Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

British and Irish Lions in Australia 2013 It's time to talk serious rugby

#1 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

So with just one week and one warm-up match to go before the first test, it seems like a good point to start some debate on the prospects for the tests. After today's win against a very motivated Waratahs team without a lot of their normal frst XV there just seems to be one new injury worry in Jamie Roberts. Based on the showing today I would not be surprised if we see he following next Saturday

Vunipola
T Youngs
Jones
AWJ
POC
Croft
Faletau
Warburton ©
Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
Davies
Zebo
Halfpenny

Bench
Corbisuero
Hibbard
Cole
Parling
Lydiate
BOD
Hogg or Farrell
Kearney

#2 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

That would pretty much be my team on current form, however, although Youngs has been the most accurate hooker on tour Gatland likes Hibbard and the controlled violence he brings to the table. Vunipola has been a revelation, especially considering it was thrust onto him with the injuries to Jenkins and Healy. AJ, AWJ and POC are certs, however the back row is still up in the air as they have all been playing well, I think It will be Heaslip, Warburton and then either Croft, O'Brien or Lydiate with Tipuric on the bench. Faletau has probably made the most errors on tour yet he is one of the first names on the Welsh team sheet if fit, who knows.

Phillips and Sexton are certs, as are North and Halfpenny who have both been the standout players on tour for me along with Vunipola, BOD and perhaps Tipuric. If Roberts is fit he will play at 12, based on the last game it is now a toss up between the equally fantastic BOD and Davies as to who will partner him. Zebo is a good call as the Crims will have to work harder to contain him, that said I fear Gatland will plump for Cuthbert who whilst a proven finisher, will get targeted on the blitz and overlap. Fuck it pick Shane Williams ! What an odd call up, geographically prudent but odd none the less.

Really looking forward to the first test !

On a side note I am sick of some nationalistic bollocks doing the rounds on some of the sites and blogs I frequent. Save that shit for the 6 nations where it belongs and invariably I might add, remains good natured. Some of the stick Warburton has been getting is ridiculous, FFS he had'nt played for 7 weeks before the Reds game and was carrying an injury and they won. Also 47-17 against a pretty decent and dirty Waratahs team is a flogging in anyones book. You don't do well in games against Super 15 teams unless your 7 is doing what he's supposed to and Warburton is one of the best
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#3 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

The overnight reports from Dr James Robson are somewhat mixed - North has been running so must be more hope of him playing. Roberts will not make it, so while it avoids a decision on who to exclude between Davies and BOD, it leaves us with an untried combination and BOD with a severe dislike of inside centre. Not sure of Davies has played there? Other wing options we have discussed are Halfpenny to play there and bring in Kearney at FB given his quality and after a good performance on Saturday.

The back row balance is difficult, there are so many speculators. I liked Warburton's captaincy especially his referee management - and given the first ref is NZ with no ability to manage a scrummage that is going to be important. If you were going on form, you would have Croft or Lydiate at 6 depending on whether you wanted scavenger/tackler or line out and speed and Tip at 7. I see BC Moore is going for O'Brien at 8 to compensate - it is going to be desperately fine judgement so fingers crossed Gatland gets it right.

I think 2-1 for Lions after a first test win but this is going to be a real scrap. My brother gets on a flight from Dublin with 150 Irish supporters - and Trevor Brennan and the Claw. Only reason he went with them was for the craic - and I think that will be just as important.

#4 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

So not a great surprise that he went for Cuthbert but I am very nervous about his defence. Maitland as back 3 cover is also a risk given the tackles he has missed but maybe too soon for Kearney.

Corbs over Maka is tactical - Corbs is the more destructive scrummager and hopefully not pinged as often. Maka will come on after 60 and rampage. Youngs more consistent than Hibbard though I am sure he will make it off the bench. Back row putting huge faith in Warburton at 7 but was always going to be so at least for 1st test - changes might come if Hooper does a number on him.

Centre pairing selected itself with Roberts' injury - has Jonathan Davies played 12 before - hope so.

Looking forward to Saturday now - will have to make do with talkSport commentary as driving but hopefully not too exciting while navigating the M40

#5 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

3 players stretchered off, and 14 points lost on 5 missed kicks. The score may read a Lions win, but they only won because we can't kick for shit. :p

I am sick and tired of seeing the Wallabies lose because we've never had a proper kicker. Been watching the same thing happen for the last 25 years.

