• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone play World of Warcraft?

#1 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

What do you think of the new expansion coming out? You will be able to start a toon at 90 so you can start on new content right away.

#2 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostStormcat, on 12 November 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

What do you think of the new expansion coming out? You will be able to start a toon at 90 so you can start on new content right away.

I used to play ALOT, during Wrath of the Lich King I actually got Shadowmourne on my Fury Warrior, i really brought the Deeps lol. But you have to spend SO MUCH TIME playing it if you want to get the most out of the content I had to stop playing sadly. great game when your mates all play but as people stop playing the game gets more and more boring cuz you haven't got loads of your mates on vent, trolling people in pvp and doing BGs together! I like the idea of starting at final level so you can enjoy new stuff, but what they might have added to the fin print is that you have to already have a level 90? i have seen these things before, i got a free goblin at 85 i think it was but only cuz I already had a dude at 85. Other problem is that it is almost impossible to do raids unless you have already done them! I actually started the game doing PUGs and eventually I outgeared the other Warriors in my guild who never took me anywhere and got into the best guild on the server and then moved servers started a new guild and got Mourne. Great memories but real life is now in the way of gaming 30 hours per week lol. What is your main by the way? my main was/is orc fury warrior, alt was a druid healer tauren, i also had a rogue, mage and goblin but only because they were free haha. Think i had a level 20 shammy as well somewhere, also free lol

just realised that was a massive post not really to do with your post sorry! ah well, it's good to talk!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#3 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

I was watching blizzcon and from what I understand it's a bring your friends back and you can all start at 90 thing.
I used to be a hardcore raider but like you said life got in the way. The Lich King was my last serious raid. I keep my shaman geared by mostly using the LFR. I use my Hunter for PvP.The new LFR feature makes it so everyone can play all of the content, it's basically a nerfed version of dungeons. The hard version is still there for hardcore raiders.
I am going to use the level 90 feature to finally get a high level horde. :unworthy:
The new expansion is also going to be a bit like the old warcraft. You can create a village and recruit NPCs etc.

This post has been edited by Stormcat: 12 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

#4 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostStormcat, on 12 November 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

I was watching blizzcon and from what I understand it's a bring your friends back and you can all start at 90 thing.
I used to be a hardcore raider but like you said life got in the way. The Lich King was my last serious raid. I keep my shaman geared by mostly using the LFR. I use my Hunter for PvP.The new LFR feature makes it so everyone can play all of the content, it's basically a nerfed version of dungeons. The hard version is still there for hardcore raiders.
I am going to use the level 90 feature to finally get a high level horde. :unworthy:
The new expansion is also going to be a bit like the old warcraft. You can create a village and recruit NPCs etc.

Sounds like they have improved it massively then which is good. I remember it being a nightmare to get into places as a noob, a few times in my last few weeks of gaming people were asking for the achievements on stuff and I was linking shadowmourne, they didn't believe i had it so I ran up to them in Dalaran and turned on tabard of the lightbringer too and was like boo yaa! haha, happy days, took like 4 months get that thing, only to have it replaced by a green drop levelling to 85! :-( sad panda. I played horde cuz my mates did, never tried alliance tbh. i think pvp was the most fun on stuff like battlegrounds when you had a good team of mates playing.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#5 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

I play alliance and PvP on my server horde crushes us most of the time. My husband plays a palidan tank and I do shammy dps/heals so we are pretty good at crushing stuff when we work together.

#6 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostStormcat, on 13 November 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

I play alliance and PvP on my server horde crushes us most of the time. My husband plays a palidan tank and I do shammy dps/heals so we are pretty good at crushing stuff when we work together.

My girlfriend and I have always played as a pair of druids - me Balance/Resto, her Feral/Guardian (back in the day it was just Balance and Feral, dual-spec was a godsend for us!) and we have the same - can crush most things. We tend to pull a lot at once while questing, and would rather die now and again by being totally reckless than playing it safe and boring all the time!
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#7 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

Same here. He pulls everything and I AOE the crap out of them.

#8 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

I've been away for about half a year now. Fucking pandas. SoO taking over a year, longest bloody patch ever. BUT. Warlords of Draenor looks fucking awesome, truth be told. At the very least that cinematic is one of the best pieces of game cinematic I've seen in my entire life (a list that is occupied mostly by Blizzard anyway, best cinematic makers if nothing else):

I might actually play it for a month or three just doing the questlines and building up the garrison. I find it unlikely to ever raid again but I like what I see of the new xpac.
Thoughts?

This post has been edited by Gothos: 29 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#9 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

I have a max level NE Shadow Priest named Fila - I played the last expansion until just before they released the Orgrimar raid - my guild was working on Throne of Thunder at that point, but we could never get past Horridon. We had cleared all the other raids leading up to that though. Back in the days of Wrath, I was a Disco Priest, healing was all kinds of fun back then! But I gave that up because I got sick of being given shit for wipes (healers and tanks always get the blame).

I also have a level 90 Human Affliction Warlock named Sheltatha, and a level 86 Human Ret Paladin named Solielle.

I will likely buy some time when the new expansion comes out - I do enjoy new content, after all - but I just don't have the time or patience to play as much as I used to!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#10 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

I've played on and off since classic. Looking forward to the coming expansion quite a bit, although I'm not the passionate MoP hater that many people seem to be. Disregarding the absurdly long wait time between the latest content and Warlords, I thought Mists was a decent expansion. Cataclysm, on the other hand, is more than deserving of its awful reputation.

