Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

About the Imperial Warren Speculation/Assumption

#1 User is offline   Tearas 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hello everyone. New member here! Loving this forum so far, cant help but say that i feel excited everytime i finish a book, just so i can read topics about that particular book in here. Been offered great explanations so far and been raised a few good questions too. Now i'll stop blabering and get to my point.

Putting some pieces together i have established an opinion that the Imperial Warren is actually the remnant of Kallors destroyed realm. Anyone else jumped to this conclusion and more importand, how could that be possible? Is this a RAFO? Thank you in advance.

#2 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

What sort of things bring you to that idea?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

I don't think it is ever out right confirmed in the books but yes, it is probable that the scorched remnants of Kallors land was made into what is now the Imperial Warren. As to how this happened, the clue lies in the undoing of K'rul. To leave Jacuruku to heal, K'rul seems to have removed the damage or maybe the top layer of the continent and fashioned a (pocket?) Warren to hold it. This in term, considering the curse and his words in the prologue, is probably what weakened K'rul to the point that he fades away.

#4 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

I was being coy Apt :D

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

And I was answering his question... Check Mate, Paran.

#6 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Crustaceous Apt, on 12 September 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

It always is Apt!

Only Tearas is female. Boom.

This post has been edited by Ganoes Paran: 12 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

#7 User is offline   Tearas 

• Recruit

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Interesting. Thank you for the answer, and the coy-ness, i guess... Posted Image Would i be called crazy if i relevate the existance of Warrens with actually being other planets, therefore is Erikson treading on the concepts of multiverses, time/space travelling? I do so beacause of the descriptions of various Warrens as "having 2 moons and x suns" etc. And the concept of other stars/planets observations and linking them to deities and supreme beings exists in ancient cultures (e.g Greek, Egyptian and Chinese as comes to mind). My question thereby is: are we witnessing sci-fi concepts in a epic fantasy? I would love that, but then again i dont think there is a clear statement of that in the books, just wanted to know if someone shared my view. Then again this topic may be just plain stupid, and a excellent reason for me not to study.

#8 User is offline   Tearas 

• Recruit

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ganoes Paran, on 12 September 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

It always is Apt!

Male with beard here friend. Sorry to dissapoint you

#9 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Tearas, on 12 September 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Interesting. Thank you for the answer, and the coy-ness, i guess... Posted Image Would i be called crazy if i relevate the existance of Warrens with actually being other planets, therefore is Erikson treading on the concepts of multiverses, time/space travelling? I do so beacause of the descriptions of various Warrens as "having 2 moons and x suns" etc. And the concept of other stars/planets observations and linking them to deities and supreme beings exists in ancient cultures (e.g Greek, Egyptian and Chinese as comes to mind). My question thereby is: are we witnessing sci-fi concepts in a epic fantasy? I would love that, but then again i dont think there is a clear statement of that in the books, just wanted to know if someone shared my view. Then again this topic may be just plain stupid, and a excellent reason for me not to study.

Again I don't want to be a spoil sport. I think what you say could apply to the Azath. You do find out more about the Warrens later on in the series. Mainly how they were created or from where they came.

#10 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Tearas, on 12 September 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

It always is Apt!

Shh, pretend that he is wrong first. We'll clarify the rest later.

#11 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Man. If this wasn't the MoI forum I'd be all over this. instead I'll play it safe.

When Kalam, Keneb and Minala are traveling the warren in Deadhouse Gates, they notice a giant pit:

The ash formed compacted layers, revealing past variations in the temperature and ferocity of the fires that had incinerated this land – and everything on it. The layers varied in thickness as well. One of the thickest was an arm's length in depth and looked solid with compacted, shattered bone. Immediately below it was a thinner, reddish layer of what looked like brick dust. Other layers revealed only charred bones, mottled with black patches rimmed in white. Those few that he could identify looked human in size – perhaps slightly longer of limb. The banded wall opposite him was at least six arm-spans deep. We stride ancient death, the remains of . . . millions.
His gaze slowly descended to the pit's floor. It was crowded with rusted, corroded mechanisms, all alike though strewn about. Each was the size of a trader's wagon, and indeed huge spoked iron wheels were visible.

It seems like it was could have been something else before K'rul dumped the damage to Jacaruku in there. K'rul's words in MoI were "I've prepared a place". Which could mean that it was an unoccupied warren at the time, perhaps abandoned. Layers of civilizations is a big theme in Deadhouse Gates.

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 12 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Or the ancient machines littered around the Imperial Warren are either Kallorian technology used to destroy the continent or they are some of the artefacts that Kallor and his people found around the continent from which they gained their knowledge of the KCCM.

#13 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

They could have even been used to excavate the pit that Kalam was observing. Its not entirely clear, but its the good kind of ambiguous.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Ganoes Paran, on 12 September 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Tearas, on 12 September 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Again I don't want to be a spoil sport. I think what you say could apply to the Azath. You do find out more about the Warrens later on in the series. Mainly how they were created or from where they came.

As of MoI, just from what we do know, some warrens could be dimensions (Meanas, the Imperial Warren), some could be worlds (the Nascent), some are 'spaces' created by gods, Azath or other powers (Fener's warren, Tremolor) and some could be no particular space whatsoever (Mokra).

Point being the concept of Warrens has a lot of possibilities, more than one of which may be accurate.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

I think Abyss is Steven Erikson

#16 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

The dictionary definition is that a warren is "a maze of passageways or small rooms" and the word "labyrinth" is usually synonymous with the word as well. I would just imagine that for right now, with the "small rooms" being the divisions and subdivisions that encompass, empower or are otherwise related to the specific aspects of the magic. Worry posted an awesome picture of a rabbit warren once that was simultaneously hilarious and very explanatory.

#17 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Tearas, on 12 September 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

It always is Apt!

Semantics!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#18 User is offline   Braven's barber 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Ganoes Paran, on 12 September 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I think Abyss is Steven Erikson

He is not the Steven Erikson, he's a very naughty boy