• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NaNoWriMo Twenty-Thirteen I was tired of seeing numbers

#61 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

Gods, now I'm going to end up behind a day or two...need to keep up the pressure on myself.

Because I have to reformat my laptop tonight, and will have to reinstall everything, reducing today's writing time to zilch.

Sigh.

Going well otherwise. Storywise.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#62 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostGrief, on 05 November 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

Honestly I'm impressed with your attitude towards your personal goal, I'm not sure I'd even consider it as realistically possible atm. Best of luck with it.

Today I managed to hit the target word count for the first time, so I'm pretty chuffed on that front. It felt much easier too, my plan is coming together a bit more and it's definitely helped. I feel I may be able to keep this up, getting my head back into the right pacing, to start with I was writing more the way you would a short story. The genre is rather outside my comfort zone, which is keeping it interesting too, if it means I can't fall back on tropes so easily to see where to go next.

Tropes are not too bad as long as they are well used and also used to find new narrative elements.

View PostGrief, on 05 November 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Why not just write the scenes you're interested in writing first, and see if you think up interesting scenes that would link them?

Though there's always going to be a bit of dirty work I suppose.

You might also be able to change it enough to make it interest you more.

This is good advice and it's a strategy I often use.

View PostTrull, on 05 November 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

Thanks Grief, I think I'll take your advice and write the scenes I'm most looking forward to. A bit worried I'll miss out on chances for foreshadowing and such, but at this point anything that helps get rough ideas on the page sounds good to me.

As Grief says you can always go back and fix foreshadowing. As it stands I have far too much exposition going on, but otherwise I'd have nothing, I'll deal with it later.

My mornings and days are not as productive as I'd like I usually find myself crunching out at around 9pm. I really need to fix that.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#63 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

So my body decided to try and help me get started with the NaNo'ing - unfortunately it's ingenious plan of "get sick, then WRITE!" was not as fool-proof or productive as it might have hoped. *sigh*

Going to get started this weekend, and hopefully write like a crazy man! :) Because next week I'm back to the ridiculous grind. My boss even suggested, when I went into work on Wednesday for an hour despite being sick to show another person how to do the job for which I am the backup to the backup (who was sick) to the regular guy (who is on leave), after our manager asked what might have caused it, that "He's overworked! (laughs)". I mean, really? Are you sure that played even the tiniest part in me getting sick? XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#64 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

Well, I was doing fine for the first 4 days. But the last three I haven't been able to write a word. My lady had an asthma attack, so we spent all night in the ER and have been in and out of the doctor. Went without sleep for over a day and a half, was finally able to get some rest last night. Going to try to get myself back in gear, but being 5,000 words behind sucks.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#65 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Sounds like you had a rough few days Defiance. Word count doesn't mean much when you have priorities to cover like you did. The process might be easy to fall back into since you've already got your foot in the door.

The writing has been easier since I've started focusing on individual scenes of interest. The opportunities to write, though, are few and far between. In light of the shitstorm of work this month, I can say with almost-certainty that 50,000 is out of my reach (unless I find a few days off -- not likely). I'm still getting stuff onto the page somewhat consistently, but only about 600-800 a day.

#66 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

This is what weekends are for, aye. Took many an hour but I pumped out like 4k words today (huzzah for my greatest achievement thus far).
Things are finally getting a little more complicated storywise. My atrocious world-building abilities have been put to the test, and the novel's locale seems just a touch more 'alive' now. But no less juvenile, alas.
It's funny how I don't give a damn about my own notes, and just let the Force guide my fingers. I wonder where my plot will end up in three weeks' time as I sure as hell have no idea. Maybe I'll surprise even myself!
Kept a steady pace this week and thus halved the initial goal. In celebration of this monumental occasion, I'm going to sleep.

This post has been edited by Rictus: 09 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

#67 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

My last two weeks have just been terrible, I'm within the the base limits but I'm nowhere near my personal goal.

