• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing plane Flight 370

#21 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Does the value of finding the black box sill out way the cost of searching for it? What are they hoping to learn?

Then again if they are using military subs I suppose they get paid to do nothing otherwise.

#22 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostCause, on 22 April 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

Does the value of finding the black box sill out way the cost of searching for it? What are they hoping to learn?

Then again if they are using military subs I suppose they get paid to do nothing otherwise.

I think it is. The airline industry (like any industry) learns a great deal from this type of event. Their practices and pilot training involve a lot of failure analysis and use that information to help pilots better cope with challenging situations.

The airplane went dark (communications-wise), veered way off course and crashed in a part of the ocean it had no business being over. Just thinking about the possible investigation outcomes if they can recover the wreck:

-1- Intentional act by the pilots: leads to refined security screening for pilots, and improved training practices.
-2- Equipment failure: we learn what likely failed and can use that info to improve the safety of aircraft currently using that faulty component.
-3- Hijacking by a passenger: we learn how they might have bypassed security, what they did to commandeer the plane and where they might have been headed - possibly uncover new terrorist operations

Those are the 3 that spring to mind related to the root cause anyway. Investigations of airline crashes are very thorough and a lot of information is gleaned, even from aspects of the crash that had nothing to do with the root cause, like whether an aircraft stays intact in the event of a water landing. Was the aircraft capable of an unpowered glide and semi-controlled landing? What were the aggravating factors and how did the equipment/pilots respond to that?

Considering the cost of obtaining that information usually involves loss of human life, and having it means fewer human lives lost, I think most folks would say that the search is worthwhile -- even if not on a dollar-for-dollar basis.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#23 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:51 AM

View PostBriar King, on 30 July 2015 - 12:16 AM, said:

Part of a wing was found today on an island east of Madagascar. No official confirmation on if it's from MH370 but I really hope it is. This is the biggest air mystery in history so it would be nice to see something.

Madagascar? Thats a long way out of its course.

#24 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostBriar King, on 31 July 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

I find it amazing that the families are still in denial and think this plane is in hangar with them as hostages after this long.

I'd guess they believe that way because it brings them comfort. Still, I'd rather a painful truth than a beautiful lie.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users