Malazan Empire: Sanctity of life versus Practicality - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanctity of life versus Practicality

Poll: Sanctity of life versus Practicality (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you:

1. Flip the switch (10 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Leave it be? (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostSecond Sword, on 22 August 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Yes, I was asking about how much you value your own life. Not that I disagree with you in general. But it's interesting how highly we value our own, and how lowly other (anonymous) people's. Also, I was planning on offering 50$ for my own Maybe Brent Weeks. Seems like no deal.

What bothers me about the main question, is that the choice is not simple 5 vs 1. The 5 people are already part of the event. They are gonna die, unless you decide to act. But the repairman is not involved in that - you involve him by makig him a sacrifice without his knowledge.
I don't know if anybody else feels that way, but in a certain way it seems... cruel.

This is a qualm more common among the people in my circles. No matter who it saves I think we all balk at the thought of taking a life that otherwise would have continued had we simply allowed fate to play itself out. On the other hand it is fate that you have the power to click the button/flip the switch. One can argue by virtue of you witnessing an event you are where you are in order to change it.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#22 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostDolmen Lamora, on 22 August 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

The doctor choosing to kill a nurse to save 5 patients is a really interesting version I've yet to hear

I've actually made that one up on the spot. Seems fitting though and kinda evil-ish. I'm especially proud of the 'whack the nurse' part.

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostDolmen Lamora, on 22 August 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Yes, I was asking about how much you value your own life. Not that I disagree with you in general. But it's interesting how highly we value our own, and how lowly other (anonymous) people's. Also, I was planning on offering 50$ for my own Maybe Brent Weeks. Seems like no deal.

What bothers me about the main question, is that the choice is not simple 5 vs 1. The 5 people are already part of the event. They are gonna die, unless you decide to act. But the repairman is not involved in that - you involve him by makig him a sacrifice without his knowledge.
I don't know if anybody else feels that way, but in a certain way it seems... cruel.

This is a qualm more common among the people in my circles. No matter who it saves I think we all balk at the thought of taking a life that otherwise would have continued had we simply allowed fate to play itself out. On the other hand it is fate that you have the power to click the button/flip the switch. One can argue by virtue of you witnessing an event you are where you are in order to change it.

If you're going to claim/blame "fate" for being there able to flip the switch (but unable to do anything else, and also given absolute certainty of the consequences of each action, apparently), then you can easily claim/blame "fate" for those 5 people being tied up on the rails anyways. Just whistle and walk away, it's not your fault, it's "fate" :)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Ah but what if all five of those people on track one were Hitler eh

What if the single person on track 2 was Jesus

I mean hey, at least he'd forgive you
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#25 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostD, on 22 August 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

View PostDolmen Lamora, on 22 August 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

If you're going to claim/blame "fate" for being there able to flip the switch (but unable to do anything else, and also given absolute certainty of the consequences of each action, apparently), then you can easily claim/blame "fate" for those 5 people being tied up on the rails anyways. Just whistle and walk away, it's not your fault, it's "fate" :)

Well let's unpack the question of fate then. If we are all born purposeless and without any real ideal state to which our actions are hurtling us to then random chance is the by-law of life, evolution, intelligence on earth and all the things that make sentience possible. We are all a very well co-ordinated happy accident in a fortunately ideal environ. You can adhere to this and live a happy life, I'm sure. Yet there are book loads of records where random chance is so thoroughly against( or for) a cause it seems that there is a larger hand at work. Cosmic interest if you will.

Anyways there are patterns in the forms of things that hint at unity in existential life. Common cause and commonality in form (we are all carbon based life forms for example). This unifier may also factor in the temporal quantity. We may all be pieces of a time space pattern. Time treats things that are common in a common manner. Trusting times cyclical pattern of life and rebirth is in many ways factoring in the possibility of fate.

Now the only governing aspect to fate (in my mind ) is time and the perpetuation of possibility. If an action happens in a certain order fate Alpha may be at play, If fate Beta becomes possible offering more actions than fate Alpha then fate Alpha can be superceded by fate Beta on the grounds that Fate is geared to perpetuate Itself.

Now back to the switch question: The fact life's pattern has gone out of its way to give you an option that opens more possibilities up by saving more lives I'd say "Fate" is on your side simply because more lives open up the possibility for more options.

