• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DRAGNIPUR/DRACONUS/RAKE

#1 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Does anyone have a guess time line wise as to whether we will see the forging of dragnipur and the battle between rake and DraCe in this book or even in this seperate part of the trilogy. I know nothing is known for sure, but anyone with more knowledge have an educated guess on the matter?

#2 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

In MoI it was said that Draconus was fashioning a sword (Dragnipur) after the Fall when Kallor destroyed his empire. Either that will be ret-conned or shoe-horned into the Khark Trilogy, to make the sequence fit, or it won't be in there at all. It may even be written in a way that completely makes sense and jives with the MoI stuff.

I guess it's tough to tell, since the timeline doesn't matter. Wish there was a better answer but we really won't know until at least next year...
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

In one of... was it Esslemont's prologues? We see Draconus hunting Osserc with an unfinished Dragnipur during the Elder Times. Meaning that even after the Civil War and the Sundering, Dragnipur was still not much more than a dark void with chains inside it.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

I think there's gonna be a huge chunk of time post-trilogy and pre-MBOTF that we're just gonna have to fill in the gap with what we can piece together. So my answer is basically "No."
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

View PostApt Hoc, on 21 August 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

In one of... was it Esslemont's prologues? We see Draconus hunting Osserc with an unfinished Dragnipur during the Elder Times. Meaning that even after the Civil War and the Sundering, Dragnipur was still not much more than a dark void with chains inside it.

Spoiler for RotCG prologue

Looked that up. That was the RotCG prologue. It was really weird. To start with Osserc had tusks. Like jaghut tusks. In no other description of Andii, Liosan or edur are tusks mentioned or emphasised but suddenly he has tusks.. Also he was assaulting an Azath house. There was another chap caled Denuth who was speculating that he was trying to be part of the ALL and then along comes Draconus with a void of night in his belt from which you can hear the sound of chains and he says that his strategy is better.

What does the ALL mean? Mother Dark? Why was Osserc attacking an Azath? Is this the Azath where Ruin and one of the three sisters was trapped? Frankly I found the entire thing more confusing than revelatory.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:04 AM

Osserc has become an Elder God at one point. Worshippers give their gods shape. Somebody, maybe the dogrunners, probably envision Osserc as a tusked god.

As for the Azath, according to Osserc, he just wanted to know what happens when you fuck up an Azath.

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

Osserc is weird.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yes. Yes he is.

When we met him in HoC he seemed very sombre, very god like. Maybe because we were seeing him through the eyes of his son, maybe because we saw him as a kind of mirror antagonist to Rake, but the god we met seemed like an authority.

Then we meet Esslemonts Osserc/Osric/Liossercal and he seems much more chaotic. Unreadable. Young. The Osserc that we see in Blood and Bone seems unsure and impatient. Like a freshly minted Ascendant, not the half a million year old Elder God that he is.

Esslemonts Osserc is weird.

And I kind of like that.

#9 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

I just really want to see drac v rake play out on paper. I feel like that would be the best fight we have or could see in the series. I hate not knowing how the fight played out.

#10 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostApt Hoc, on 22 August 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Yes. Yes he is.

When we met him in HoC he seemed very sombre, very god like. Maybe because we were seeing him through the eyes of his son, maybe because we saw him as a kind of mirror antagonist to Rake, but the god we met seemed like an authority.

Then we meet Esslemonts Osserc/Osric/Liossercal and he seems much more chaotic. Unreadable. Young. The Osserc that we see in Blood and Bone seems unsure and impatient. Like a freshly minted Ascendant, not the half a million year old Elder God that he is.

Esslemonts Osserc is weird.

And I kind of like that.

And then there is Mr. Unstable Osserc from Kharkanas

#11 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

View Posttheocean, on 22 August 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

I just really want to see drac v rake play out on paper. I feel like that would be the best fight we have or could see in the series. I hate not knowing how the fight played out.

The impression I have got of Draconus so far, and this is keeping in mind that we have not actually seen Draconus fight on screen, is that he has megajoules of power topped off with a burning temper. That temper may have been tamed a bit within Dragnipur, but he is fundamentally a bit of a hothead. On the other hand can you imagine Anomander Rake losing his cool over anything and doing something stupid? I imagine that figt as Draconus came roaring in and Rake tripped him up with some intricate plan of his. I mean how else does Draconus end up in Dragnipur?

The other solution is Draconus tripped, fell and stabbed himself, whcih somehow I cant see him doing.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 August 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

The impression I have got of Draconus so far, and this is keeping in mind that we have not actually seen Draconus fight on screen, is that he has megajoules of power topped off with a burning temper. That temper may have been tamed a bit within Dragnipur, but he is fundamentally a bit of a hothead. On the other hand can you imagine Anomander Rake losing his cool over anything and doing something stupid? I imagine that figt as Draconus came roaring in and Rake tripped him up with some intricate plan of his. I mean how else does Draconus end up in Dragnipur?

The other solution is Draconus tripped, fell and stabbed himself, whcih somehow I cant see him doing.

Of course things may change in the flip, but MoI suggested Envy played a part in it, including betraying Drac somehow.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 August 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Of course things may change in the flip, but MoI suggested Envy played a part in it, including betraying Drac somehow.

Is that why she totally freaks out in OST when Draconus lets her know he is back in the game?

#14 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

I dont see Drac in that way really. I think he was pretty measured in FOD. He couldve gone apeshit a few times and seemed to basically keep his cool. I mean it seems with someone of his power he couldve dominated whoever he wanted to in FOD and he seemed to chose not too. Rake on the other hand I think back then seems like someone who couldve raged. Malazan Era Rake not much but i think he sort of learned that restraint. Thats my perception at least. I wonder if Envy just strolled in and strolled out with Drag and just handed it to rake for safe keeping then drac comes looking for it.

