Malazan Empire: Kalam and the Whirlwind Rebellion - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kalam and the Whirlwind Rebellion

#1 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

Is it ever mentioned again that Kalam basically started the whole rebellion in the first place? When he was delivering the Book of the Apocalypse he actually seemed sympathetic to the cause but since then all that seems to have been glossed over especially with with his "vengeance" spiel at the end of HoC.
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#2 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

The rebellion was pretty much already in motion. Kalam notices all the handprints/gang signs around Ehrlitan (or was it G'Danisban? One of the two). Kalam delivered the Book of Dryjhna to Shaik, and it looks like that was a pretty big thing he did, and certainly caused a hell of a lot of trouble. But remember that The Red Blades and Tene Baralta had pretty much set that up so they could follow Kalam to where Shaik's camp and take her out. I'm sure he felt a little guilty about it too, but I think he had more pressing concerns to worry about once the book was delivered.

Even Mebra, sweet ol' Mebra figured it out:

‘Kalam is here for another reason, Commander. He sought only safe passage across the Pan’potsun Odhan. He takes the Book because to do so will ensure that passage. The assassin is heading south. Why? I think that is something the Red Blades – and the Empire – would know. And such knowledge can only be gained while he yet breathes.’
‘You have suspicions.’
‘Aren.’
Tene Baralta snorted. ‘To slip a blade between Pormqual’s ribs? We would all bless that, Mebra.’
‘Kalam cares nothing for the High Fist.’
‘Then what does he seek at Aren?’
‘I can think of only one thing, Commander. A ship bound for Malaz.’ Hunched, his face pulsing with pain, Mebra watched with hooded eyes as his words sank roots into the Red Blade commander’s mind.
After a long moment, Tene Baralta asked in a low voice, ‘What do you plan?’
Although it cost him, Mebra smiled.

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 11 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#3 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Currently involved in firearms, reading and TV series now that my daughter's soccer season is done until spring.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

I agree, Kalam's involvement was a small piece of the puzzle...his responsibility is similar to a pizza delivery man being responsible for my chubby belly...it served his purpose and probably did give him some small satisfaction...

#4 User is offline   miloson24 

• Recruit

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

So the baby walks out in front of the Army while everyone is forming up for inspections or whatever and he has a human bone in his hands, and everyone gets all bent out of shape because they take it as a bad omen that Tavore is a child that is gonna lead them all to their deaths. What I dont understand is how Strings et al null the omen with the finger bones. I think it has something to do with a shaved knuckle in the hole or whatever, but I'm just not smart enough to understand how it made everyone all warm and fuzzy again. Can someone help me understand this more clearly? ;)

This post has been edited by miloson24: 09 June 2015 - 07:01 AM

#5 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

View Postmiloson24, on 17 April 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

So the baby walks out in front of the Army while everyone is forming up for inspections or whatever and he has a human bone in his hands, and everyone gets all bent out of shape because they take it as a bad omen that Tavore is a child that is gonna lead them all to their deaths. What I dont understand is how Strings et al null the omen with the finger bones. I think it has something to do with a shaved knuckle in the hole or whatever, but I'm just not smart enough to understand how it made everyone all warm and fuzzy again. Can someone help me understand this more clearly? ;)

My take on it was that they nullified the bad omen by having everyone wear one as a "good talisman" or a symbol of unity and identity.
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#6 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

View Postmiloson24, on 17 April 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

Had the sergeants done nothing, the rumour mill would have turned the incident into a bad omen of huge proportions. Everyone was already feeling pretty negative and something like that could have totally destroyed what little morale was left.

What the sergeants did instead, was take the bull by it's horns and turn it round. Wearing the bones made every soldier feel as if they had spit that bad omen in the face instead. For many it would feel like an act of courage, making them walk a little taller. The fact that it was done without official sanction from the officers also made it a grass-root movement on top of that, uniting everyone. When Tavore endorses it at the parade, you can just see the common soldiers giving each other a wink as if to say 'this was our idea, see, even the commandant can see how good it is'.

It was one of my favourite scenes in the books. The whole episode of the inspections, from Fid drawing the line (Cuttle's finest hour) to Tavore dressing down Ranal. Priceless!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users