I guess common possibility is a better term to use here as Fate may be too firmly tied to mysticism. Still I hope I'm making my point here? I trying to offer the statement under the premise that fate, if it exists, operates as a motivated mechanism so no, walking away would not suit my own understanding of fates role.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#26 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

Don't touch anything, head to the pub and deny ever being near there. Any situation set up as idiotically as you describe - ie not even the most basic notion of WH&S - isn't going to have cameras.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

What does it mean got you if you save five people, but spend fifteen years in prison for manslaughter?

Saving five lives has no real upside to it beyond gratitude and perhaps positive publicity. Creating a situation in which a person definitely died because of a direct action of yours opens you up to lawsuits and prison.

The correct thing to do is to yell, scream and run towards the vehicle while letting the five die. You did your bmreasonable best to save them and you'll walk away with a penalty only of horrible memories.

That's a better outcome than the ones you guys are talking about.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

It really isn't about beating the situation. It's simply about making a choice that's right to you.

I agree this setup is highly unlikely. If it ever happened it would most likely be setup up that exact particular way by a sociopathic third party, kinda like Jigsaw in the Saw movies.

I think it is quite a valid point you both make @Amphibious, Sombra.

Observation would definitely colour your choice. If it's the screen situation I mentioned above then it has been observed and you wouldn't want to incriminate yourself. If unobserved and such a freak situation as this occurred naturally without anyone present... I'd be honest, I really would consider flipping the switch. With no one but myself to blame I'd have saved five lives and murdered one. I see this as a positive.

Is this a decision every soldier in the field makes with the exception that there is a friend or foe status attached?

This post has been edited by Dolmen Lamora: 23 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

#29 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

The thing with killing a nurse to save five patients, though. While that is very practical in the short term, given the potential value of the nurse for all future patients she would treat...dunno. Would depend on the patients.

I like what Fate/Zero (an anime) did with the philosophy of "save the many over the few".

Scenario: Five hundred and one people are the last survivors of the human race, stranded on two ships. Three hundred on one ship. Two hundred on another. Total, five hundred passengers and crew, plus you. Large holes have appeared in the bottom of both ships. You alone have the ability to repair a ship. Only time to repair one ship. No lifeboats, both ships are at absolutely maximum capacity.

Which do you repair?

Pragmatically speaking, the obvious answer (saves more lives; given all passengers on both ships are of equal moral value, equal skills, equal everything) is to repair the ship with three hundred people.

Now: You are captured by the people on the ship with two hundred. They demand that you repair their ship.

To the highly competent and extremely pragmatic protagonist of this particular show, killing two hundred unarmed civilians is both the easy way out of this, and the correct choice. He's killing two hundred to save three hundred. Simple, yes?

Then: the surviving three hundred split between two new ships. Two hundred on one, one hundred on the other. However, holes have appeared on both ships again. Once more, you are captured by the one hundred on the smaller ship, and they demand that you repair their ship first (clearly, they must either be stupid, or unaware of what happened to the last group who tried that, but OK). Logic once again dictates that you must kill the one hundred people to save the two hundred on the other ship.

The problem, obviously, is that now there are three hundred dead and only two hundred alive. It's a scenario that can repeat forever; two hundred becomes 50 and 150, kill the 50. 150 becomes 100 and 50. And so on. Eventually you've killed vastly more people than either original choice. But you don't really need to take it that far.

The point is: simple mathematical weighing of X lives against X-Y lives in any given situation doesn't necessarily work out in saving more people, it doesn't mean less die or are killed. It's an extreme, fictional example, but it's easy to apply to, say, two camps of survivors from a plane wreck. Or two countries at war with each other. The point is; you can choose the "correct" answer to this equation every time and it can still result in more people dying.

Push the fat guy on the rails and save five people. Great. Net positive outcome. Now do it again. And again. And again. Oops. Now you've killed four people to save five. Once more. Shit. Now you've killed five people for zero gain. What was the point?

As I think someone said earlier; most of these philosophical scenarios are contrived, and only work in the strictly controlled hypothetical environments in which they are created (it's why most philosophies are not widely practiced consistently by any single person; in real life, not only are there too many exceptions, variables, other factors, etc, to account for before one could apply any philosophy, most of them are based on the concept that everyone ELSE also plays by the same rules - being a Consequentialist in real life when everyone else is a Deontologist would get you shunned VERY quickly. Or vice-versa) and that's why most of it is at best a thought excercise, not an actual useful means of weighing moral choices in reality.

