Malazan Empire: Dassem Ultor - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dassem Ultor untimely death

#1 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:physics, math, basketball, fire, beer...etc.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

I can't remember which book it was in, but in one of the previous books there was mention of how Dassem Ultor supposedly died. I can't remember...does anyone want to save me from having to pull out GotM and DG?
res ipsa loquitor

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

From the GotM prologue:

"'The First Sword of Empire. Dassem Ultor. We heard it in the capital before we left. He's dead. Is it true? Is Dassem dead?'
The man Whiskeyjack seemed to flinch, his gaze unwavering on the Mouse. 'Such is war,' he muttered, under his breath, as if the words were not meant for anyone else's ears.
'You're with the Third. I thought the Third was with him, in Seven Cities. At Y'Ghatan --'
'Hood's breath, they're still looking for his body in the still-hot rubble of that damned city...'
'...It's said he betrayed a god.'"

And then later in GotM via Tattersail:

Back in Seven Cities,’ she said quietly, ‘the story goes that the Emperor’s First Sword – his commander of his armies – Dassem Ultor, had accepted a god’s offer. Hood made Dassem his Knight of Death. Then something happened, something went . . . wrong. And Dassem renounced the title, swore a vow of vengeance against Hood – against the Lord of Death himself. All at once other Ascendants started meddling, manipulating events. It all culminated with Dassem’s murder, then the Emperor’s assassination, and blood in the streets, temples at war, sorceries unleashed.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thanks D'rek!!! But there was no mention of him drowning right?
res ipsa loquitor

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostDuikers, on 14 August 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Thanks D'rek!!! But there was no mention of him drowning right?

Nope. That was a bunch of other Old Guard. Sort of.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

yea...im pretty sure i remember there being mention of someone drowning in Deadhouse Gates....and now it has come back into play in HoC...guess ill have to keeep reading....
res ipsa loquitor

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

In DG there's reference to a Krust brother drowning, but he turned out to be the captain of the Ragstopper (the ship Kalam was on).

#7 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

hmm...perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me...im trying to figure out who the guy is that lives in the tower with a dinosaur skeleton that he is putting together and he punched Karsa in the ribs and messed him up pretty good....he mentioned that he faked his death...drowning...at first i thought he might have been Dassem Ultor, but apparently he didnt supposedly drown...in one of the first two books i thought there was mention of someone drowning...maybe it was the leader of the Talons or something...i just cant remember
res ipsa loquitor

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostDuikers, on 14 August 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

hmm...perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me...im trying to figure out who the guy is that lives in the tower with a dinosaur skeleton that he is putting together and he punched Karsa in the ribs and messed him up pretty good....he mentioned that he faked his death...drowning...at first i thought he might have been Dassem Ultor, but apparently he didnt supposedly drown...in one of the first two books i thought there was mention of someone drowning...maybe it was the leader of the Talons or something...i just cant remember

He was the brother of the captain in DG.
Tthey both faked their deaths by drowning, because that was what all the cool kids were doing :doh:

#9 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

The Emperor was said to have a watery grave, meant to have gone down with the Twisted in Malaz Harbour I believe.

#10 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 August 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Tthey both faked their deaths by drowning, because that was what all the cool kids were doing :doh:

Is that something that is in HoC or is it from your deductive reasoning? :D
res ipsa loquitor

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostDuikers, on 14 August 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

That's based on HoC and earlier books and a certain amount of reasoning because SE so rarely just tells us something like that outright.
And it's what all the cool kids i know were doing.

#12 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostAbyss, on 14 August 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

That's based on HoC and earlier books and a certain amount of reasoning because SE so rarely just tells us something like that outright.
And it's what all the cool kids i know were doing.

I see...i guess I haven't gotten that far yet....
res ipsa loquitor

#13 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostJean-Claude Van tiam, on 14 August 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

The Emperor was said to have a watery grave, meant to have gone down with the Twisted in Malaz Harbour I believe.

The Twist certainly did slip its moorings the night of The Return, they say, but I don't recall any legends of the Emperor being on-board. In any case, there seems to be a lot of rumours and legends about what happened to Kellanved and Dancer, and of course almost nobody got enough first-hand knowledge to know for sure just what happened!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#14 User is offline   Korbal 

• Recruit

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Tthey both faked their deaths by drowning, because that was what all the cool kids were doing :D

Is that something that is in HoC or is it from your deductive reasoning? :doh:

There were a few references throughout the previous books that could lead one to deduce who Cartheron Crust's brother is.
Starts with a U, and yes, he "drowned".

#15 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

all i know at this point in HoC (about 1/3 of the way finished) is that there was a man on the northern coast of Seven Cities...15 days from Erhlitan on foot...who has a tower with a dinosaur skeleton in it and he faked his death by drowning...he is known as Keeper or not at all so he says....thats all i can gather about him so far...but i suspected he was either Dassem Ultor(because of the punch he delivers to Karsa Orlong) or some other key figure from the time before Lasseens usurping.
res ipsa loquitor

#16 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostDuikers, on 15 August 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

all i know at this point in HoC (about 1/3 of the way finished) is that there was a man on the northern coast of Seven Cities...15 days from Erhlitan on foot...who has a tower with a dinosaur skeleton in it and he faked his death by drowning...he is known as Keeper or not at all so he says....thats all i can gather about him so far...but i suspected he was either Dassem Ultor(because of the punch he delivers to Karsa Orlong) or some other key figure from the time before Lasseens usurping.

In DG when Coltaine punches Gesler, there was a part about not seeing someone who could punch that hard since "the guy who lives with the skeletons". He did fake his death as did his brother who is indeed the captain of the ragstopper. Dassem was more known
for his swordplay, than for his punches.

#17 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

thanks for all of your response...i really appreciate it!
res ipsa loquitor

#18 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostDuikers, on 14 August 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

I can't remember which book it was in, but in one of the previous books there was mention of how Dassem Ultor supposedly died. I can't remember...does anyone want to save me from having to pull out GotM and DG?

Oh No!!! pull out GOTM :D read to page 3 :D :)

#19 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostDuikers, on 14 August 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

yea...im pretty sure i remember there being mention of someone drowning in Deadhouse Gates....and now it has come back into play in HoC...guess ill have to keeep reading....

yh in dg and hoc they keep saying the napan old guard "drowned"

#20 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Postkoehkont, on 16 August 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

View PostDuikers, on 15 August 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

In DG when Coltaine punches Gesler, there was a part about not seeing someone who could punch that hard since "the guy who lives with the skeletons". He did fake his death as did his brother who is indeed the captain of the ragstopper. Dassem was more known
for his swordplay, than for his punches.

Yeah look for clues for someone who can hit so hard it breaks houses in half :) only someone that awesome could knock out Karsa Orlong :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users