Tonight though is the Night of Writing Dangerously so let's see what I can do tonight.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#68 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

I've been doing Nano a few times, usually within the self-appointed goal (which is less than 50K, I'm just not a fast writer). Last year it went super well and I got more than double what I planned, but this year I have to drag the words onto the page ... erm, screen, kicking and screaming, and I suspect the ruckus keeps my neighbours awake. ^_^

*goes back and grabs another bunch of words by the hair*

#69 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on 16 November 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

My last two weeks have just been terrible, I'm within the the base limits but I'm nowhere near my personal goal.

Tonight though is the Night of Writing Dangerously so let's see what I can do tonight.

Well I hope you manage to boost up to your goal. Is the writing of the story itself slowing you or is RL just getting in the way?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#70 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostGabriele, on 17 November 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

I've been doing Nano a few times, usually within the self-appointed goal (which is less than 50K, I'm just not a fast writer). Last year it went super well and I got more than double what I planned, but this year I have to drag the words onto the page ... erm, screen, kicking and screaming, and I suspect the ruckus keeps my neighbours awake. ^_^

*goes back and grabs another bunch of words by the hair*

sorry for double post.

Never said hi to you on the forums so...hello :(. Really sounds like you have a ton of experience if you write the Nano so regularly. Hows your story shaping up? Are any of you writing with a genre in mind?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#71 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been pretty active on the forums when they started, but then hit a time in my life when I had to decide to cut a bit on my internet procrastination, so I let this place and Westeros fall by the wayside. Sorry. ^_^ But I've kept reading the occasional thread.

I'm writing historical fiction. I think there's a post about my NiPs somewhere. Lemme see if I can find and update it.

EDITED: Yep, found it: Your Works in Progress. The very first post was mine *blushes*. I've updated it and added the newest project at the end of the thread.

This post has been edited by Gabriele: 18 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

#72 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

So where we all at? I've been shooting for half of the fifty, and I'm shy a couple thousand. Just need to steal an hour or four today.

#73 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostGabriele, on 18 November 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been pretty active on the forums when they started, but then hit a time in my life when I had to decide to cut a bit on my internet procrastination, so I let this place and Westeros fall by the wayside. Sorry. :( But I've kept reading the occasional thread.

I'm writing historical fiction. I think there's a post about my NiPs somewhere. Lemme see if I can find and update it.

EDITED: Yep, found it: Your Works in Progress. The very first post was mine *blushes*. I've updated it and added the newest project at the end of the thread.

I totally understand, I had to disappear from the forums during my finals year. it's kinda scary how much time you can spend on this site just reading stuf up.

Oooh, I read the summarys. You seem to have a lot of writing going on. The story sounds really detailed! Have you got a site up with your prologues? I'd be really interested in reading them. NanoWrimo must be a focus month for you then?

On topic: Last day of the Nano. Wishing you all luck meeting your targets!

#74 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Strangely enough my whole story fit into 50k words, mostly. I wanted it to be a prequel, and to judge the worth of my ideas. In a moment I'll be pushing on, I think, goal or no goal. A gruesome conclusion awaits! Ending this feels a tad difficult now as another story has been occupying my thoughts for a while.
But for now, I'll just sit back and marvel at my word counter. This has been an educational journey, and I do believe that I have come far enough to feel a measure of pride.

#75 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

I've got a bunch of scenes strung along what might be a storyline, but nowhere near enough detail to be coherent. This month has been rough for me, and I've easily cleared 50k words for my final term papers for uni if not for NaNo(half was all I could manage). That said, this has been one of the first times I've seriously approached creative writing and I like it. It's usually fun, and a good way to relax.

#76 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

I failed yet again. Real life took over too much and I simply either didn't have the time, or when I did find the time I was exhausted.

Anyways, I have what I'd consider a fair outline and about 4000 words...but the good thing I'll take away from this is the start on a new piece of a fiction that I'll continue to write.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users