• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Russia Politics and War in Ukraine Thread

#581 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2022 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, the deal with China stretches the US capabilities to stand against aggression from either. Russia recognising Taiwan as part of China almost hints at action on that front in the near future. Probably more likely if there is a strong US or NATO reaction in Ukraine.

From what I was reading today, the timing is also due to Putin's approval ratings. He's down around 42% and after the Crimean invasion his approval ratings went up 25 points.

#582 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 February 2022 - 01:54 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 February 2022 - 11:13 PM, said:

I don't understand much about Russia and Eastern Europe. Or geo politics for that matter. I'm too cosy on the Western side of the continent and too British so feel like things happening elsewhere won't touch me. Why is this happening now? Surely Putin has been wanting this for a long time. What's special about now?

Gas prices spiking, and the EU committing to Green energy means it's desperately reliant on gas for its transition period. And Russia has the cheapest gas through its pipes.

Plus the general trend towards right-wing politcs in the EU, that were supposedly undermining Western ability to make collective reactions. That last part kinda worked?

Basically, the conditions were just too good to pass up, so they decided to escalate and see how far they can push the West.

Relatively speaking, this is still fairly light. Until the Russians decided to cross the frontlines.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#583 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 22 February 2022 - 03:31 AM

View PostMentalist, on 22 February 2022 - 01:54 AM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 February 2022 - 11:13 PM, said:

I don't understand much about Russia and Eastern Europe. Or geo politics for that matter. I'm too cosy on the Western side of the continent and too British so feel like things happening elsewhere won't touch me. Why is this happening now? Surely Putin has been wanting this for a long time. What's special about now?

Gas prices spiking, and the EU committing to Green energy means it's desperately reliant on gas for its transition period. And Russia has the cheapest gas through its pipes.

And Russia has the cheapest gas in part due to Russian involvement in Syria assuring Assad remained in power, quashing Qatari plans/hopes for a pipeline to Europe. That success was another item that probably emboldened Putin, and had it gone differently might have deterred him from further action. (Note, Russian forces were going to defeat the rebels, but there was some question whether Assad would be allowed to remain in power.)

#584 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 February 2022 - 09:51 AM

Looks like it's started. Bloody hell. Hope you'll be okay, Ment.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#585 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 February 2022 - 12:18 PM

Ment is in Canada, but he has family in Ukraine.

I hope Putin blinks first, or is satisfied with what he has apparently achieved. This situation is like a poster child for Unnecessary War.

Then I hope the USA, Europe etc get together and grow some balls, and take the required steps to sever our/their dependency on Russian gas and Chinese cheap manufactured goods. That will hurt them more than anything.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 February 2022 - 12:20 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#586 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 February 2022 - 02:54 PM

Germany won't certify Nord Stream 2. That's a start.

Medvedev is already threatening price hikes.

The Duma ratified the Friendship & Cooperation treaties with the 2 puppets, and apparently, their recognized borders are the administrative borders of the 2 oblasts (the occupied territory makes up roughly 1/3 of the total territory they are claiming)
Which suggests they will make an attempt to push Ukrainian Armed Forces out sometime soon. Not like the troops on Ukraine's northern borders have gone anywhere.

#587 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 February 2022 - 09:44 PM

Trump: 'we could use that on our southern border'; also claims Putin is justified because the election was 'rigged' and 'a man who shouldn't be there' is in office....

Perhaps by 'southern border' he means Florida?...

Posted Image

https://thehill.com/...regions-this-is

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 February 2022 - 09:44 PM

#588 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 February 2022 - 10:58 PM

Vlad must still have those golden shower videos.

Speaking of Vlad, I was just flipping channels and went on to SBS (Oz multicultural channel) and the French News was on.
Didn't understand a word of course, aside from "fromage", "céder" and "mes enfants ont besoin de vin" ( ;) ), but the ticker down the bottom had "Vladimir Poutine". Isn't that some sort of chips and gravy in Canada?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 February 2022 - 11:06 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#589 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 23 February 2022 - 02:23 AM

Poutine is chips, gravy and cheese curds. Not that big on the West Coast, but supposedly popular in Quebec.