But anyway, I thought I'd share that particular contrived scenario because it is an utterly awesome breakdown of how the "weighing the lives of the many over the lives of the few" argument can go horribly, horribly wrong.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#30 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostSilencer, on 23 August 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

The thing with killing a nurse to save five patients, though. While that is very practical in the short term, given the potential value of the nurse for all future patients she would treat...dunno. Would depend on the patients.

Judging people by their potential value has pretty dark undertones, though. It opens a pandora box - people with better jobs/higher on the totem pole could get away with more.

I like what Fate/Zero (an anime) did with the philosophy of "save the many over the few".

Emiya gets points for sticking to his ideology till the end. That Lancer scene, though... almost made me flip a table. Team Lancer here, because sometimes the greater good is not worth it.

#31 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostSecond Sword, on 23 August 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 23 August 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Judging people by their potential value has pretty dark undertones, though. It opens a pandora box - people with better jobs/higher on the totem pole could get away with more.

Emiya gets points for sticking to his ideology till the end. That Lancer scene, though... almost made me flip a table. Team Lancer here, because sometimes the greater good is not worth it.

RE: Future value - I agree, however five retired, 90-somethings with a variety of other medical issues are probably not going to lead to more lives in the long run, while the nurse has a rather high probability of doing so. It's just one of those complicating factors in real life that makes any hard-and-fast philosophy rather difficult to reconcile. You simply can't *know* what every person's future potential is, or even what it's likely to be (case in point; nurse could get hit by a bus the next day, or quit because those five died) so theoretically that should not come into the process at all. However, then you're left with a simple numbers game again, and that has its own inherent problems.
The question of "when is it okay to take a life, to save a life(/lives)" is ridiculously complicated. It's why a lot of people seem to fall back on the "never" answer, to which I thoroughly disagree. Case in point; I see nothing wrong with shooting a man who is shooting many innocent civilians to make him stop, provided it is impractical to subdue him non-lethally (where "impractical" is defined as; more than one or two more civilians will die while we mess around trying to preserve the shooter's life). But that's a pretty easy exception to get behind. "Like for like" cases (i.e. innocent rail worker vs innocent victims tied to tracks) are much harder to resolve without falling back on simply weighing the number of lives.

As for Lancer...I was quite shocked. I loved the brutal pragmatism of that scene, and I must admit that my mind was going "specific words! Emiya will find a way around this!" the whole time, but I was still surprised they went there. It was...almost poetically detached, really, the way it played out. Horrifyingly pragmatic and kind of sick, but still really awesome. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#32 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostSilencer, on 23 August 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

However, then you're left with a simple numbers game again, and that has its own inherent problems.

It does. Taking the optimal choice forces an innocent human being to pay the price of YOUR decision. IMHO, anybody can sacrifice himself if he wants to, but to sacrifice others is to cross the line.

That scene in Fate was great, because it illustrates how brutal enforcing greater good can be in practice. What he did made perfect sense, but the consequences (while not really affecting anybody physically) were... repulsing. It's one thing to hurt a man, even worse to kill him. But to take away from him everything he values and then crush him even more... Emiya was saving humans at the cost of killing humanity. Which, of course, raises another question: how far are we willing to go to save the greatest number of people? Wouldn't reducing people's free will and therfore capacity to hurt and kill each other be the 'greatest good' option? If so, I can already see the TV commercials: 'Lobotomize yourself for the good of humanity!' :)

#33 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostSecond Sword, on 23 August 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

However, then you're left with a simple numbers game again, and that has its own inherent problems.

It does. Taking the optimal choice forces an innocent human being to pay the price of YOUR decision. IMHO, anybody can sacrifice himself if he wants to, but to sacrifice others is to cross the line.

