• You cannot reply to this topic

What's up with the Encyclopediamalzica?

#21 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostSilencer, on 26 January 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

For what it's worth, I'm getting in touch with Hetan'a'Mal on this one. The Encyclopedia was their pet project, and last I heard they were still interested in pursuing it. So before we do anything else I'll see what they want to do, if they're still interested.

The problem with the old wiki has always been it's access. Originally it was a location for Mal and I to store research material, hence the use of quotes and pages references, as we wanted the original wording of the text rather than someone's interpretation of the words.
There is unfortunately no way to have open access using the pbwiki software, which has always been an issue, also it's use is a bit clunky to say the least.
I have no problems with anyone wanting to copy/move the information across to another wiki, if that's what you choose to do and can only think it will be improved by replacing the link to the other wiki, which users may find easier to use and access.
It is possible to export the information via pbwiki but I am uncertain how you could import it wholesale into another wiki's software - it might be easier to copy and paste in order to maintain integrity?

Anyways - anyone wants anything doing - you can email me directly.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#22 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Based on what everyone has said, seems to me that maybe the best way forward would be to...

- give Jade_Raven admin status on the pbWiki. She could then get in touch with all the previous contributors, haul in D'rek and and with the help of the team from here and the Wikia wiki gradually transfer info from one to the other. Probably better to do that rather than move everything wholesale because some of the stuff will need editing/integrating in any case.

- replace the main links which direct visitors as soon as possible to avoid confusion and concentrate efforts in one place. We just need to make sure that we retain access points to the pbWiki here (on the wiki board) for anyone who wants to help with the copying.

- put a link somewhere on the home page of the Wikia wiki along the lines of 'sponsored/endorsed/supported by the MalazanEmpire fan community' or something to that effect which would encourage a flow of info/interest both ways.

;)

#23 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Pictures always help.

Attached File  Screenshot from 2014-01-27 00:45:00.png (357.29K)
Number of downloads: 0

Note the change below from a redirect to actual forum.

Attached File  Screenshot from 2014-01-27 00:45:39.png (144.06K)
Number of downloads: 0
I am an Admin at the Malazan Wiki. [ malazan.wikia.com ]

#24 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

View PostEgwene, on 26 January 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

Based on what everyone has said, seems to me that maybe the best way forward would be to...

- give Jade_Raven admin status on the pbWiki. She could then get in touch with all the previous contributors, haul in D'rek and and with the help of the team from here and the Wikia wiki gradually transfer info from one to the other. Probably better to do that rather than move everything wholesale because some of the stuff will need editing/integrating in any case.

I don't really think I need admin rights there, that's more just for granting edit rights isn't it? I already have edit access by the way.
I am an Admin at the Malazan Wiki. [ malazan.wikia.com ]

#25 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thought admin role might give you extra tools to do the job, Jade_Raven. I like your picture illustration :-)

Having the go-ahead from Hetan, I guess it's full steam ahead.

Just want to take the opportunity to thank you for the amount of work you are obviously putting into the Wikia. I think it goes without saying that there are thousands of Malazan fans everywhere who are thrilled to have a fantastic database like that! Wish I had known about it last year when I had a bit more time on my hand to contribute.

Edit: just had another look at the pbWiki - one of the things you may need admin rights for is the front page (at least I don't seem to be able to edit it). It could do with updating to reflect what's going on. Says that Eloth updated it a day or so ago - I am not familiar with who that is and whether he/she is aware of this discussion.

This post has been edited by Egwene: 27 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

#26 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Eloth = Hetan

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#27 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Thanks D'rek. Thought it might be an alias for someone.

#28 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

I'm happy to see the original wikipedia will live on. There really is so much info over there to integrate into the wikia!
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#29 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

OK so consensus seems to be that pbwiki is defunct, and we should move to the wikia version. I will update pbwiki respectively once I get a proper computer. This means we don't need a new admin on pbwiki. I will shift around forums and change links if I get the chance. Someone care to head up the transfer to wikia, jade and maybe someone else? Drek?someone else with time? Would be nice for at least one admin from here to have admin access to wikia in case we get messages if the sites are formally linked as well.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users