• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recluce reading order

#1 User is offline   firvulag 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hi all, this is my first post on this site :(

I'm thinking of reading the Saga of Recluce novels by L.E. Modesitt Jr. In the past I've read the first two novels and enjoyed them, but that was years ago. Since then Modesitt's published a total of 16 novels in the series with two more planned for next year and at least one more after that. While I enjoyed the books I've read so far I'm not too fussed on the jumping around with regard to the chronology. I've seen plenty of lists on the net for reading the books in a chronological order but I've also read that Modesitt himself strongly recommends reading the books in published order. I was under the impression that the books are pretty much stand alone so wasn't sure what would be the best. Has anyone here read them in chronological vs published order and can recommend one over the other? Unless someone gives really strong reason against chronological I was thinking of going that route just to make things easier for my brain :D

Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'd start with "None", and then go to book "Forget It"

Nah, I'm only teasing.

"Publishing order" was what I was going to do before I stopped reading them.

I'd go with that, as I've never found After-The-Fact prequels and rejigged "chronological" reading order to be beneficial.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

I've read most of them in a random order. Personally I think publishing order works much better than chronological order, a big strength of the books is events from the past referred to in passing, which when you later read the book about the actual, makes them that bit more interesting. Reading chronological takes away the fun of mentally filling in the gaps, and then finding out how wrong you were. Dipping in and out doesn't make much difference though, there are one or two books which are direct sequels which should be read together, but I read most of them in a random order depending on what was in the library at the time, and the books didn't suffer for it.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thirding on published order... for the Recluse series Modesitt does a nice job of referring to events in books he's already written, but his look-forward game isn't as strong.

Also, welcome!

Even if you're not a Malazfan, feel free to poke around and participate.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 November 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Thirding on published order... for the Recluse series Modesitt does a nice job of referring to events in books he's already written, but his look-forward game isn't as strong.

Also, welcome!

Even if you're not a Malazfan, feel free to poke around and participate.

Seconding the notion that the world-building was great and Modisett really did well with the origins. His attempt to build on and "conclude" the story don't quite measure up. Good thing is that the vast majority of the books are actually set before The Magic of Recluce.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

Writing order = reading order.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7 User is offline   firvulag 

• Sergeant

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll be reading them books in published order :(

With response to Abyss, I am a huge fan of the malazan books of the fallen series, finished the Crippled God earlier this year. I tend not to start a series until it's complete since I hate waiting in between books, I only just finished the Codex Alera books this week and loved it; was first time I've read Jim Butcher.

Looking forward to the completion of the Malazan Empire series next year, can't wait to get some more Malazan goodness :D

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

View Postfirvulag, on 29 November 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll be reading them books in published order :(

Our work here is done. Someone load up the horses and aim them at the sunset.

With response to Abyss, I am a huge fan of the malazan books of the fallen series, finished the Crippled God earlier this year. I tend not to start a series until it's complete since I hate waiting in between books

All good

I only just finished the Codex Alera books this week and loved it; was first time I've read Jim Butcher.

Oh boy... okay, firv, listen carefully... do NOT start the DRESDEN FILES.
DO NOT.
Whatever you do, do NOT immediately go get STORM FRONT and FOOL MOON and GRAVE PERIL and start that series.
You have been warned.

Looking forward to the completion of the Malazan Empire series next year, can't wait to get some more Malazan goodness :D

You'll fit in just fine. :D

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 November 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

DO NOT.
Whatever you do, do NOT immediately go get STORM FRONT and FOOL MOON and GRAVE PERIL and start that series.
You have been warned.

By which he of course means that MOST of us are Dresden-crack addicts who not-so-patiently await each new book in Butcher's series with a fervour that can only be described as epic.

He means once you DO embark on the journey that is Dresden...kiss all your free time goodbye, cause you'll be reading constantly.

:(

Welcome to the Pleasuredome!

...wait...that sounded gross.

The Dresden-dome?

The White-Counil-Dome?

Aw hell...sorry, I'll show myself the door.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 November 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 29 November 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

DO NOT.
You have been warned.

By which he of course means that MOST of us are Dresden-crack addicts who not-so-patiently await each new book in Butcher's series with a fervour that can only be described as epic.

He means once you DO embark on the journey that is Dresden...kiss all your free time goodbye, cause you'll be reading constantly.

Until you get to the end of book 14 of wherever we're at. Then you suffer like the rest of us.

Welcome to the Pleasuredome!

...wait...that sounded gross.

The Dresden-dome?

The White-Counil-Dome?

Aw hell...sorry, I'll show myself the door.

The Dresdencrack House is slightly less weird.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users