That scene in Fate was great, because it illustrates how brutal enforcing greater good can be in practice. What he did made perfect sense, but the consequences (while not really affecting anybody physically) were... repulsing. It's one thing to hurt a man, even worse to kill him. But to take away from him everything he values and then crush him even more... Emiya was saving humans at the cost of killing humanity. Which, of course, raises another question: how far are we willing to go to save the greatest number of people? Wouldn't reducing people's free will and therfore capacity to hurt and kill each other be the 'greatest good' option? If so, I can already see the TV commercials: 'Lobotomize yourself for the good of humanity!' :)

We're getting out of Fate/Zero territory here and into Equilibrium territory. :)

Though I'd have to throw this in just for argument's sake - both Emiya, and Archibald were voluntarily, no, deliberately, participating in what amounted to a free-for-all deathmatch. There were no rules of note regarding conduct during that conflict. Both essentially signed up for a cage fight organised in a back alley. One party might have held some rather blinkered and limiting notions about *how* that cage match should be conducted, but that was essentially self-delusion on his part. The only other person with even a fragment of that kind of romanticism about the situation was Tohsaka - and even he was comparatively pragmatic about things.

While it doesn't really change the essence of what Emiya was doing (especially from Lancer's perspective), I find the person-to-person conflict there to be rather one-sided. The difference where it comes to the effect on Lancer, rather than Archibald, is perhaps that Lancer's problem was more of a Values Dissonance. He was in it for completely different reasons to 90% of the Servants and Masters. So while Emiya was incidentally horrifically cruel to Lancer, that was not particularly deliberate - he had no reason to think of it in those terms as Lancer's motivations were essentially impossible to exist in that tournament, and wholly alien to Emiya's worldview. He was far more deliberate in what he was doing to Archibald, but then that guy basically signed up for it.

Point being; if the absolute despair that he put Lancer through was, if not outright unintentional, but at least an unexpected byproduct of his actions, does that change the moral value of those actions?

(Bearing in mind that, technically, Lancer was a spirit, not a "person"/"human" in the common sense any more, but that's a separate direction to argue, imo...)

Shinrei said:

#34 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Also; apologies to anyone if this is going over your head because you don't know the series in question. I suggest watching it, it's awesome. But I'll try and keep it more OT for everyone to comment on...

View PostSecond Sword, on 23 August 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Ah, but, in most of the constructed scenarios above, choosing inaction is a choice with the same consequences - those people might be in more immediate danger not of your making, but nonetheless you have the capability to prevent their deaths and you are actively choosing not to do so. It's a well-documented debate on whether inaction is a choice in the same sense as choosing to take an action but, fundamentally, I think it's kind of silly to distinguish the two in anything except scale. I.e. inaction might *reduce* your personal culpability, but it shouldn't eliminate it. Mainly because to do so would imply that no-one EVER has any obligation to do anything (regardless of it being a life/death decision or something more mundane) to prevent harm. Not sharing important information should make you at least somewhat as culpable as sharing the wrong information, for example. At least, imo.

Shinrei said:

#35 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Re: Fate. They were participating in a deathmach, true, but the consequences of that would or at least could influence all of humanity, especially in Emiya's case. So they are essentially a group of uber-powerful people that gather in order to 'discuss' the fate of the world (comparison to the illuminati totally intended)... who gives them the right? Why, they take it themselves...

If Emiya cannot or will not understand what is the most important for one other individual (let's assume for the sake of the argument that Lancer is human) then what gives him the idea that he knows what's best for 6 billion other people? His arrogance, I assume.

View PostSilencer, on 23 August 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

those people might be in more immediate danger not of your making, but nonetheless you have the capability to prevent their deaths

Yes. Not of your making is the key issue here IMHO. You did not put those 5 there, but you will be the one 100% responsible for that man's death. The fine point I'm trying to make here is that it is not only about saving/killing. It's about sacrificing an unaware, innocent human because you judged him an acceptable loss. So what if he is? Still doesn't give you the right to decide his fate for him. (i.e. pulling an 'Emiya' :) )

#36 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostSecond Sword, on 23 August 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

Re: Fate. They were participating in a deathmach, true, but the consequences of that would or at least could influence all of humanity, especially in Emiya's case. So they are essentially a group of uber-powerful people that gather in order to 'discuss' the fate of the world (comparison to the illuminati totally intended)... who gives them the right? Why, they take it themselves...

If Emiya cannot or will not understand what is the most important for one other individual (let's assume for the sake of the argument that Lancer is human) then what gives him the idea that he knows what's best for 6 billion other people? His arrogance, I assume.