#590 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 February 2022 - 09:15 AM

Probably because 'putin' in French is an expletive (damn or fuck). So they probably didnt want to use it in the subtitles and went phonetic.

Or you had AI generated subs on, of course.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 23 February 2022 - 09:15 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#591 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 February 2022 - 02:56 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 23 February 2022 - 02:23 AM, said:

Poutine is chips, gravy and cheese curds. Not that big on the West Coast, but supposedly popular in Quebec.

Ontario as well.

One of the best things to have come from QC, to be honest.

Ukraine calling up reservists and declaring state of emergency. First round of sanctions is significant, but not gonna cause immediate harm to Russia. Some really major stuff like export bans of semiconductors/microchips is on the cards if they decide to push further, but for now, everyone's waiting to see if they back off or double down.

#592 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 February 2022 - 07:04 PM

He wont back down.

What did we learn from Crimea in '14

fuck all it seems.

#593 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 February 2022 - 04:34 AM

'Reports of explosions throughout Ukraine followed the address, including in the capital of Kyiv. [...]

[...] Putin stated: “I have declared a special military operation” for the “demilitarization and de-Nazification of Ukraine.”

“This is the red line that I have spoken of many times,” he continued, apparently wearing the same red tie [...] “They have crossed it.”

[...] warned foreign powers not to interfere in his operation: “If you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history. All relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me.”'

https://www.politico...kraine-00011238

#594 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 24 February 2022 - 05:53 AM

This is a terrifying, full-scale invasion. It seems like Putin intends to occupy the entire country.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#595 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 24 February 2022 - 07:26 AM

I have this growing fear, and today's events just further cements it, that the west will have to break Russia and Putin.

It's a scary thought.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#596 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 February 2022 - 07:30 AM

When dictators with nukes decide to go rogue, what can you do?

Serious question.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 24 February 2022 - 07:31 AM

#597 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 February 2022 - 08:46 AM

Time to activate delta squad action team 6

Take him and his cronies out

Serious suggestion

#598 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 February 2022 - 09:30 AM

Yeah I don't think anyone will be able to get within miles of him now.
You'd need a stealth cruise missile strike, and good luck with that. Or maybe a space-based laser ...

"Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba lists Ukraine‘s five demands to the world:

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has called on the world to immediately respond to Russia’s invasion of the embattled nation.

On social media, Mr Kuleba shared a pointed message to the world to ignore claims by Russia that the so-called “military operation” is anything other than a war.

He outlined five key demands for world superpowers such as the US and UK, who have spent recent weeks pledging support for the country currently under Vladimir Putin’s gaze.

“The world must act immediately,” he said in a series of tweets as bombs exploded in Kyiv. “The Future of Europe and the world is at stake.”

He included these points on the world’s to do list:

1. Devastating sanctions on Russia NOW, including SWIFT

2. Fully isolate Russia by all means, in all formats

3. Weapons, equipment for Ukraine

4. Financial assistance

5. Humanitarian assistance"

I don't think any of those are impossible if we all stick to it. No planes or travel in and out of Russia (except via China or DPRK of course :rolleyes: ), no money, no imports or exports. Cripple their infrastructure with cyber warfare. It's doable.

And if Russia accuses us of doing anything - simply deny, deny, deny. Worked for them and Trump, so why not harness that power for good?

#599 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 February 2022 - 12:48 PM

Wifey asked me why Putin was invading Ukraine this morning.

I couldn't find an answer that didn't make me sound like a world weary cynical asshole.

I see this heading towards someone flapping a bit of paper about, proclaiming they have secured peace in our time.

Is Czech '38 all over again, except the prize is much more valuable to Russia than Czech was to Germany

This post has been edited by Macros: 24 February 2022 - 12:48 PM

#600 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 February 2022 - 01:56 PM

Waiting to see if Canada sends troops, at which point my brother in law (who is still active military) will be called to go. Hoping that doesn't happen for the sake of my wife's sister and her three little ones.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 113 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

30 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users