#15 User is offline   Rehvenge 

• Recruit

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Didn't Rake said to her that her help was simply that she stayed out of it, and she admited it was true but still counted as a betrayal?

#16 User is offline   The Old Guard 

• Recruit

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

View PostRehvenge, on 22 August 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

Didn't Rake said to her that her help was simply that she stayed out of it, and she admited it was true but still counted as a betrayal?

Well, if I remember correctly, that's the case. But if so then what of Spite? What was she doing at the time? From what we've seen now the three sisters were so tight as kids that even Death wasn't enough to part them :).

#17 User is offline   prq 

• The unofficial Shield Anvil of Treach, The Tiger of Summer

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

Already in FoD, Rake seems to have a desire for a unique sword. We know Grief doesn't end with him as it gets eventually in Andarist's hands (in HoC, iirc). Probably Rake's relationship with Envy brought up those feelings of being Envy-ous of Draconus's sword?

#18 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

View Postprq, on 28 August 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Already in FoD, Rake seems to have a desire for a unique sword. We know Grief doesn't end with him as it gets eventually in Andarist's hands (in HoC, iirc). Probably Rake's relationship with Envy brought up those feelings of being Envy-ous of Draconus's sword?

There's a lot of foreshadowing in FoD about Rake acquiring a sword, but, given the power and nature of Dragnipur, as well as Rake's nature I like to think his acquiring of Dragnipur had more to do with keeping it out of the wrong hands. Plus, Dragnipur just lying around is a pretty big danger. Recall the scene in TtH where he puts down Dragnipur and the rock begins to bleed.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 August 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Is that why she totally freaks out in OST when Draconus lets her know he is back in the game?

Yes. It's also raised in MoI in her chat with Krul, and at the end of TtH.

View Posttheocean, on 22 August 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

I dont see Drac in that way really. I think he was pretty measured in FOD. He couldve gone apeshit a few times and seemed to basically keep his cool. I mean it seems with someone of his power he couldve dominated whoever he wanted to in FOD and he seemed to chose not too. Rake on the other hand I think back then seems like someone who couldve raged. Malazan Era Rake not much but i think he sort of learned that restraint. Thats my perception at least. I wonder if Envy just strolled in and strolled out with Drag and just handed it to rake for safe keeping then drac comes looking for it.

By most references i can remember, by the time Rake and Drac throw down over Dragnipur, Draconus was a fairly horrible person in the 'Elder Gods like blood' sort of sense, but we can't necessarily accept anything we've read as true.

View PostThe Old Guard, on 22 August 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

Well, if I remember correctly, that's the case. But if so then what of Spite? What was she doing at the time? From what we've seen now the three sisters were so tight as kids that even Death wasn't enough to part them

I believe that was stated, also in MoI to Krul but i could be wrong.

As for Spite, we don't know when her split with Envy happened but that's a full answer for why she wasn't there.
It's also possible she was but Drac didn't look to her for help.

Pure guesswork, but i always figured Rake didn't trust anyone else to be carrying around the primal gate to Mommy D and the Andii Elder Warren.

FoD messes with this concept a lot, but at root Mommy D is/was Andii, Rake is Andii and Drac is something else altogether.

View PostAndorion, on 28 August 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

There's a lot of foreshadowing in FoD about Rake acquiring a sword, but, given the power and nature of Dragnipur, as well as Rake's nature I like to think his acquiring of Dragnipur had more to do with keeping it out of the wrong hands. Plus, Dragnipur just lying around is a pretty big danger. Recall the scene in TtH where he puts down Dragnipur and the rock begins to bleed.

Agreed, and the real question is when/how/why Rake concludes that Drac is the wrong hands, and whether Envy had anything to do with that.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 August 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 August 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yes. It's also raised in MoI in her chat with Krul, and at the end of TtH.

View Posttheocean, on 22 August 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

By most references i can remember, by the time Rake and Drac throw down over Dragnipur, Draconus was a fairly horrible person in the 'Elder Gods like blood' sort of sense, but we can't necessarily accept anything we've read as true.

View PostThe Old Guard, on 22 August 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

Well, if I remember correctly, that's the case. But if so then what of Spite? What was she doing at the time? From what we've seen now the three sisters were so tight as kids that even Death wasn't enough to part them

I believe that was stated, also in MoI to Krul but i could be wrong.

As for Spite, we don't know when her split with Envy happened but that's a full answer for why she wasn't there.
It's also possible she was but Drac didn't look to her for help.

Pure guesswork, but i always figured Rake didn't trust anyone else to be carrying around the primal gate to Mommy D and the Andii Elder Warren.

FoD messes with this concept a lot, but at root Mommy D is/was Andii, Rake is Andii and Drac is something else altogether.

View PostAndorion, on 28 August 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Agreed, and the real question is when/how/why Rake concludes that Drac is the wrong hands, and whether Envy had anything to do with that.

Off-the-top-of-my-head hypothesis: The civil war in Kharkanas turns really nasty, Thousands are killed, stuff is destroyed. Chaotic Eleint magic is unleashed, the Draconic Soletaken emerge, Draconus gets increasingly embittered/desperate as the Tiste are his people as in he among the Azathenai take care of them, manage their affairs. Mother Dark probably estranges herself from him too. He starts to lose it and wields Dragnipur randomly and regularly. Maybe he takes entire armies into Dragnipur, or people really close to Rake or both. Rake decides that such a force constitutes a threat to the Tiste on a fundamental level and hatches a plot with Envy to acquire it. After that, Draconus and Rake clash, Rake wins, etc etc.

Total guesswork,

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users