Far too many games we should have won handily lost purely for that reason.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Undercooked Wallabies should have won at a canter if they had kicked their goals, though this was probably the most advantageous Super 15 ref they could have possibly had, so maybe the pen count will be falling from here on in. Losing three backs was pretty unfortunate but to an extent you wonder whether a lack of match fitness contributed. Lions will take the win in those circumstances. Disappointing that foul play from Horwill went totally unpunished, but I guess it is normal when the Lions visit - as BOD found out in 05. I will not be surprised if we get to Sydney with score 1-1 but I expect both teams to step up their games.

#7 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostSombra, on 22 June 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

3 players stretchered off, and 14 points lost on 5 missed kicks. The score may read a Lions win, but they only won because we can't kick for shit. Posted Image

I am sick and tired of seeing the Wallabies lose because we've never had a proper kicker. Been watching the same thing happen for the last 25 years.

Far too many games we should have won handily lost purely for that reason.

Nonsense.

A bunch of giant fannies playing in the backs and a defective character with a genetic predisposition towards criminality is what did for you old son. :p/>

Exciting if less than skillful game that the Lions were lucky to win. When Beale lined up that final pot at goal I could just Imagine the Welsh players thinking "Not again !" jammy bastards winning in the last couple of minutes. To be fair Aussie should have been out of sight if they had made their kicks, but that's test match rugby and a coach who refuses to pick an out half at out half ! Ridiculous.

What worried me was that Gatland seemed to stick to a preordained plan when he subbed the front row. He has to get at least 70 mins out of Jones and Corbisiero for the next test, Youngs as well who I thought was outstanding. We seemed to lose control of the game when they went off and losing those scrums was criminal. The ref was a nightmare and not test match quality, hopefully Joubert will be better next week but i'm not holding out any hope after his performance in the WC final. The IRB has to sort out the discrepencies between N/H and S/H interpretations, particularly at the ruck. Both BOD and Warburton have said they were afraid of competing for the ball after about 20 mins in case they got carded ! It's like watching a different game. All this talk of "adapting to the ref" is bollocks, a level playing field is what's needed.

As for the next test I reckon Bowe and Roberts will be back to shore up the defence. Tough on Davies as he's done nothing wrong and to be fair Cuthbert would feel aggrieved as he's a try machine. I also think the back row needs to change so I reckon either Lydiate for Croft or Faletau for Heaslip. Croft's line out work was great so he might stay but someone has to help Warburton at the breakdown and protect Phillips who was identified pre match, targeted and nullified. Going forward he's great but with shit ball and not enough clearing out he's exposed. I still think Gatland will go with him for the second test and he rarely has 2 bad games in a row but he needs to pull his socks up, his chase back for the first try was woeful.

If the Lions up the physicality they will win a tight second test, a lot of those aussies were blowing hard and not match fit so really smash into them straight up and go from there !

Chin up Sombie, that Folau is some player.
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#8 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

I think the loss of POC for the rest of the tour is pretty massive and with Corbs being treated this week, it feels like we are going to be somewhat underpowered - if the citing officer had any guts that would probably have been parity but we will have Roberts and Bowe available so the backs will be stronger. I agree that upping the physicality is the way to go.

Parling in for POC means line out will be stronger so I expect Croft to make way either for Lydiate or Tipuric, as the breakdown has to be sorted. Hopefully Corbs is fit and then front row as for 1st test but stays on for 60-65 mins. Heaslip has played better than he did in 6N so maybe should stay. They had Phillips number - he has to be more effective or switch to Youngs - they have to give Genia less room, which is also argument for Tip at 7. Agree with you that backs will be Roberts for Davies and Bowe for Cuthbert. Prediction is Wallabies by 3-5 points setting up a crunch decider with Roman Poite as le ref and Lions scrummaging Wallabies off the park - I hope

#9 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

O'Connell is a massive loss, fair play to the hard bastard for playing on with a fractured arm. That's an interesting point about Parling, his line out skills do make it easier to drop Croft for a more destructive player like Lydiate or O'Brien. Interestingly Lydiate has been named captain for tomorrow's game and although he's super fit, the way he plays i'm not sure if he could play a full test 4days later.

Agree about Corbisiero, he is vital for establishing forward dominance early on and would also be a big blow, looks like Tom Court has been called up as cover. Funnily enough he would probably waltz into his native Wallaby side !

