Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Surviving Dassem

#1 User is offline   justsomefarmer 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:55 AM

Just a bit of confusion: I'm near the end of the novel, and I think at some point near the end of part 2 a character (Shimmer, I believe), says something about Skinner being the only one to have faced Dassem and survived, however, earlier in the novel someone also comments on how not even Dassem could finish off Ryllandaras. Is this meant to be a lack of knowledge on Shimmer's part, and if so, is Skinner really the only person to have survived combat with Dassem?

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

It's Toc Elder who thinks that Dassem couldn't defeat Ryllandaras, in his recollection; now I don't recall if Li Heng came before D'avore in the original conquest, but it's true Shimmer doesn't know everything. She is definitely telling the truth as she know it. But in context, she's referring to sword combat. I think Ryllandaras is a whole other category she wasn't even thinking about. They're not exactly dueling. Hope that makes sense.

This post has been edited by worry: 21 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   YouSikFuk 

• Recruit

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

well maybe Toc is telling the truth in his own perspective , the real truth is somewhat blurry. There's no actual recount from Dassem anyway. You gotta love SE and ICE for always mindfucking our mind for every history-related thing in Malazan world
A : YOU SIK FUK!!
B : yes sire?

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

View Postjustsomefarmer, on 21 August 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

Just a bit of confusion: I'm near the end of the novel, and I think at some point near the end of part 2 a character (Shimmer, I believe), says something ... is Skinner really the only person to have survived combat with Dassem?

Don't have the quote handy, but I'm pretty sure Shimmer was thinking that Skinner was the only Crimson Guardsman to survive combat with Dassem, not the only person ever.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Ur talking about apple's and oranges here. Dassem is First Sword and arguably the best swordsman in existence. Ryllandaras is à massive beast/ascendant who.is.incredibly ancient. Maybe Dassem would cut him to ribbons but then again, maybe Ryllandaras would dine on some Dassem steaks.....I can't figure out how to hide spoilers on my cell so il just say;

If I were a betting man, my money would be on Dassem.

#6 User is offline   zeeshan002 

• Recruit

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:26 AM

But in context, she's referring to sword combat. I think Ryllandaras is a whole other category she wasn't even thinking about. They're not exactly dueling. Hope that makes sense.

This post has been edited by zeeshan002: 18 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users