I play alliance side, primarily on Wyrmrest Accord. Not the realms matter for much these days, what with CRZ, realm merges, and such.

90 worgen warlock is my main.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#11 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:31 AM

It's approximately a 20gb install. It's not free to play - they've had the subscription model for 10 years, and I don't anticipate them changing it any time soon.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#12 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

There's a trial version of course, but yeah, WoW's keeping with the subscription model and I don't see that changing, not ever (or until Titan comes out). I do think I prefer pay2play than pay2win. And overlooking the Diablo 3 auction house fiasco that they've retreated from, Blizzard has been pretty good on not allowing pay2win in their games, so they've got that going for them, which is nice.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#13 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

I play Alliance mostly. When I got the deluxe version of the last expansion I was able to rocket a toon to 90 so I chose a Tauren Shaman. I have a 90 Shaman, 90 Hunter, 90 Druid all alliance and a 90 horde Shaman. I am working on a shadow priest and a ret pally. I tried to make and play a panda but I just did not care for it.

If anyone plays on Antonidas or I think Uldum you can look me up under Stormcatt, Mooncatt, Symphony, NotApsalar or Henrietta. :rolleyes:

I really like that you can do LFR for raids so you don't have to spend hours trying to get a team together. Obviously its not as good as a good raid team but its nice when you just want to run something. I also enjoy the Timeless Isle. Our guild has a hardcore progression raiding team and a more laid back raiding team. We used to be Dark Prophecy but we merged with Brimstone and now we are Dark Phoenix.

#14 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostStormcat, on 01 September 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

I really like that you can do LFR for raids so you don't have to spend hours trying to get a team together. Obviously its not as good as a good raid team but its nice when you just want to run something. I also enjoy the Timeless Isle. Our guild has a hardcore progression raiding team and a more laid back raiding team. We used to be Dark Prophecy but we merged with Brimstone and now we are Dark Phoenix.

Coming from the "good small raid team" zone from a year or two back (last time, anyway), I can say these things:
1. "Casual" raiders are the worst blight and biggest assholes in the game. Especially if you fall into the guild that's pretty bad at the game but think themselves being the shit.
2. "Hardcore" raiders end up spending less time on everything. They're more efficient, experienced and motivated, and they come prepared. It also ends up being a lot less frustrating than with a so-called "laid back" raid. To illustrate my point: with my "previous" guild that more or less eventually gave way to IRL commitments, we'd do 3 raids a week, with a volountary 4th one some weeks, for several months, and cleared everything eventually. After that we'd just log in once a week to make a full heroic clear until the next patch/expansion. The last guild I was in before more or less quitting the game, they did 2 raids a week with a volountary 3rd on some weeks. After 10 months of SoO they're still there at 8/14 progress and putting in full time.
3. LFR is an absolutely abhorrent experience, especially with the flood of lvl 90 boos people that happened when they added that option. Lots of people in very basic, badly itemized gear with no idea how to play their class... awful. Still, better than not having it. Best thing in the world = flexible raids.

#15 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:08 AM

LOL yeah you have to go into LFR expecting it to be full of complete idiots. But I still enjoy being able to just hop into a raid without any prep.
Our guild's hardcore raiding team is pretty strict so they usually get things done. We run the casual one for people that want to play but are just not cut out for hardcore raiding. Lich King was the last serious raiding that I have done. I just don't have the time to be part of the hardcore team anymore. My work hours are such that I am always working while everyone else is playing.

#16 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

Finally got out. Made the decision to cancel my sub and just stay away from it. Stale content and no friends playing really made the decision easy though i'll admit. It was so much more fun when I was raiding but the groups out there never stay together and asking 10 people to show up every week for a few hours and not screw off and learn nothing from the week before is worse than pulling teeth. I hope others are still finding entertainment from this game, but i've finally had enough of it.
If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#17 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

I quit in like august, was nothing to do.
Am planning to come back for Legion with old buddies tho for the mythic 5mans and the cool stories, bro.

#18 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

No real plans to go back. I just don't have that kind of time on my hands anymore. Starting college soon and I suppose anything could happen but right now no one I know well plays. Now if there were some sort of Malazan group...
If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#19 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

I picked up Draenor a couple months ago with a 2 month subscription, just so I could get through the content before the release of Legion, as Legion is going to the Broken Isles, which was my favourite part of the WC3 storyline, so I've been excited for it since I heard about it. In 2 months, I've maxed out my character, have a 688 item level (which is almost as high as you can get without doing real raids rather than just LFR and/or mythics), and am like 3 or 4 dailies away from having Draenor flying (which is a shit ton of work!) I've even got a second alt up to level 94!

Feels like this game is such a joke now compared to what it used to be (and I joined during Wrath, when it was already starting to be a joke according to those who had been around since Vanilla).

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to Legion. Will buy it just to get the storyline that it comes with.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#20 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

Well, we vanilla players tend to look with at it with several pairs of rose-tinted glasses on. Sure it had some awesome aspects to it (THE FUCKING COMMUNITY, MAN), but a lot of stuff was complete chores. Even worse than now.
Granted, it was still better than WoD.

I've logged back on now as my old friends want to try some challenge modes before the patch, also doing Mining instead of enchanting so I'm not double-crafting anymore for RP reasons.

BONUS: yesterday evening my gf played for 2 straight hours. She's not a gamer so she's having some serious trouble getting around and with movement, but I've been giving her some excercises for getting better at WSAD+mouse. Fun watching her learn tho.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 23 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users