• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Profound Knowledge Once again Erikson puts more than words in his stories

#1 User is offline   CatalystCorpse 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I have come across a lot of passages like this one where Erikson tries to explain life itself as well as tell a story (and I think we can all agree they are amazing stories).

Karsa Orlong looked at Samar Dev. 'What is this frozen time, witch?'
'The past, Teblor.'
She watched his eyes narrow thoughtfully, then he grunted and said,'And the unfound time is the future, meaning that now is the flowing time-'
'Yes!' Boatfinder cried. 'You speak life's very secret!'

Or am I reading to much into passages like these?

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

I don't think you're reading too much into it. Erikson is very conscious of what he's going as a writer. There have been a few instances where he's broke apart passages that he's written. The level of detail that goes into each paragraph is pretty astounding, especially since he says a lot of it is stuff he does subconsciously.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

But what does the penis bone mean?!?!?
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#4 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Penis bones are sometimes worn as charms for luck or fertility...apparently.

This post has been edited by Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast: 29 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#5 User is offline   CatalystCorpse 

• Recruit

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

The penis bone part is true. Www.theevolutionstore.com/store/penis-bones-og101/

#6 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostDefiance, on 29 May 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

I don't think you're reading too much into it. Erikson is very conscious of what he's going as a writer. There have been a few instances where he's broke apart passages that he's written. The level of detail that goes into each paragraph is pretty astounding, especially since he says a lot of it is stuff he does subconsciously.

Can you link to these times? I'd be interested to read what's going on in his noodle.

#7 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostCatalystCorpse, on 30 May 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

The penis bone part is true. Www.theevolutionstore.com/store/penis-bones-og101/

I knew the significance of the penis bone. I just wanted to bring up the penis bone because, well, it's a penis bone.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#8 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

You're such a penis bone.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#9 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

I wish!

#10 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostCatalystCorpse, on 29 May 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

I have come across a lot of passages like this one where Erikson tries to explain life itself as well as tell a story (and I think we can all agree they are amazing stories).

'The past, Teblor.'
She watched his eyes narrow thoughtfully, then he grunted and said,'And the unfound time is the future, meaning that now is the flowing time-'

Reading Erikson will change you. It is as simple that, so you are not reading too much into it.
For one, you start analyzing from multiple points of view.
Also, he gives a deep historical perspective that you catch on to.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

View Postnacht, on 04 June 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostCatalystCorpse, on 29 May 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

'The past, Teblor.'

Reading Erikson will change you. It is as simple that, so you are not reading too much into it.
For one, you start analyzing from multiple points of view.
Also, he gives a deep historical perspective that you catch on to.

While I agree with this, I think it is probably also important to note that there is a bias here. Personally, Eriksons observations about human nature, equality and power are very much in tune with my own beliefs and so I enjoy reading his at times overly long philosophical musings. I am sure how ever that there are other people out there for whom Eriksons observations sound contrived or false. People who find his observations overly complicated and pandering to hopelessly naive liberal views on economics and human rights.

Those kinds of people can of course go jump off the storm wall.

#12 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

The philosophizing in Malazan is typically very eloquent. It's also vague enough, that it's usually open to multiple, reasonable interpretations. That's what I like about it. There are fantasy/sci-fi authors who are very in-your-face, to the point where it's completely obvious that their Mary Sue character is spouting the author's own brand of political piffle. Erikson is not like this. I think you'd have to make an effort to be offended by him, and it would probably be more of an indication of one's own insecurity.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

unless you simply can't imagine a world where humans can have blue skin. i mean, come on, are we to believe smurfette is the empress of an empire spanning three continents? :angry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users