• You cannot reply to this topic

When does this start getting good?

#21 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Duikers, on 27 August 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

End of Disc One, on 27 August 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

I was in the same boat as you, obvakhi. Loved GotM and people overhyped DG for me. But I recommend pushing through and sticking with the series, because most of the books are fantastic.

can i assign negative reputation?

Yes, though it's often not recommended.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#22 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

zenMichael, on 28 August 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

obvakhi, on 27 August 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

The only characters that I care about are the 2 Bridgeburners & Crokus/Apsalar, since they were in the first book.

I've never, ever, ever, ever understood this reasoning. "The only reason I care about anyone in book 2 is because they were in book 1." But ... they weren't in a book BEFORE that. Don't you at all trust the writer that made you care about those new characters in the last book to make you care about new new characters in this book? Sure, that doesn't ALWAYS happen (there are a LOT of characters in MBotF that I don't like, but ... there are a HELL OF A LOT of characters overall, so no biggie), but c'mon. A friend of mine read GotM & had the same reaction. I told him to skip DG, read MoI, then stop reading. That's what he did. He dug the two books. /shrug/ That's an odd form of insanity to me, but hey, to each their own.

Also, the crepuscular potsherds, man.

Yeah, I've never gotten that, either. Crokus and Apsalar were new characters one book ago, as were Kalam and Fiddler. And GotM is the shortest book, too. Duiker's fucking great.

Hell, some of my favorite characters don't even show up until the fourth book... or even the fifth or sixth.

#23 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

obvakhi, on 31 August 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Ok I just finished the book. I'll take back what I said about Duiker at least... he was the most interesting(and sad) of the new characters, even though it took awhile. I enjoyed the ending, enough to keep me reading. Overall I still prefer GOTM... and I'm hoping MOI will live up to the hype more.

MoI is pretty great. Better than DG? I don't know, in my mind they're both incredible. It has more of the characters from GotM, though. Whiskeyjack, Anomander Rake, Quick Ben, Kruppe, etc. Plus a bunch of new ones, of course, of whom many totally kick ass. Read on, and post any questions or thoughts in the MoI subforum as you do (though be careful for spoilers).

#24 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

MoI has a scene that was so poignant, so awesome and so humbling that it brought tears to my eyes. It will do this to you as well.

#25 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

i loved every book just finished Blood & Bone in fact, onto FOD! But I think reading great series' such as this is as much about reading characters you don't like as the ones you do. You have to learn to hate or learn to love em! but I agree with many others, KEEP READING!! Crokus and Apsalar have a great story worthy of reading, Coltaine and Duiker are total Legends and I hope you will come to respect them. The book, as with the rest are all diamonds. Great story arcs await in each, some characters will appear, some will disappear for 4 books or more! But eventually, everybody turns up, whether in the main series or in ICE's. There are so many characters that they have to leave some at times and go elsewhere, do not dispair and please keep reading, thank us later haha ;-)
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#26 User is offline   obvakhi 

• Recruit

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

Fiddler, on 30 November 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

MoI has a scene that was so poignant, so awesome and so humbling that it brought tears to my eyes. It will do this to you as well.

If you're talking about
Spoiler

-

#27 User is offline   Hazmandoo 

• Recruit

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

obvakhi, on 09 December 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

Fiddler, on 30 November 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

If you're talking about
Spoiler

-

Spoiler

#28 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

obvakhi, on 27 August 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

The only characters that I care about are the 2 Bridgeburners & Crokus/Apsalar, since they were in the first book.

If you don't like meeting new characters, I'm afraid this series will disappoint you.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 20 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#29 User is offline   sting01 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

DG is the book I have the most reread (6 times so far in a 3 years span, to be compared with 'A little town in Germany' from K. Le Carre 4 times over a span of 40 years, and that because I read it first in french, then in german, then in english, and tried it in thai).

Every time I did read it I was facing with the discovery of a new thing! That book is full, you have epic, you have initiation to tribal warfare, you do have an interresting approach over the 7 cities culture (living in SEA I can understand where it came to the Author), you have a presentatin (succint and brief) of the importance of symbols for a whole civilisation ...

That book deal little with phylosophie (opposed to other book) and with epic as per say; but deal with all the others aspect of a civilisation.

It is layers over layers over layers over ....

#30 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

I can see where they are coming from because on first read I found myself skimming some parts of DG (on the re-read I hung on just about every word by comparison) - but as has been said, the pay-off from all plot lines is tremendous when you get there.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#31 User is offline   Aertheron 

• Corporal

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

To enjoy MBF, you need to just release your controll urges, and temper your curiosity, and just enjoy what you are reading at that time.
There are 10 books which make up an epic story, this story unfolds from the view of many different characters, and you are litterally thrown into a whirlwind of information, there is no use fighting it, just hang back and enjoy the ride.

I promise the end of this book is EPIC, the story itself was for me a tad slow, but man it was worth it.

#32 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Yes, I still have scratches and bruises from when I was literally thrown into that whirlwind. Goes to show how dangerous information can be.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#33 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

lit·er·al·ly
adverb

in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"

lit·er·ar·il·y
adverb

pertaining to or of the nature of books and writings, especially those classed as literature: literary history.

Nec·ro post·ing
noun

refers to the act of posting in a thread, or replying to a topic, that has been inactive for a long period of time.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users