Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I do some concurrent reading?

#1 User is offline   aarowill 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

Hey there, I was reading a post recently where someone linked this http://www.tor.com/f...d-of-the-fallen and have been pondering what to do ever since.
I am currently on my first read through of the series and am up to The Bonehunters. But so often an event or character is referred to from previous books that I just can't for the life of me remember. Or the reader is presented more information about a topic that I clearly didn't get my head around the last time it was expanded on since I have no idea why certain characters are suddenly like "OH I GET IT NOW!" and im left wondering what has happened ( I know this happens alot and is RAFO to understand, but I feel im not comprehending the things I should be getting by now).
Anyway thats where that link comes in, I was thinking it might be a good idea to read that concurrently (but starting from Gotm) so that I am being reminded of what happened in the older books and the references are fresher in my mind when they are brought up in The Bonehunters and future books. And also It would give me a second perspective so maybe I can wrap my head around that stuff I'm not quite getting.
I know its a reread thing,but it is also the first read for Amanda (from the link) so Im thinking if i just read the chapter summary and then Amandas spiel, and skip the other guys + the comment section, nothing will be spoiled.

Or maybe thats just a terrible idea and I should just read only the books atm and read the Tor link once i've finished the entire series.

Thoughts?

Btw I am no SE so feel free to grammar nazi this post or ask me to...you know... make sense.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

It's not a bad idea at all actually. The summaries can be pretty funny, and Amanda is a good first-time guide. I agree with your notion of skipping Bill and the comments though, even for books you've read, as they do contain spoilers -- they get better about it after the first few books, but if I was a first time reader I'd still hate even the nudges and winks.

As long as you're good about forming your own opinions, even if Amanda disagrees, then you should be set. And maybe don't start TBH reread until you finish the book, and so on with each book. TBH is actually a pretty big culmination book, so it's actually a good time to start this plan.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

Bill can be awful in terms of spoiling things. But the summaries themselves aren't above blame either. I'd say stay away till you are done with the series.

Here's one horrendous spoiler from GotM chapter 4
http://www.tor.com/b...hapters-4-and-5

Spoiler

I read that as I was starting my first read of DG and felt like an idiot.

#4 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I still occasionally check the encyclopedia when something comes up that I don't remember. When I was on TBH I started listening to GoTM while doing chores/driving. Amazing what you catch on the second time around.
Anyway. What worry said.

#5 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

View Postlastname, on 07 January 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

Bill can be awful in terms of spoiling things. But the summaries themselves aren't above blame either. I'd say stay away till you are done with the series.

Here's one horrendous spoiler from GotM chapter 4
http://www.tor.com/b...hapters-4-and-5

Spoiler

I read that as I was starting my first read of DG and felt like an idiot.

How is this a spoiler? It's an accurate description of what happens in Chapter 4, Scene 1...

Spoiler

I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#6 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

I wouldn't say Bill spoils things but he does do a lot of this "File this away..." stuff that can draw attention to a particular instance in the book that normally you wouldn't have given more weight to otherwise. Whether or not that is a good or bad thing is up to the reader, but I would find it a little too much like hand-holding for my personal tastes. Its like when I watched Star Wars with my kids for the first time I was making a serious effort to just be quiet and let them enjoy it for what it was so they could figure things out on their own.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#7 User is offline   SpanishDancer 

• Recruit

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

Not sure the need the spoiler-tag that, as anyone reading this thread should have already read up to Bonehunters anyway. Regardless though, for me, on the first read of GotM, I picked up that line, and filed it away under a connection between Kellenved's "death", and the rise of some new gods in the pantheon. Even though it was thrown right in my face, I didn't understand what it meant until DH. That's part of the fun of the series though, all the seemingly filler text that winds up having major implications later on. I started concurrent reading of my own (i.e. re-reading GotM) about halfway through MOI, and every book so far has shown a lot of re-read value since you can pick up all the details you missed the first time around.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users