Emiya could be accused of arrogance but I'm not entirely sure that's fair, considering his backstory. Naivete is perhaps a better word for his primary flaw. He didn't know any better. And technically, his wish was going to be something along the lines of "a world where people don't have to die horribly" - it's just that the Grail kinda...well...you know. XD
That being said, I completely agree that the Grail Wars as a whole are a monument to arrogance, and that it requires a certain amount of arrogance to even think to try and participate, for any reason.

I take your point regarding his disregard for Lancer's opinion but bear in mind that Lancer just wanting to have a proper chivalrous duel with Saber is categorically antithetical to everyone's understanding of how the Heroic Spirits are chosen - by definition, Lancer needed the Grail, wanted the Grail, and it should have been his top priority. Clearly, everyone was wrong. But to lay that purely at Emiya's feet is disingenuous, I feel, as he really had no reason to think otherwise - any evidence to the contrary in Lancer's actions could easily be dismissed as a ruse, after all, given that otherwise it would contradict his fundamental reason for existing in that tournament! >.<

And that's where Emiya is a tragic character, basically. He has his fatal flaw, and that's basically what the Grail shows him. He sees everything through a faulty moral compass. His belief in the simple weighing of more lives vs less lives and his desire to find a better way to resolve that than the death of the few is what drives him to kill ever more people. He's scarily pragmatic (as you might expect, again, given his backstory) and therefore the question of sacrificing every other competitor's wishes has to be put aside (iirc, there was a point where he, or was it Irisviel, contemplates the fact that to win the Grail War he has to wipe out six other wishes - so he's clearly aware of what he's doing) but basically he honestly considers himself to be doing it for the greater good. Arrogant, to be sure, but it's an arrogance born of naivete, and his rather horrifying life experiences. *shrug*

...to be fair, the only person whose wish we know in the Grail War that anyone could really probably get behind was Kariya Matous' one. Everyone else's either fell into the "horrifically self-obsessed" or "arrogantly world-shattering consequences" fields. And, well...yeah.

View PostSilencer, on 23 August 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

those people might be in more immediate danger not of your making, but nonetheless you have the capability to prevent their deaths

Yes. Not of your making is the key issue here IMHO. You did not put those 5 there, but you will be the one 100% responsible for that man's death. The fine point I'm trying to make here is that it is not only about saving/killing. It's about sacrificing an unaware, innocent human because you judged him an acceptable loss. So what if he is? Still doesn't give you the right to decide his fate for him. (i.e. pulling an 'Emiya' :) )

Hmmm. I see your point. But. And it's a fairly large 'but'; what is the math 100% responsible for taking the other man's life? If the other five were not placed in a situation where you had to make that call in the first place, what bearing on this man's life would you have had? None. So while you are 100% responsible for the final decision on which people get to die (and I believe that holds either way - again, I think inaction is a choice here that is almost equivalent to swapping the tracks), you are 0% responsible for the setup leading to that decision. Whoever set up five people to die on the tracks is just as responsible for the one person's death as they would have been for the five - and they in the end bear the primary responsibility for all deaths that occur, either way. All you did was reduce the number of lives lost. By not acting, you also bear responsibility for deciding the 'fate' of the five, imo. In either case, it's not as much responsibility as if you were choosing whether to personally shoot either set of people for your own reasons, because you would (presumably) rather not have any lives lost in this situation, and would not have set it up, with or without service man on secondary tracks.

Shinrei said:

#37 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

I reject the sheer idea of somebody playing god with humanity's fate at stake. Dumb animals that we are, at least we have the possibility of making our own choices and face the consequences. Anybody who tries to change 6 billion lives according to his own wish is arrogant, wheather he does it with good or bad intentions.

Fate/Zero spoiler
Spoiler

View PostSilencer, on 23 August 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Whoever set up five people to die on the tracks is just as responsible for the one person's death as they would have been for the five - and they in the end bear the primary responsibility for all deaths that occur, either way.

Agreed. However, I don't know anything about the 5 people's involvement. But at least up to the point of impact (:)) they had their chance. The dude doing his job? He has no chance and no choice because he isn't even aware that his life is being toyed with. And I find this tragic.

#38 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

But what if the train is actually made of walnut cake and the single person on the other track is lethally allergic and the switch actually opens a trap door beneath you into a prison cell for attempted murder
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#39 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

Why are these ships getting holes put in them so damn often?

This is reaching Kate gets kidnapped on Lost levels of ridiculousness.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

The smoke monster did it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users