Havoc where you started out in the body of a monster, and you had to find out who you'd been and how you'd been transformed.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

I had loads haha, Wizard of Firetop Mountain, Deathtrap Dungeon, Creature of Havoc and something with blue lizard people on the front. I must of had about 15 of them.

These were a big deal in primary school for a while, circa 2003 I think.

I remember the advert being on TV and that was it, I was sold. Despite having loads I only ever finished one or two and cheated my way through those, "I never took my finger off the page it doesn't count!". And redoing the starting dice rolls till all your stats were awesome.

I recently gave all mine away to my cousins kids though, don't know if they'll be any use, seeing as they're filled with pencil scribbles.

For the nostalgic...

#4 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Looking at the titles, I think I read most of them. Although for some reason back then I wasn't so interested in the space ones.

They were so heavily influenced by Tolkien, a fact I didn't realise at the time, as I read them first. They even had hobbits in them. And I remember a town called Dree in one of them, and a flying ship called the Galleykeep which I still think is a great idea.

Edit.. Sombra, I just googled Out of the Pit - I think I had it too, those illustrations are really familiar.

Blast from the past in updated form..

Attached File  Screenshot_2014-08-25-19-15-18.png (710.26K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5 User is offline   Kruppe 

• Recruit

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, these definitely got me started on fantasy, i remember playing them with small groups of kids in my year at school.
Galleykeep was from Creature of Havoc - my favourite one, quite difficult and really clever i thought.

Good times...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users