• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kallor - I am missing something?

#21 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

I struggle with the whole notion of Kallor working for anyone, let alone the crippled god. Everything I've read about him tells me he has his own agenda, and seeks above all a throne. As for the events specific here with Ereko...I wonder if that was just ICE making use of an authors ability to create something from nothing. ICE gave him this ability to use a warren out of convenience for his story, whereas in most all of SE's books Kallor is wandering the landscape, in some cases with certain time restraints, with seemingly no access to a warren, which would have made things far easier had he simply used one. Sometimes I think we search for deeper significance or meaning in something that might just be, "this would be a good time for Kallor to show up out of the blue."

This post has been edited by Tru: 23 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

I'm afraid the connection is actually rather explicitly made in MOI. You can think that Kallor considers himself an ally rather than an employee, if that suits his temperament more though.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:13 AM

View PostTru, on 23 May 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

I struggle with the whole notion of Kallor working for anyone, let alone the crippled god. Everything I've read about him tells me he has his own agenda, and seeks above all a throne. As for the events specific here with Ereko...I wonder if that was just ICE making use of an authors ability to create something from nothing. ICE gave him this ability to use a warren out of convenience for his story, whereas in most all of SE's books Kallor is wandering the landscape, in some cases with certain time restraints, with seemingly no access to a warren, which would have made things far easier had he simply used one. Sometimes I think we search for deeper significance or meaning in something that might just be, "this would be a good time for Kallor to show up out of the blue."

Wasn't the warren Kallor vanished into the Crippled Gods? I believe the same thng happened in MoI/ Kallor gets access to it as perks fo rbeing part of the HoC.

#24 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

I'm afraid the connection is actually rather explicitly made in MOI. You can think that Kallor considers himself an ally rather than an employee, if that suits his temperament more though.

When I read MoI and RotCG I had a very hard time understanding Kallor's motivations for the things he did. Chalked it all up to past baggage that the author didn't wish to elaborate on at the time, but ThH seemed to clarify things for me about Kallor, his motivations, and what he thought of various other persons/entities, including the Crippled God. I'm trying to be vague here because of spoiler issues of course, but I gathered that, as usual, Kallor had his own agenda, and any alliance at all, with anyone, was out of mere convenience for the time being, in so far as it did not interfere with his personal ambitions. Actually, now that I read what I just typed, it seems i just summed up pretty much any and all alliances between anyone in the series.

#25 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:56 AM

Just in regards to Kallor and magic, if he doesn't have access to any magic, do we know how he was able to destroy a whole continent? And how could he curse three elder gods?
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:40 AM

It's assumed that he used science to do it. Probably some kind of KCCM tech the empire dug out of the ground.

Keep in mind though, just because Kallor dispises magic, does not mean the Kallorian empire did not have magic and did not use. Could just as well have been his imperial fanatics that did a big ol' ritual.

#27 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostApt, on 08 June 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

It's assumed that he used science to do it. Probably some kind of KCCM tech the empire dug out of the ground.

Keep in mind though, just because Kallor dispises magic, does not mean the Kallorian empire did not have magic and did not use. Could just as well have been his imperial fanatics that did a big ol' ritual.

Ah yes the science thing makes sense. I guess he could have just as easily commanded his mages to destroy the continent. He was pretty much considered a god wasnt he, so they wouldnt have disobeyed.
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#28 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:03 AM

Rebel mages bring down the Crippled God, destroying half the population (but missing Kallor). Kallor uses KCCM tech to take out the rest of the people (and the land itself) in the ultimate "well, you guys asked for it" moment.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

Well, the fall was on Korelri. Kallors purge was on Jacuruku. Or was there splash damage that hit Jacuruku?

#30 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostApt, on 08 June 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

Well, the fall was on Korelri. Kallors purge was on Jacuruku. Or was there splash damage that hit Jacuruku?

I thought the Fall shattered both Korelri and Jakuruku? Maybe they were even attached at that point.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#31 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the events of the "fall." I'm not yet finished with Return of the Crimson Guard so there's plenty to learn from I.C.E's other books. That said, might it be safe to consider something like a nuclear winter contributing to destruction on both continents?

As for Kallor's appearance at the Dolmens could this have been triggered by Eriko's return? His proximity to those columns summoning Kallor in a similar fashion to how breaking one of Quick Ben's acorns summons him?

#32 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:43 AM

Kallor had been planning to kill Eriko for 100,000 odd years, so I assume turning up on that continent or at that particular spot on that continent clued Kallor in on his whereabouts. Seems kinda silly to me.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#33 User is offline   glutton4Bolts 

• Recruit

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

I am pretty sure that Kallor has not use of magic at all and that he needs to ask for the CG to help him whenever magic is needed to save his hide. He made have had the use of magic before the curse of the Ascendants (I think it was Draconus, Nightchill and Krul). The curse may have stripped anything he had along with his ability to Ascend. Therefore, he could have had magic to help him in the utter annihilation of his kingdom.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users