I really don't think anybody in the Lions camp will want to give the Aussies the momentum going into a decider in Sydney in front of 80,000. With Ioane and McCabe definitely out and Ashley Cooper and Barnes doubtful, i'm quietly confident we can pinch it by 3-7. Saying that it will be interesting to see who Deans picks at 10, excitement building !

#10 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

Disappointed but hardly surprised we are heading for a Sydney decider 1-1. Not a very good game overall and The Wallabies were good for their try. If Lions had shown a little more nous for half the final quarter suspect they would not have been defending quite so much - but that was what POC gave the front five. Having said that Vunipola recovered somewhat after an awful start in the scrum but really hope Corbs is fit andf available next week. If he starts with AJ and Youngs I think we will see something more stable - also with Monsieur Poite blowing, we may see less incomprehensible decisions. Evans or Parling - probably Parling. Back row depends on Warburton injury but if he is unavailable will Gats go with Tipuric? Need to get to Genia next week. Line out and driving maul seemed to be working really well but then they failed to hit the jumpers but it was effective if not pretty - more please!

Roberts if fit has to come back at 12 and then it is either Davies or BOD - think I would choose Davies as a foil for Roberts' power but either will work. SH decision - go back to Phillips is probably Gats' prference but Wallabies ate him for breakfast last week so really not sure.

The other factor is the IRB judiciary appeal - Horwill may not make it to Sydney - belated justice for tap dancing on AWJ head.

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Fuck you, Wallabies.

Fuck you.

Worst. Peformance. Ever. And the match isn't even over yet. But at 41-16 with 10 to go it might as well be.

We really need some decent leadership. James O'Connor might be able to score tries, but he can't lead, he's no number 10.

Congrats to the Lions, although they still should have gone into this game 2-0 down IF O'CONNOR OR BEALE HADN'T MISSED GOALS MY DEAD GRANDMOTHER COULD HAVE FARTED OVER THE BLACK DOT.

:p

:p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostSombra, on 06 July 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Fuck you, Wallabies.

Fuck you.

Worst. Peformance. Ever. And the match isn't even over yet. But at 41-16 with 10 to go it might as well be.

We really need some decent leadership. James O'Connor might be able to score tries, but he can't lead, he's no number 10.

Congrats to the Lions, although they still should have gone into this game 2-0 down IF O'CONNOR OR BEALE HADN'T MISSED GOALS MY DEAD GRANDMOTHER COULD HAVE FARTED OVER THE BLACK DOT.

:p/>

:p/>

That. Was. Just. Awesome. :p

#13 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

A magic moment - 2013 Lions - stunning today

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  image.jpg (237.39K)
    Number of downloads: 0

#14 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

I enjoyed that immensely.
IMMENSELY

please carry on

#15 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Just watched the second half again from the point that it looked as if the Lions had let the Wallabies back in. At 19-16 I was wondering if it was going to be another come back and then there was the turning point - the break out of defence with Sexton and North flying down the wing until being tackled just past halfway. The first time that the backs started playing since the 1st test and the rest is now Lions history. But it was a huge foundation delivered by the front 5 and AJ and Corbs absolutely beasted the Wallabies in the scrum. Great to see the scrum allowed to be more than just a restart and Poite's refereeing of the scrum and breakdown a contrast to the Kiwi ref Bollock from the 1st test.

0.5p a worthy man of the series and overall this will go down as one of the finest Lions teams - coming through injury and adversity in losing POC then Warburton as well as numerous other injuries. Really pleased that BOD has a series win too.

Credit o the Wallabies for making it such a close series - I assume Deans may take the rap but this side is going to improve with some good players coming through. Not just the obvious ones like Folau but also guys like Mogg and Mowen. Will be tough in the Championship but am sure sharper for this series.

#16 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I thought Mogg was away at one stage then (I forget who it was, Im drinking) caught with a fucking ace tap tackle, that was a massive stop cause he was away like a steam train.

#17 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Attached File  article-2357286-1AAFCF50000005DC-150_634x423.jpg (75.55K)

View PostMacros, on 06 July 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

I thought Mogg was away at one stage then (I forget who it was, Im drinking) caught with a fucking ace tap tackle, that was a massive stop cause he was away like a steam train.

Parling with the tap. A beaut :thumbsup:/>

This post has been edited by Fid: 07 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

#18 User is offline   Fid 

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Attached File  393777-scrum.jpg (66.5K)

A thing of joy....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic